Whats the deal with golf TDI's???

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Greddy-Matt

Whats the deal with golf TDI's???

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Can someone please explain the mindset of golf TDI drivers? I seem to get hassle from these guys all the time! for example :

Was driving back from southampton the other day where the limit goes from 30 to 60mph, this guy in a black mk 4, at least 2 passengers was way to close (i couldnt see his lights under my spoiler!!), as we get to the 60 naturally i accelerate and opened a gep between us, which he promptly filled as fast as he could. there was a fair bit of traffic coming the other way intermitantly and he kept pulling half way across the centre line ang pulling back in as he couldn't overtake.

Then as he was oviously getting frustrated with me doing the speed limit he kept dropping back and speeding up leaving it to the last second before braking hard nearly rear ending me several times, if he'd been any closer he'd have needed a condom!

Eventually he overtook painfully slow in a gap that was way too small causing me and the car coming the opposite way to brake almost to a standstill to avoid what would have been a hell of a smash! the really annoying thing was that he had to brake like hell about a hundred yards down the road as the limit dropps back to thirty and the traffic was qued back up!

So he gained one car length when all said and done, what was the point?

Thing is ive had this sort of thing several times recently with guys in diesel golfs, why do they have to drive like complete muppets, and what are they trying to prove? I dont get it?

Rant over.
gaggia

Re: Whats the deal with golf TDI's???

Post by gaggia »

i get to drive one occasionally at work,when the sales guys let me.basically there all company vechicles thats why they get ragged around everywere.For a what they are they are surprisingly quick.Just the otherday i was wondering if it would beat my n/a.Im still unsure although it would be tight as they pull very well from low in the revs.Would be an interesting race.The guys at work are always saying it will do me,to which i remind them its 14 years old!Still i know which id rather be driving.Sales guys huh....
revturbo

Post by revturbo »

i know its giving him an ego boost but you should have let him past, but then again if it was me i wouldn't be driving at the speed limit O:) and i would've been overtaking him!

richard
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

CADAVER wrote:Can someone please explain the mindset of golf TDI drivers?

When I was looking for my last daily driver I had a look at a couple of diesels. The best was an Avensis. It felt quite impressive, could maybe have lived with the turbo lag, until I tried to rag it. At that point I realised that I had been driving it at damn near the power peak, not the torque peak as is my habit, and there was nothing left when I revved it up. Could be these guys are making the same mistake - torque isn't power, but it makes you think you have power.

Andy

<puts tin helmet on...>
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

lol funnily enough I drove past a Golf driver on the M1 who has Golf Turbo badges. Underneath the GTI badge was a stuck on 20V badge...pathetic...
I showed him what a real turbo was :P
Maybe people get intimidated by the MR2's sporty look and try to gain a boasting factor by saying...look i passed an MR2. Pointless TBH
scottietse

Post by scottietse »

white van mans weekend car.....

they try it all the time.....
heathy

Post by heathy »

I drive a 1.9tdi and have to say it would easily keep up with my n/a to 60 but the top end is nowhere near as fast, it is a diesel though :D

I really want a tubby 2 though, love the kick from the turbo in the golf :P
craig

Post by craig »

I've driven a number of Golf TDi's

MK4 + MK5, they are pretty quick for a diesel!

if that had of been me, I would have just let him past job done.

Still no excuse for his driving though.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

It wasn't like i was trying to make it difficult for him to overtake, and i couldnt let him past, if id have braked at all i'd have ended up with a golf shaped spoiler! Always seems to be Golf and Audi drivers, but at least the audis over take quickly.
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

i drive a golf 1.9tdi everyday and I would be very very surprised if it would keep up with an MA mr2. Its 0-60 is about 10-11 seconds.

It does have an abundance of torque for about 1.5 seconds in the middle of the rev range. For another comparison its exactly the same at accelerating as an astra 1.6 (tested frequently!!) with the astra maybe having the edge!

So if you think it would keep up with ANY MR2 then your mr2 is probably broken.
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

Antstarr wrote:lol funnily enough I drove past a Golf driver on the M1 who has Golf Turbo badges. Underneath the GTI badge was a stuck on 20V badge...pathetic...
I showed him what a real turbo was :P
Maybe people get intimidated by the MR2's sporty look and try to gain a boasting factor by saying...look i passed an MR2. Pointless TBH

was it a "Golf Driver" or a person driving a golf?

The later turbo golfs do have 20 valve 4-cylinder turbo engines....
gaggia

Post by gaggia »

that torquay feeling does give the impression of power but its all really a cunning visade
pistol supercharged pete

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

paulmann wrote:i drive a golf 1.9tdi everyday and I would be very very surprised if it would keep up with an MA mr2. Its 0-60 is about 10-11 seconds.

It does have an abundance of torque for about 1.5 seconds in the middle of the rev range. For another comparison its exactly the same at accelerating as an astra 1.6 (tested frequently!!) with the astra maybe having the edge!

So if you think it would keep up with ANY MR2 then your mr2 is probably broken.

it epends which one you have i have the 150 brake (an 0-60 on one is officiallt 8.5) one for every day and soon chipping it to 198
and it is not slow and its oes overtake quickly - not a touch on the sc obviously but for what it is it is a gopod car

do not tranish all golf rives some just want the economy cos our mr2's take too much fuel like me
does not excuse the bloke riveing he was obviously a pratt
an saying it accelerates the same as a astra is 1.6 is rubbish sorry it just is if you have the pooy 90 hp one hten prob but do not forget about the higher end models
just my 2ps worth for having a golf but the guy still drives like a pratt but not all are the same and he prob had the poo model to overtake from 60 slowly, well its not slow for a euro everyday box to run around in but never a touch on my SC

all silver TDI = 90hp
red I on TDI = 110hp
Red DI on TDI = 130hp
all red letters = 150hp
jont

Post by jont »

paulmann wrote:i drive a golf 1.9tdi everyday and I would be very very surprised if it would keep up with an MA mr2. Its 0-60 is about 10-11 seconds.

I went out with someone last weekend in a Golf TDI. It had been chipped to 175bhp, with 300lb/ft @2000rpm. Not as quick as my tubby, but it would still shift along very well. From 30-60 I can see it keeping up with an N/A. It would only really lose out from a 0-xx dash through the initial lag.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Doesn't matter what your 0-60 is if you are already moving.
What gear you are in can make an enormous difference.
Just look at some of the figures for the bigger cars with crap 0-60s.
When they are up and rolling they are a lot quicker.
If he has pulled out at 60 mph in 5th gear to overtake then may not have the grunt at this range to overtake quickly.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
pistol supercharged pete

yeah on the mk4 0-20 is poo on the mk5 it is better got rid of the lag
but like you say after the lag has it is quite good
pistol supercharged pete

thats the thing i cannot understand 60 upwards in mine in 5th is brill because of the tourque but being the 150 it has 6 gears which makes a lot of differenmce if he had a much slower 110 or 90 one then yeah i can say it would struggle but does not mean thay are all that slow

6th can be slow for pulling 5th is best from 70 up really
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Just bought one myself to replace the my Audi A6 TDI. A GT TDI, 130bhp with 6 gears. 0-60 is supposed to be 9.3, but 0-10 is the killer due to the lag, not a great car for quick getaways at T junctions, but for sheer lazy overtaking they're great. I'm a complete convert to turbo diesels for daily use. Really lazy cars to drive, just plant your foot and let the torque do the rest. This is my 3rd MkIV Golf and they're a good car. Not an MR2 and nowhere near as good round the bends, but no slouch and you can get a whole lot more in the back. 50mpg too, not to be sneezed at.

Not all Golf TDI drivers are muppets.

Karl
Red ones go faster......
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

No - maybe saying they're all muppets is a bit harsh, just had a few instances recently of muppetish behaviour, I didnt have any trouble pulling away from him from 30-60 in 3rd gear but then he had passenger and i didnt...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

rolling im sure the proper, or even most of the tdis would keep with a turbo up until 3-4k rpm....similar torque and weight......

rolling against an na, im sure it would gain a shed load up until then, then the na would pull it back high in the revs.

Return to “Driving Experiences”