[Mk2 Generic] Help-Growling noice and loses power once warm

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2 Generic] Help-Growling noice and loses power once warm

Post by dellams »

Hi ya guys,

I was hoping someone could help me on here? My standard Mark2 starts making a kind of growling noise when it reaches around the 3k rev mark. It also loses power once the car has warmed up (after about five mins and the temp gauge goes to half way and then stays there).

The exhaust is blowing between the manifold and downpipe join so I am going to get this fixed so maybe this may be why I am losing power since it cannot get rid of the hot gases so the engine bay is too warm? It also means the pressure is wrong for the engine too?

I am not sure about the noise though, I have been doing this evening car course and the two mechanics there say it could be the crank shaft and the big ends on their way out!!! :( They said it wasn't too bad yet since you can barely hear it outside but when you’re driving with the engine right behind your head it is a lot louder!

I am not sure if this noise is normal for an MR2 since this is my first one and have only owned it for about 3 months now. If it was the big ends going how long would they last? Since some other guys had a quick look the other day and they reckon there was nothing wrong with it (apart from the exhaust of course). Once it has warmed up it does not make the noise when in neutral, only when in gear so I thought it might be the gearbox? But then when it is cold it does make the noise in neutral too.

They said that's what's it’s supposed to sound like and is just the camshaft spinning up to speed? They said if it was the big ends they would have gone after about 10 miles and I have done a lot more than that since buying it.

Not sure who to believe now! So I wanted to check to see if you guys had any ideas before I took it to a garage next week?

Cheers guys.

Return to “Mechanical”