TOTB - Feedback Please

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

TOTB - Feedback Please

Post by michael »

As visitors to the event what were your thoughts?

What did you like?

What improvements need to be made?

Anything you can think of at all - they normally ask all the club reps for this kind of input afterwards so I thought I'd start the ball rolling early.
Spittinflames

Re: TOTB - Feedback Please

Post by Spittinflames »

Personally i thought it was a crackin day out.

This was my first time to TOTB, Really liked how you could walk around the cars and have a nosy at them while they were queing up for the track, much better than them being barriered off.

They even put a bus on to ferry you from the quater mile to the top end speed area...... excellent =D>

A few more skimply dressed women would of been nice, but hey cant have everything.

The only gripe i think i have is when we were at the max speed area the speed trap clock wasnt working..... maybe it was later on in the day.
Was a shame really cause you'd stand there and see a car come flying up and not have an idea of how quick it was actually going.

Crackin day out though and actually got to say hello to the master (mr edwards) although he seemed a bit stressed (or maybe just consentrating) when i said hello to him. Nice to meet you anyway mark :D
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

i enjoyed the day out. improvements i can think of are :

even more bins to stop the high amount of rubbish blowing over the track !

more clubs should have stands.

fiats should have F1 style "stop that wheel flying down the road" tethers.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Spittinflames wrote:actually got to say hello to the master (mr edwards)

...the master...?

PMSL

Master of snoring! :lol: :eye:

On a serious note...

Excellent day, only marred by the huge queue's for the competitors. As a spectator, I guess more stands would be nice as viewing from a crowd of people 5 deep at the barriers was a pain on times.

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
KrisB

Post by KrisB »

yeah more trade stands and less clutered pit area would be nice
michael

Post by michael »

It cost the organisers £10 per seat for those stands, personally I'd like to see something mobile but more permanent in place up at Elvington if possible.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

A big display at the end of the 1/4 mile telling us what the times were etc?

Hard to hear the tannoy amungst the woohoo's and warming up of the next guys tyres etc etc. Or more screens showing the times?? There was one on the left side which did not seem to be working?

Otherwise was all good.
michael

Post by michael »

ENSMR2 wrote:A big display at the end of the 1/4 mile telling us what the times were etc?

Hell yeah!

The ones in the middle of the 1/4 were only visible to those lucky enough to get near the fence and the TV in the tent was a total PITA the view and updated too slowly.

They really need to update the way results are collected and displayed, I have a feeling the equipment being used is a little 'vintage' when it comes to outputs though.

Good comment though, will add that to the list.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

michael wrote:
ENSMR2 wrote:A big display at the end of the 1/4 mile telling us what the times were etc?

Hell yeah!

The ones in the middle of the 1/4 were only visible to those lucky enough to get near the fence and the TV in the tent was a total PITA the view and updated too slowly.

They really need to update the way results are collected and displayed, I have a feeling the equipment being used is a little 'vintage' when it comes to outputs though.

Good comment though, will add that to the list.

Cool, being my first TOTB, when I got there I was like, "oh, they haven't finished setting up yet" lol.

Was very odd. They had an led display which scrolled both times off quick. But you couldnt tell which one was which. Unless you could hear the announcer. And again, unless you right by the fence, you couldn't really see it. Then you had the problem of the sun shining right off it.

Big board displays at the end of the 1/4 mile like everywhere else gets a :thumleft: from me :D
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

E-Dog wrote:Cool, being my first TOTB, when I got there I was like, "oh, they haven't finished setting up yet" lol.

fpmsl!!

agree with the time boerds tho, as E said, couldn't hear results half of time due to warm up of next guy's tyres.

also some toilets that aren't half a mile walk away (mainly due to ear-ache off the better half!)

more girlies would be nice if we could have "other half" blinkers, was getting fed up with feeling a pair of hands keep turning my head around! ](*,)
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Steve Horrocks wrote:
E-Dog wrote:Cool, being my first TOTB, when I got there I was like, "oh, they haven't finished setting up yet" lol.

fpmsl!!

agree with the time boerds tho, as E said, couldn't hear results half of time due to warm up of next guy's tyres.

also some toilets that aren't half a mile walk away (mainly due to ear-ache off the better half!)

more girlies would be nice if we could have "other half" blinkers, was getting fed up with feeling a pair of hands keep turning my head around! ](*,)

PMSL!

More toilets would have been nice. They were filthy. More so they remain slightly cleaner longer. :lol:
jonno

Post by jonno »

Mr Canny did a superb job - as ever :)

Queueing during the day was ridiculous, 1hr per run for the handling circuit. Not sure what could be done about it, I guess they either limit the event to less cars or start the event earlier, say 9am till 4pm?

Two days would definitely work, maybe even spread two or three weekends apart? The big tuner entries get automatic entry into the second day and the other teams have to "qualify" for the second day. I guess the first day would suffer from less interest from the public, but it would mean that the entire event would run more smoothly. I guess it would also make it more interesting for the non-tuner guys.

All together a very good event though - im just about to start working on my 3.0 V6 supercharged car for next year...anyone want to buy a 3sgte with a gt3071? one careful owner??

Bring it on - again :)

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

splash2 wrote:fiats should have F1 style "stop that wheel flying down the road" tethers.

Yeah, that was extremely dangerous. There's a video of it happening. But what the video doesn't show is where the wheel ended up. It crossed the 1/4 mile lanes at the finish line as cars were approaching... :shock:

Hitting that at 120+ mph doesn't bear thinking about... :shock:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/j ... L20050.flv

And this was the car that had just won the front wheel drive top speed competition at 167mph. I'm just glad for his sake that it didn't come off at that speed!
greeny

Post by greeny »

Top weekend and event! My first time at TOTB and it was awesome. Some top cars there! Improvements I can think of ,

1. More tannoys further down the strip and handling cicuit.

2. Better Bigger/timing boards,

3. Camping areas for spectators?

4. ME in the team!

5. A missus trade stand, where you can trade in 'your' misuss for redline totty! :lol:

6. And more granada V8 superchargers! You've just gotta love that car!

Awesome day and definately be there next year, hopefully taking part!

Cheers Michael.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

greeny wrote:3. Camping areas for spectators?

oh yeah, big one that is! camp sites are a bit pooh cos ya gotta keep noise low at night & can be arsey about BBQ's etc.

so we just camp in a nearby field, keep everything tidy in morning, but it's all more relaxed tha proper camp site!

doubt they'd allow camping on site tho, imagine 5000 people all wondering round late at nite, who you don't know, with access to all the top cars......... doesn't take a genious to realise 2 people could ruin someone's event does it? or am i jus being sceptical?! would be nice to camp tho!

camping for people with tickets thro clubs maybe????
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

michael wrote:As visitors to the event what were your thoughts?

What did you like?

What improvements need to be made?

1) More grandstand seats. With the revenue received it was quite ridiculous the amount of seats provided.

2) Better PA system with more speakers spaced further apart (or one that works! ])

3) Proper timing displays (ones that you can read)

4) More bins! I heard the organisers complaining about the litter (and you will always get some scumbags who will litter everywhere). But there weren't enough bins or bin capacity. I saw loads of bins with litter spilling out, if you don't provide enough capacity what do you expect! )

5) A reliable timing system for the handling circuit. I saw quite a few good runs that didn't result in a time posted (the clock had been triggered early). The commentator kept saying that it was caused by litter breaking the beam at the finish line. BUT I was standing opposite the finish line and can confirm, NO it wasn't!

6) More toilets (and in more places)
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

My 3rd TOTB and the best yet......."What improvements need to be made? "

1.. Club parking area as last year

2.. More grandstand seats and one on the handling course

3.. More loos

4.. More timing screens and tannoys

5.. Every mr2 holding together and achiving what we know they can do for one year at least :wink:

Improvments from last year......

1.. the reintroduction of the top end speed spectator area

2.. IMOC pit area. looked more organised well done michael an the team =D> =D>
450wbhp comming soon
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

sounds like they could do with a prepared launching area on the strip
greeny

Post by greeny »

Steve Horrocks wrote:
greeny wrote:3. Camping areas for spectators?

oh yeah, big one that is! camp sites are a bit pooh cos ya gotta keep noise low at night & can be arsey about BBQ's etc.

so we just camp in a nearby field, keep everything tidy in morning, but it's all more relaxed tha proper camp site!

doubt they'd allow camping on site tho, imagine 5000 people all wondering round late at nite, who you don't know, with access to all the top cars......... doesn't take a genious to realise 2 people could ruin someone's event does it? or am i jus being sceptical?! would be nice to camp tho!

camping for people with tickets thro clubs maybe????

I definately know what you mean! :oops:

12 of us camped in a site and it was a family site, although we didn't know, last minute rush to find one!

Anyways we pitched up as far away from anyone as we could, and bout 8.30 the next morning we were told we was too noisy for the camp site we'd have to go!

Found another camp site behind a pub though(adults only) and all was fine for sat nite!

Camping for club members only would be good for next year though!
System-G

Post by System-G »

The only "improvements" I can think of would be:

Club parking and camping. Tom & I got there a little later than anticipated - good for not queueing to get in, bad for parking (a mile away from IMOC pits).

MLR seemed to be the only club to organise dedicated parking.

The PA system could do with improving. I'm personal mates with the guys who supplied and ran the kit. The system used on the handling circuit was struggling in the heat and system processors seemed to be clipping early as a result. This meant shutting down at the most inconvenient times. More delay lines are also definately required further down the strip. My thoughts have been emailed.
Working in a professional installation and rental audio environment for over 15 years, it comes down to budget most of the time. Not sure if it was the case here???

It looked like cars were strugling to get on the handling circuit with long queues. From a spectator point of view, it seemed the main cause for this was allowing a sighting (Familiarisation) lap followed imediately by a fast lap with the cars being allowed to "cut in front" of the queues.

It looks like with the number of competitors now, the event could be spanned over two days?

Sorry for the essay, I'll get me coat :clown:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “Past Events”