I want..... brand new BEAMS VVti engine.... drool....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Romanv

Re: I want..... brand new BEAMS VVti engine.... drool....

Post by Romanv »

Oh no...

Lotuse elise with 2.6 litre Hyabusa V8 = the ultimate car. :D

Radical Extreme Sports Cars started building race cars powered by superbike engines back in 1996. They began using Suzuki engines and it looks like they have been fairly successful. Their latest creation, the SR8, goes a step farther. Instead of just dropping in a complete engine, they built a V8 by grafting two Hayabusa engines together. So far the figures are 372hp and the ability to rev to over 10,000rpm, which is not unusual in a motorcycle but quite a spin in a car. The SR8, depending on gearing can top 200mph. It seems we are seeing more of this kind of complex engineering lately and it may be the result of the wide availability of computer CAD/CAM software, enabling smaller shops to go places where only major firms used to go. The Motoczysz C1 comes to mind as another recent example of engine modifications by a small builder/designer. We may be seeing a lot more of this and I can’t wait. This kind of inventive talent has always existed but now there are more opportunities for it to be realized.
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

If anyone wants a beams I have one for sale (car not just engine)

she's having new suspension and small bits done before sale though (month maybe)

:wink:
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

EH? I thought you sold it ages ago???
:shock:
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

ive had nothing but dreamers unfortunately and people who want to knock off 500 quid for a rip in the door panel and $500 off for a windscreen :roll: :-s PRATS

so i'm putting on new suspension, the cracked screen is out ready for the new one and a new door panel has been purchased.

once the workshop are given the funds to work on it she'll be back up for sale again!!!
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

not seen you on the forums for ages last i heard the beams was off to south africa. im really surprised a motor like that hasnt been sold already although i got to say the second hand market is on its ass at the moment. i managed to scrape four grand together for a replacement to my rev1 and couldnt believe my luck when i got a rev5 with it. Best of luck to you though becky i hope it all goes well for ya :)
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

thanks honey, well truth be told ive had a bit of xxxx luck this year, living in a caravan (hence rarely got access to the internet) the ducati and car have got to go, moved out from my mums so now i can use the cash to buy a place instead of giving it to her.

Fallen out with familly over certain things that I wont bore you of etc etc.

So I will rebuild the ducati and sell that also.

I will return to MR2 ownership next year if I can though..but I need accomodation that doesn't resemble pikie activities pmsl :lol:

Lifes tough but i'll get there. (oh and the south african dude was another dreamer :roll: )
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

Bloody hell mate sorry to hear that like you say though you'll get there in the end, chin up :wink:
ducatichick

Post by ducatichick »

I'm still here thats the main thing-theres plenty more people that are worse off so i'm making the best of what I've got, I go up the workshop and look at the duke/MR2 when I can-they keep my chin up hun :mrgreen: \:D/

i know its just looking but the grin factor rules :twisted:

I cant really grumble-I have alot for a 20 year old, mind you i have workes my a$$ off :lol:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

This car turned up with us yesterday, en-route to magical "B" road in the sky:

...and look what's inside:

But for the dust, it's absolutely immaculate in the engine bay. If anybody with a revision 3 - 5 normally aspirated engine is interested in a transplant, we'd be interested in part exchanging your old engine for use in one of our race cars...

Best regards,

Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
magic_alex

Post by magic_alex »

OMFG i dont believe this lol!
#-o
How about a grand in cash and my rev5 engine with 81k on the clock and full service history?
\:D/

And seeing as its you Patrick i'll even throw in the christmas tree air freshner the previous owner left me... its new car scent if that helps sway your decision in any way! :mrgreen:

you're tempted arent you, i cant tell!
paul port

Post by paul port »

cantfindausername wrote:vat etc isn't applicable on used parts. :D

Used parts already in the EU?? (in which case VAT was paid by the original purchaser)

Does this still apply to IMPORTED parts from Outside the EU on which VAT has never been paid?

Paul
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Romanv wrote:
Even in fifth gear on the motorway, if I put my foot down half way, I'm doing 140kph before I know it, and it keeps pulling harder and harder, the faster I go. :)

When you do this, does the engine sound like a pi$$ed off bull growling behind your ear...? When I do there is a really deep growl, almost un 4-cylinder like, and then the thing shots off, its a nice feeling :D

Only real experience Ive had vs. other MR2 was against my friends mildly tweaked Rev1 tubby. On our private road, we both gunned it, I got away as he was building boost. He didnt catch up and start to slowly pull ahead till very illegal speeds, but was on a private road ofcourse remember.

Pity I am going to have sell her now............. Bu@@er......... :(
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Rogue wrote:This car turned up with us yesterday, en-route to magical "B" road in the sky:

...and look what's inside:

But for the dust, it's absolutely immaculate in the engine bay. If anybody with a revision 3 - 5 normally aspirated engine is interested in a transplant, we'd be interested in part exchanging your old engine for use in one of our race cars...

Best regards,

Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222

how many miles has it done? i might be interested, cos i have a rev 3 with 60k. but do u think it will hurt the value of my car if i do a transplant on a import 10 anniver edition car :-k
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

IIRC the late Supra Twin turbos came equiped with VVTI as well. Is it possible to turbo the BEAMS engine?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Odin_S wrote:how many miles has it done? i might be interested, cos i have a rev 3 with 60k. but do u think it will hurt the value of my car if i do a transplant on a import 10 anniver edition car :-k

107760kms, with a cambelt change at ~103,000kms. I would think an anniversary edition car with a BEAMS engine would be more desirable!

Best regards,

Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Antstarr wrote:IIRC the late Supra Twin turbos came equiped with VVTI as well. Is it possible to turbo the BEAMS engine?

Given enough money, anything's possible! We have discussed the possibility of fitting a turbo to this kind of engine in-house, and have some very interesting ideas. A small turbo with minimal lag - like the Power Enterprise kit for the mk3 - would add 50+ horse power and yet be on full boost by 2,000rpm. Would make for a very interesting drive!

Best regards,

Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
Romanv

Post by Romanv »

IMO a beams engine would make an excellent base for a turbo project.

However, IMO it's definitely a 'rebuild the engine' job.

11:1 compression + boost = no.
3sgte pistons + rods = yes.

I dont doubt that you *could* turbo an 11:1 compression beams engine, but I dont think it would be worth the trouble, for the amount of gains you will get.

The intake manifold will most likely blow a seal when given enough boost to make turbo charging it worth while. :D
Either reinforcing it, or using a 3sgte intake manifold would be the way to go. (I wonder if the gen 4 3sgte manifold is compatible?)

There are many other engines that use a form of VVT that are turbo charged, and IIRC they help spool the turbo slightly earlier. Late model SR20det's, RB26dett's, (IIRC) the late 4g63 engine, all use a similar system to VVTI.

You'd need a decent computer to run it all however, something along the lines of a MoTec. 8)

However it wont have any of the block cracking problems that the gen 2/3 blocks have, as it got the reinforcements that occured in 1997+ 8)

Then again, I suppose you may as well just start with a gen 4 3sgte from a Caldina anyway, and save yourself the trouble, and the $$$. (Although you'd probably want the gen 3 pistons for lower compression)

Return to “Modifications”