Scored bores

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2mick

Scored bores

Post by mr2mick »

I removed the head and found the waterways through the head gasket quite blocked also the bores are scored mainly the boot side of the engine, also the pistons are pitted as is the area around the valves on the head, would this be caused by overheating as the pistons look like the've started to melt,
THE DUKE

Re: Scored bores

Post by THE DUKE »

Pitted.. sounds like det. How much boost were you running.. Scoring of the bores isnt the end of the world as long as they are only light scores. You could always hone, bore or sleeve the pots. Post some pics up ;)
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

I was running 1bar boost for about 3 months but not caning it all the time, it seemed to be running ok but then turbo shattered while spooling up,
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

oh, different kettle of fish then.. you could be looking at a lot of work.. why not try and get it to one of our local garages.. im sure someone will pop up in a sec :)
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Well from what i can see im gussing your going to need the following

Turbo
Intercooler (possible if metal inside)
Head
Head Gasket
Pistons
Block

I dont think you can save your block, it looks pretty bad. Your head im guessing will be shot too, pitted valves and ports? The pistons ahve 100% died a terrible death.

I'd say just get a rev 3 lump and do the conversion now.. it'll be cheaper in the long run.. and you'll end up with more power
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

The transplant bundle is an option but could do with advise on recommended places to buy prices etc
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

I think rouge do conversions to rev 3.
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Rogue and 3s are the best places to start. Not going to be cheap, the drive in drive out is around £4k
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

You mean push in drive out.....

Where in the east mids are you?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

We have a revision3 bundle currently available - contact me if you would like some more information! Depending on the damage to your existing engine though we may have some interesting rebuild options...

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

skinthespin wrote:You mean push in drive out.....

Where in the east mids are you?

Loughborough Leics
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Told you someone would be about soon enough. Patrick you think you could save the engine, even after a compressor wheel has been through it.. Your brave! :)

Not that i doubt you could pull a rabbit out of a hat but i would have thought its past it???
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

Rogue wrote:We have a revision3 bundle currently available - contact me if you would like some more information! Depending on the damage to your existing engine though we may have some interesting rebuild options...

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222

Ok thanks i will ring you tomorrow, Cheers Mick
aaronjb

Post by aaronjb »

THE DUKE wrote:Told you someone would be about soon enough. Patrick you think you could save the engine, even after a compressor wheel has been through it.. Your brave! :)

I see a sheared off exhaust wheel, but not a compressor wheel... (or did I misread a post? probably!)

The head looks a bit beat, but not too bad..

Pistons look in a state, but a lot of that could be fouling.. scoring is hard to tell without seeing the block, of course..

But I've seen worse (VG30DETT pistons welded to a block.. :lol: )
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Ive seen worse, my oil pump going at 120 on the track.. welded the piston good and proper... oops
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

THE DUKE wrote:Told you someone would be about soon enough. Patrick you think you could save the engine, even after a compressor wheel has been through it.. Your brave! :)

Not that i doubt you could pull a rabbit out of a hat but i would have thought its past it???

It was the exhaust side of the turbo that shattered and knocked the end of the sensor off, i dont think anything went through the inlet side as that spool is still in one piece
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

How'd the bores get so beat up then... something has to have been floating around the engine
mr2mick

Post by mr2mick »

THE DUKE wrote:How'd the bores get so beat up then... something has to have been floating around the engine

There are lots of scores in in all the pots mainly on the rear of the block (boot side) i think they are old scars as when the turbo went the car stopped an never fired up again
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

scored like that would kill everything tho.. also burn a lot of oil

Return to “Mechanical”