are boost controllers redundant after mapping?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

are boost controllers redundant after mapping?

Post by jimGTS »

i mean, once your boost is setup, and your mapped, i asume you should never touch the ebc again as thatll mess with the map?
this correct......

what if i wanted to run low boost for like winter, how would the car run, like crap?
and if i started messing with the hi boost setting, could that screw the map up, or the something?

or is it a case of, if im mapped for 1.2bar, i should only ever run this or less?

i dont mean the map will change, i mean by changing the boost on the controller, could it effect certain components of the car in a bad way?
Last edited by jimGTS on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt_mr2t

Re: are boost controllers redundant after mapping?

Post by matt_mr2t »

My mate had a Cossie with a plug in chip set for 12psi. He turned it up at Santa Pod and got a slower time!

TBH though all the mapping does is add and take away fuel, if there's an abundance at the top end then upping it should be fine, dropping it would mean you'd possibly run a little rich as there's less air for the fuel thats being added.
SB

Post by SB »

Lowering the boost should have no adverse effect I'd have thought, after all the map will cover from vacuum to full boost - running lower boost than it is mapped for will simply mean that not all of the fuelling and ignition tables are used. If it's mapped for say 1.5bar and you run 1bar, then the map still includes the fuelling and advance for 1bar because you pass 1bar on the way to 1.5bar.

Raising the boost above what it is mapped for is obviously a no-no :lol:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

what about boost gain and all that jazz, the way the boost comes on, could that be effected...
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

jimGTS wrote:what about boost gain and all that jazz, the way the boost comes on, could that be effected...

what are you on about Jim #-o

SB has put it in a nutshell for you :wink:
Lowering the boost should have no adverse effect I'd have thought, after all the map will cover from vacuum to full boost - running lower boost than it is mapped for will simply mean that not all of the fuelling and ignition tables are used. If it's mapped for say 1.5bar and you run 1bar, then the map still includes the fuelling and advance for 1bar because you pass 1bar on the way to 1.5bar.

Raising the boost above what it is mapped for is obviously a no-no

FYI - i had mine mapped upto 1.3bar Jim

obvioulsy at this time of year I'm running no more than 1.1 just to be safer O:)

will be same setup as you (apart from teh injectors - cheapskate :mrgreen: ) ct20b, rev3+(when you do your conversion), PFC ECU
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

cheapskate, lol, you seen how much ive spent in the last few weeks, lol.....

i just thought that the boost gain comes into effect as well, as you can setup ebcs to bring on boost in different ways...guess not.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

jimGTS wrote:cheapskate, lol, you seen how much ive spent in the last few weeks, lol.....

so what's another £200 8-[ :eye: - man of your wealth.. you seem to be flush these days !
SB

Post by SB »

It won't matter to the ECU though, because the ECU decides how much fuel to chuck in based upon various parameters, one of which is manifold air pressure. So no matter how your boost controller solenoid controls the boost, as long as it falls within the values your ECU is mapped for, it knows how much fuel to chuck in to keep the AFR correct :)

Obviously the accuracy of the map at various boost pressures depends on where the load sites are, but most ECUs do interploration so it's not so much of an issue IMHO...
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

£200 for 800cc injectors - you sure?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

matt_mr2t wrote:£200 for 800cc injectors - you sure?

thats what i thought....

someone tried to sell me 540s for £150, thought that was a bit steap.....

maybe getting a ats bored out rail and ats fpr reg instead, so injectors will be 600+ anyway :-)
SB

Post by SB »

I think I got lucky, I've just managed to pick up a set of brand new SARD 800cc's for £200 :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

oh dear, i realised what i just said....

surely £200 800s is prob about the same amount used 540s and ats combo would cost :oops: ](*,) and thats only 600cc.....or so....

](*,) ](*,)
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

yes.. I however paid over £300 :lol:

but it's suprising what you find after you've already bought them #-o
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:man of your wealth.. you seem to be flush these days !

ive come to the conclusion, f*ck it, im just gona go the whole hog...."hopefully" thatll be me done power wise, and really, body done, just about....interior changed and custom bits thrown in...wheels, exhaust.....done.
guess just suspension bits......need to recover first.
jonno

Post by jonno »

For £200 cash you can have my Blitz 850cc injectors and rev3 fuel rail - I was going to get them cleaned and balanced and re-use them, but I picked up a branch new wolfkatz rail instead so my Blitz ones are going begging :)

Neil.

PM me if anyone is interested.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “Modifications”