clutch

Post by skut_monkey »

had the car 3 weeks, now the clutch is slipping like a xxxxxx

how easy are they to change???

any input apreciated #-o
Ian Geary

Re: clutch

Post by Ian Geary »

It's quite an involved job. There's been a lot of posts on whether or not this is an engine out job.

But my advice is to get it done ASAP - it's much easier to change before it burns out and you're left with zero drive.

I found this out the hard way, which caused the added hassle of having to be towed home.

hth

Ian
Pug_crew

MK1 Clutch

Post by Pug_crew »

Have the same problem with my MK1. Anyone got any experience of changing the clutch themselves? It looks a challenge but I am thinking of having a go.
spindle

Post by spindle »

I did mine myself-first clutch i'd ever done. Wasn't any major problems, just a fair bit involved. I didn't remove the engine.
I booked a couple of days off work and took my time. Saved myself around £300 so i was well happy.
skut_monkey

Post by skut_monkey »

thanks for the replies

is it worthwhhle getting a standard 1 to put back in, or upgrade to a performance clutch

its totally stock at the mo so would it realy be worth it?
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

If you want an uprated one then I have one for sale - I'm not 100% sure what it is (not stock) but it was fitted to my car 4000 miles ago, when the engine was rebuilt, which was designed to put out around 300bhp (never did though because of fuelling issues - it actually ran 260 bhp at the hubs). Not a lot of wear on it, I can get some pics next week if you're interested - I'm sure someone on here can tell us what it is then.

Cheers,
Nick
Retribution

Post by Retribution »

You may want to change your flywheel at the same time or at least check it out b4 installing the clutch otherwise you will pay twice if your flywheel is damaged as some companys dont even check and warn you.

Original clutch is fine if you not modding your car or at least not heavily modded, but if you are power hungry like a lot on here then upgrade it to a preformance clutch theres a few people on here in affils section who sell em cheaper delivered than buying in shops.
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

Pics - still not sure what it is but has "ASCO" written on the housing and "T-NKK" stamped on the plate. My belief is that both of these companies also make the OE clutch...

skut_monkey

Post by skut_monkey »

thanks for the replies, got 1 sorted, being fitted wednesday

thanks for the replies

Return to “Mechanical”