Help! What's wrong!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gileon

Help! What's wrong!

Post by gileon »

Hi All.
My Rev 3 has started missing a little when cold - I've done all the usual checks and everything seems ok.
HOWEVER!
Last night after a spirited 30 mile drive I went round a roundabout and accelerated hard out of it up the dual carriageway and the car just died for a second and slowed then picked back up.
For approximately 10 mins afterwards I could just about hear what appeared to be a high pitch whirring noise that changed pitch with engine revs.
Needless to say after 18 months of faultless ownership I'm a little twitchy that this could be a problem in the making.

Anyone got any ideas?

Regards
Ian
gileon

Re: Help! What's wrong!

Post by gileon »

Forgot to say it is a Rev 3 Turbo and I thought it may be a problem with the Turbo but as I've never had one go on me I'm not sure what to be looking for.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Hi Ian,

Had a similar problem. Changed sparks and (touch wood) cars been running fine since. Mine is a non turbo so cant help with the noise your getting. Good luck! :)
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

It could be the turbo giving up the ghost 'The whine of death'.

Take the intake off and have a look at the compressor blades. See if there is any damage or little flecs of metal in the oil. If there is oil, make sure it's not excessive.

Thats a place to start anyhow :)

Paul.
D J Beavan

Post by D J Beavan »

Sorry to say mate this sounds just like what happened to my Rev 3 tubby. Comming home from work one day giving a bit of welly then suddenly drop in power and a terrible whiring noise. Turned out to be the turbo had disintergrated. :(

Return to “Mechanical”