Big power MK1

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazylegs

Re: Big power MK1

Post by crazylegs »

like it pete. go for it. but remember it may put out loads of power but you could be looking at about 20k mls max before it wears itself out. i take it you are going to bore and stroke it and lighten everything in sight. how big are you going with the valves?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

i don;t want a turbo
if i did i owuld have got a mk2

there is no comparison between a mk2 and a mk1 turbo either in 3s or 4a-g"t"e form......as i said fantastic project but totally misguided,i cant understand going all out on an engine but then seriously restricting it with the very thing thats going to give you all your power.....like hitching a trailer up to a F1 car.

I love what you are doing though,should be the quickest SC in the land,but my point is theres 4 other guys on this board who are currently spending 1/4 of the money and their cars will devastate any sc.....sorry if my point of view is too honest for you pete,a spades a spade for me.

Good luck with the project and cant wait to see the results.
pistol supercharged pete

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

hi paul
have chatted ti the guy yesterday about what your saying
and all has been taken into consideration adn we are still going the same way but trying a slightly different approach but we want to keep it quite untill we have sucseeded in what we are trying for
it iwll give the car the extra poke you are talking about

pete
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

nice one pete,ever thought about following in miss gladdings footsteps with a scary TC? now that really is the way forward!
pistol supercharged pete

hi paul
i don't mind getting beaten by a mk1.5 anyways as theya re a amazing machines really respect to them and i so nearly bought yours as you know but my love for having a sc won unfortunatly i should habve bought yours i heinsight but hey never mind
anyways like you say i kust wanna have the quickest sc in the land as you put it but i will get a turbo mk1 at some point just wanna try something that has not been done

pete

as when you first started yours many people slated you and many did not its all about doing something thats not been dopne before and something thats just that little bit special
anyways there are no mk1.5 for iles and miles around me there was one being done at ashford but never got finished
i just have no idea what the car wil be like bit scary as well must admit but time will tell
cheers for the info
pete
see ya at jae
pistol supercharged pete

hi paul thought of going toni's way but gonna go me own sweet way that will be one mad machine thought! cannot wait to see it
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Pete, really impressed with your enthusaism!
I also have a SC and also refuse to go the turbo route. Love the power delivery of the SC engine, even if it means it runs out of steam at the top end. My car is fairly standard but I would like some more power. However I refuse to make any external modifications and will not fit any scoops or other external modifications. I intend to fit a larger crankshaft pulley to increase the rotational speed of the SC. I understand I need to increase the performance of the intercooler. Please tell me what modifications you have planned for this?
pistol supercharged pete

hi matey howz ya doing
glad to hear someone else thinking my wave length
as for the intercooling side of things errm well we are not 100% sure yet we may go for a celica gt4 chargecooler but i think what is most likely to happen is the builder will make a custom job of intercooling it not sure how yet
lauren will give you more of i dea how you want ot improve the intercooling when just doing the big crank pulley but as i am going much much more power the intercooling system needs to be changed it will be on here when we decide what route we are taking and pics of course
i know that lauren did make up some piping that went from the sidevent to the intercooler to provide it with more air another i have seen in fans on the underneath of the intercooler
lie i say lauren is best to give advice on that

cheers
hope that helps
pete
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Pete,

Have already made some preliminary modifications to improve the performance of my existing intercooler, in advance of fittting a larger crankshaft pulley. I am thinking of fitting an intercooler spray system and possibly a chargecooler. Have fitted thermouples to outlet of supercharger outlet and outlet from intercooler and am currrently taking some base figures.

Having seen this:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177 ... ngine.html
240bhp from a normally aspirated 1600cc engine, I am absolutely sure your power figures are attainable.

Best of luck,

Tom
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Icsunonove wrote:Pete,

Have already made some preliminary modifications to improve the performance of my existing intercooler, in advance of fittting a larger crankshaft pulley. I am thinking of fitting an intercooler spray system and possibly a chargecooler. Have fitted thermouples to outlet of supercharger outlet and outlet from intercooler and am currrently taking some base figures.

Having seen this:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177 ... ngine.html
240bhp from a normally aspirated 1600cc engine, I am absolutely sure your power figures are attainable.

Best of luck,

Tom

hmm don't want to put a damper on things but how reliable will a 1.6 litre engine out putting 240bhp be? i mean the 2 litre turbo's were designed for that kinda power and can take more easily but surely a 4AGZE won't cope with that sort of pressure for long?

are you going to be using it as your everyday car pete? as it will seem a little silly to me if you were.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chris,

With steel internals it will cope with that and more all day long easily.

Stock GZE can cope with 240bhp, its pretty well overengineered as standard. Particularly so the later engines.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hi Pete, and :D

Have to tell you I have the full HKS stroker kit, (crank, pistons, HG, camshafts etc.), TRD OS Valves etc. and you'll need more than £5K on parts alone....!! I've spent more than that and I bought some of them 'new second hand', i.e. not off a dealer but a bloke who bought them but didn't use them.

Just as well you didn't go TC, LOL - it's been v. difficult for me and I've got the full kit remember...

Good luck on your project though!! Look forward to hearing about it.

T
pistol supercharged pete

cheers toni

well i have to admit the head gasket and head work is being done under warranty and trying to get as much as we can out of the
and fingers crossed we are getting the stroker kit the same way you have
the builder knows someone in germany with one on shelf not been used
fingers crossed
all good fun will keep updated will have more info on specs this week as all the companies come back to us

as its a big project the builder has managed to get discounts from companies he uses as he is putting the build on his website so they get advertised etc etc

have fun
pete

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”