On going idle problem + been to 3 garages now!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

**toyota-mr2**

On going idle problem + been to 3 garages now!!

Post by **toyota-mr2** »

Hi

I am starting to get right pi$$ed off with my mr2 idle.

When the car is started in the morning I need to put my foot on the throttle and sometimes pump it when turning the key to get it started. If I dont the car will just turn over and not start. After the car has started you have to keep the revs up or it will die. When the car gets hot the idle sorts itself out unless you have to stop quickly or you turn it off and restart the car. When restarted from hot it will only mess up now and again + idle sorts itself out v quickly.

It has been to wallace performance, another garage and today it went to toyota. Toyota adjusted the timing which done fook all infact they made it worse so I had to take it back. The car sounded like a subaru and was so under powered. He then put the timing back to what it was and said to me it will be over fueling now.

Anyway someone please shed some light as to what it could be as its doing my boobs in.

Oh and I have changed the spark plugs, dist cap, rotor arm, coolant temp sensor.

Thanks
Big G

Re: On going idle problem + been to 3 garages now!!

Post by Big G »

Idle speed control valve would be a place to look to be honest

Or if you have it the egr system

If it doesn't start when cold but does when hot its naff all to do with the timing, its simply a feuling problem
**toyota-mr2**

Post by **toyota-mr2** »

I have got it booked into another garage on thurs but I need to give them as much info as possible as they have limited sources.

Where is the iscv? anyone got a pic? also where is the other thing you mentioned?

I also forgot to say its a rev 3 1995 non turbo uk car.
jonno

Post by jonno »

have you actually tried adjusting the idle screw under the throttle body? Its a 2.5mm grub screw with a 6mm nut locking it in place - I have seen quite a few that are loose, so it could easily have moved.

Worth 15 minutes to avoid another trip to a garage!?

Its just underneath the throttle cable pulley, stand on the drivers side of the engine bay, look at where the Intercooler pipework finishes and the throttle cable is the bit that runs along side it - underneath the throttle cable pulley that attaches to the throttle body is the grub screw.

HTH,

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
**toyota-mr2**

Post by **toyota-mr2** »

All fixed!

The car spent 2 days in taylors auto electricians getting fixed. I have to say its the best garage I have been to in a long time and if anyone in Aberdeen needs that sort of problem fixed go there.

They spent a while checking out all my sensors and found that my throttle position sensor was only half working, garage b4 fitted it but didnt set it up properly so it never went onto idle stage! = heaps of fuel.

The main issue was that my iscv had heaps and heaps and heaps of carbon deposits which was causing the bad idle/cutting out. They cleaned it and then put it back together + then cleared the ecu.

Now its runs smooth as a nut.

1500 rpm when cold and then just below 1000 when warm.

Return to “Mechanical”