handbreak problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dan1

handbreak problem

Post by dan1 »

as posted previously my 2 failed the mot on the hand break and i can not get it working properly.It is not working at all on the near side but other side works just fine?.Also the caliper on the near side is a new caliper?,which i replaced and the handbreak has not worked right since.I have tried the 180deg trick which people mention with the piston but i just cant seem to sort it? any ideas.
Big G

Re: handbreak problem

Post by Big G »

Have you had the brake apart to see if the assembly is moving at all??
Stretchermunkey

Handbreak

Post by Stretchermunkey »

hi mate, had this problem a month back, when you wind the pistons back into the caliper, you have to wind the caliper back first the forward by 180 degrees. I'm not mechanical and got peter at S-bits to sort it for me. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post soon and explain properly, But I'm fairly sure it is something that can be sorted very easily.
I failed the mot on exactly the same thing. Hope you get it sorted.
Steve
dan1

Re: handbreak problem

Post by dan1 »

cheers for the reply, i have tried winding the piston all the way back in then out 180 several times now and it just does not seem to work. everything seems ok the mecanism seems free as i can move it by hand slightly. on looking at the cables though the nearsied cable is way slacker than the other side is there anyway to take up the slack each side seperately as i dont want to tighten the centre adjuster as the one side is tight and working ok.
could the cable of stretched! seems odd though for one side to stretch badly and not the other? the caliper did seaze on this side before i replaced it? could this have done it?

Return to “Mechanical”