Leaky T-Bar

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kezza_2Turbo

Leaky T-Bar

Post by Kezza_2Turbo »

Hi all,

My T-Bar is leaking!!!

How do I fix this, its leaking at the two join points above the window where the rubber is angled.

P.S no jokes about getting a tin top!!!! I know what you lot are like!
prezjamin

Re: Leaky T-Bar

Post by prezjamin »

Yes i have the same problem, drips on my arm all the way to work :evil:
pete h

Post by pete h »

i have the same problem on the passenger side...
prezjamin

Post by prezjamin »

This may help, just found it on mr2oc.co.uk

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/modules.php?name ... how&kid=21
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Since not all of us are registered over there...

My advice is to go to Halfords and get some silicone rejuvenator (in a yellow can). Clean up all round the rubber seals, spray with rejuvenator and leave the t-tops off for as long as possible (garage or dry weather needed!)

Sorted out my leaks 100%.
T
TUR80

Post by TUR80 »

I had an even greater problem when I had a UK N/A REV4 T-bar. The light console in between the two sun visors use to pour water straight onto the centre console making the leather gaiter soaking! Had a nice quote from Toyota of £550!!! to fix the problem by fitting new front seals to the T-bar but that would still not cure the common leaking on the shoulder just the centre leak. :x

I said that this is a huge amount for having new rubbers fitted so they came up with an idea of stripping it down and using sealant in the areas which looked dodgy. £120 later it did stop and I never had the same problem after that. :D

But then I sold if 4 months after that to take delivery of my new Turbo 'Tintop' from Japan. If I was honest I don't think I used the T-bar much even in the summer months but I can understand why some prefer the T-bar as the MR2 looks better when its removed and its a bit different to a standard convertible. Hope you can sort the leaking problem. :)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

or alternatively
follow me
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

You have a few choices here... 1. eccentric rod guides: i think these tighten up the seal when u pull the lever.2. Silicone lubricant: rejuvenates the rubber.3. Silicon sealant and clingfilm(how to on someone elses post). 4. some cable inserted inside the rubber to make it 'stand out' more or...............get a tinny!!! :lol:
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

allan welsh wrote:or alternatively
follow me

Fancy coming over and fixing mine forme allan ? LOL

R.
craig

Post by craig »

hmmm, going off changing mine for a T-bar.... :roll:
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

RedMR² wrote:hmmm, going off changing mine for a T-bar.... :roll:

Just wait till the sun is out...driving with the t's out is just a great feeling.

When I took the car to france I had them out for two weeks and had some of the best driving times of my life....something about having them out just feels 'right'. The sound of the engine deepens and you just feel great....

I love my T tops....
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

robbie_742003 wrote:You have a few choices here... 1. eccentric rod guides: i think these tighten up the seal when u pull the lever.2. Silicone lubricant: rejuvenates the rubber.3. Silicon sealant and clingfilm(how to on someone elses post). 4. some cable inserted inside the rubber to make it 'stand out' more or...............get a tinny!!! :lol:

How about 5 which is using window draught excluder,clean all the rubbers and stick the excluder right under the rubber!
the excluder is self sticky and as long as the rubbers are cleaned well enough will stick very well,you can get it in black to will hardly be noticeable!

I must admit i haven't tried it but have been assured by fellow mk1 owners it will solve the problem.

So no reason why it wouldn't work on a mk2!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

too late :evil: Im bringing the angle grinder on saturday

U will have a T-Bar :twisted:
craig

Post by craig »

poyntesm wrote:

Just wait till the sun is out...driving with the t's out is just a great feeling.

When I took the car to france I had them out for two weeks and had some of the best driving times of my life....something about having them out just feels 'right'. The sound of the engine deepens and you just feel great....

I love my T tops....

I like the sound of that!! :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Dale_V wrote:

too late :evil: Im bringing the angle grinder on saturday

U will have a T-Bar :twisted:
:shock:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Rikki wrote:
allan welsh wrote:or alternatively
follow me

Fancy coming over and fixing mine forme allan ? LOL

R.

lol, yeah sure thing no worries bud, as long as you know where its leaking from then we can do the darned things. PM me :D
MarkyMR2

Post by MarkyMR2 »

After me being a smart ar$e and saying mine didnt leak a while back, I have developed a leak on the passenger side (sods law or wot!) :oops:
I have tried the spray but still seems to leak.
I did kindda spray it, wiped it, and stuck the roof back on. did I need to leave it exposed a little longer? wipe it in? :?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

MarkyMR2 wrote:After me being a smart ar$e and saying mine didnt leak a while back, I have developed a leak on the passenger side (sods law or wot!) :oops:
I have tried the spray but still seems to leak.
I did kindda spray it, wiped it, and stuck the roof back on. did I need to leave it exposed a little longer? wipe it in? :?

sounds like it!! Toni G will probably confirm but I'd say wack a load on and leave it to soak in - the rubber is probably just a bit dried out and so it does cover the area as well, hence the leaks?!

:D
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

I did kindda spray it, wiped it, and stuck the roof back on. did I need to leave it exposed a little longer? wipe it in? :?[/quote]

Yep, needs spraying well then leaving to dry properley, best done in the summer of course!!! :)
MarkyMR2

Post by MarkyMR2 »

Sound Job!!!
Cheers Lads 8)

Mark

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”