MKI Specs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

System-G

MKI Specs

Post by System-G »

Now I know my MKII's relatively well (i.e revisions/specs etc...)

I was wondering if there is information (online or other) on "revisions" or specs on the MKI's somewhere?
I have found info on U.S based MKI's but nothing on UK/Europe supplied that I can understand... :roll:

I'd like to try and get to know the MKI as well as I know the MKII 8)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: MKI Specs

Post by Lauren »

Plenty of info on MR2Mk1club dot com. which you really ought to join!

Anything specific you want to know?
System-G

Post by System-G »

Thanks Lauren :)

I had browsed through the site before posting here when trying to find general info on the MKI, but nothing seemed exactly what I was looking for. They have specs of MKI's in Australia, U.S and Japan. How do these variations compare with the UK models?

I was just after info that lists out features, engine spec, chassis upgrade/tuning and styling etc... over the years the MKI existed (how it eveloved from the early to late spec). Something similar to lists that show the improvements/changes to the MKII through it's various Revisions

And obviously more information on my my car (same as yours, Lauren) with regards to features, engine output, styling etc...

(note to self: Don't be so lazy and do more googling before posting :P )

Cheers 8)
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

System-G wrote:Thanks Lauren :)

I had browsed through the site before posting here when trying to find general info on the MKI, but nothing seemed exactly what I was looking for. They have specs of MKI's in Australia, U.S and Japan. How do these variations compare with the UK models?

I was just after info that lists out features, engine spec, chassis upgrade/tuning and styling etc... over the years the MKI existed (how it eveloved from the early to late spec). Something similar to lists that show the improvements/changes to the MKII through it's various Revisions

And obviously more information on my my car (same as yours, Lauren) with regards to features, engine output, styling etc...

(note to self: Don't be so lazy and do more googling before posting :P )

Cheers 8)

Thats right! there is massive amounts of info on mk1's on googly but as Lauren said ,if you search on the mk1 site it does give you loads of info.

The mk1 wasn't in production as long as the mk2,obviously! even though it should have been :lol: so might not be as much info as the mk2's
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

what do you need to know? id say between 3 or 4 people on here we know all there is to know about a mk1....sad i know but id be surprised if there wasnt something we didnt know about a mk1 between us.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ok, well ask away with specifics. Like Paul said between a few of us i'd be surprised if one of us didn't know!

Engine power was 121bhp on the MK1a and 122bhp on the MK1b due to different induction routing.

There are differences between the early engine and the later one.

Ask a specific question and i'm sure we'll have an answer, its just its a bit of an essay to go through everything.. ;)

there is a wealth of info on:

http://www.club4ag.com

its a site mainly for the '86 but there is a wealth of info tech specs etc on the 4AG and some handling stuff on the MK1.

HTH
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

How much does your average MK1 weigh?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

L0rdMike wrote:How much does your average MK1 weigh?

MK1b t-bar was 1050kgs IIRC
SC = 1185 (SE 1160)

MK1a= ??? (i was actually going to go and weigh my MK1a this afternoon but realised it was too late!). I'll get it weighed Monday.

What Mk1 do you have? Think there is some real differences between the various models.
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Lauren wrote:

You mean my MR2 weighs more than my MK4 Fiesta. :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

L0rdMike wrote:
Lauren wrote:

You mean my MR2 weighs more than my MK4 Fiesta. :shock:

Yep. Thats the price of having 5 bulkheads as opposed to your festa's 3.
michael

Post by michael »

Paul Woods wrote:what do you need to know? id say between 3 or 4 people on here we know all there is to know about a mk1....sad i know but id be surprised if there wasnt something we didnt know about a mk1 between us.

Agreed, better to offer the information on here and increase the MK1 content for the future than to instantly push people away to other clubs.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

mk1a weighs 948kgs....but this info differs on a few sites and press releases....its all a bit vague but the mk1a is certainly the lightest of the lot.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yep mk1a is lighter and therefore faster in acceleration( a tad) but overall top speed the same.different mapping on the ecu in early cars and lighter engine internals makes it rev a bit more freely. as with the others tell me what you need to know.i have loads of anorak info .
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:mk1a weighs 948kgs....but this info differs on a few sites and press releases....its all a bit vague but the mk1a is certainly the lightest of the lot.

I really hope mine weights 948kgs! I'll get it weighed next week and report back!
System-G

Post by System-G »

Thanks for the info to date.

Will continue searching... Don't have too much time at the moment, but it will be a long term project.

I take it my car is a MKIa being an 85 model? Was there ever a sales brochure available that listed all the features of the car?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yep mk1a,best one of the lot IMO.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Woods wrote:yep mk1a,best one of the lot IMO.

Going to have to agree there (i know Paul, shock, horror!) but I think Mark summed it up yesterday when i let him have a go of my new Mk1a.

Mark's first car was a red Mk1a exactly the same as mine, so it brought back memories for him as he punted it sideways down the Cat & Fiddle! He was saying that there is something about the Mk1a's they just have a different feel to the later cars, kind of more go-kart like he said.

After spending all day fitting a proper toyota aerial (don't ask!) i will go and weigh my car tomorrow! I agree with Mark though it does feel lighter, but we'll wait and see what the scales say.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Going to have to agree there (i know Paul, shock, horror!)

Only if you absolutely must! :lol:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yep yours is a mk1a.this is not an official designation just one thats been adopted of late. there are a few brocures/manuals about from that period,keep your eye on ebay they are gen quite cheap.i have a few as mines an 85 as well.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”