Alloy wheel painting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Alloy wheel painting

Post by Polypedates »

At last, they are primered, rubbed down and ready for the top coat :D Should I paint the teardrops first and then the face or vice versa?

Also, what's the best way of masking them given that masking tape is all straight edges and tear drops aren't?

I hate masking so looked for brush on dark grey enamel for the tear drops but only model shops had anything and the tins are way too small :roll:

Thanks
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Alloy wheel painting

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Pop into the auto paint/model shop in Liphook they do shed loads of different paints. May have just what you need or be able to get it.

I'd be tempted to paint the wheel first then mask round the outside of the teardrops. The masking tape can be carefully trimmed to fit with a razor. [-o<
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Polypedates wrote:At last, they are primered, rubbed down and ready for the top coat :D Should I paint the teardrops first and then the face or vice versa?

Also, what's the best way of masking them given that masking tape is all straight edges and tear drops aren't?

I hate masking so looked for brush on dark grey enamel for the tear drops but only model shops had anything and the tins are way too small :roll:

Thanks

Do the teardrop shapes first then mask them with low tack long duration masking tape it's less likely to rip the paint off. Mask it by liberally pushing it all into the teardrop shape getting it all over the shaped bit then get a really sharp blade and cut the tape flush with the surface by drawing the blade from the inside of the teardrop shape out, you get a really sharp edge. Spray the wheel the main silver colour, then unmask the teardrop bits and laquer the whole lot together. I got a blinding result on mine. Can send you step by step photos if you'd like. The humbrol gunmetal is a good colour but yes you do need a fair few tins.

karl
Red ones go faster......
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Polypedates wrote:At last, they are primered, rubbed down and ready for the top coat :D Should I paint the teardrops first and then the face or vice versa?

Thanks

Do the teardrop shapes first then mask them with low tack long duration masking tape it's less likely to rip the paint off. Mask it by liberally pushing it all into the teardrop shape getting it all over the shaped bit then get a really sharp blade and cut the tape flush with the surface by drawing the blade from the inside of the teardrop shape out, you get a really sharp edge. Spray the wheel the main silver colour, then unmask the teardrop bits and laquer the whole lot together. I got a blinding result on mine. Can send you step by step photos if you'd like. The humbrol gunmetal is a good colour but yes you do need a fair few tins.

karl
Red ones go faster......
FrankBelgium

Post by FrankBelgium »

Hey Karl,

I want to restore my MR2 tis summer and because I'm a student, I've very little budget...so I have to do a lot of things myself. I read your explaination a lot of times but I think I also need the pictures because my english is not that good! :oops:

Can you please send me your pictures to my mail?
[email protected]

the poor little student will be very thankful! :wink:

Cheers

Frank
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

I second that, can you post the pics please Karl. I've come this far, I don't want to do something silly now!

Also need to get to that place in Liphook - forgot all about it - good call Chris =D>
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Will do just as soon as I sort my email out. Error 550, relaying not allowed is suddenly all I see. :(

Karl
Red ones go faster......
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

FrankBelgium wrote:

Can you please send me your pictures to my mail?
[email protected]

Sent. 8 pics, total 2MB. Taken using a digital camera that't now a museum piece. :) So if your mail takes a while to come in you know what it is.

Karl
Red ones go faster......
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

I've always wondered if the teardrops should be painted darker. Now I know :lol:
DevaMR2

Post by DevaMR2 »

Perhaps something to be added to the Knowledge Base maybe??? Sounds pretty useful.
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Karl_T wrote:
Sent. 8 pics, total 2MB. Taken using a digital camera that't now a museum piece. :) So if your mail takes a while to come in you know what it is.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Is it possible to send me this as well? I'm looking to refurbish my teardrops as well.

TIA,
Gary.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

There is an alternative to painting them, i believe jinxy did it with his old alloys.

i cant quite remember, i think he painted the teardrops, then spun the whell around with fine grit sandpaper to get polished alloy, they looked amazing

hopefully he'll explain
johnp

alloy wheel painting

Post by johnp »

interesting subject which i seem to have got totally wrong!

some time ago i resprayed my wheels in single colour silver....because that's how they were!!---as far as i was aware the car was original and the wheels had never been painted before---now it seems the teardrops should be grey-!?

car is a late (dec 89) coupe pale blue metallic.

i will consider now doing the teardrop bits in grey but ONLY if someone can DEFINITELY con firm this is how they left the factory.

sorry to be pedantic.
johnp

alloy wheel painting

Post by johnp »

so are there no anoraks out there who can answer my question????
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

Yep the teardrop bits were difinately grey to begin with, mine still are. It's a dark metallic colour, not a flat grey.

Karl
Red ones go faster......
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Karl_T wrote:Yep the teardrop bits were difinately grey to begin with, mine still are. It's a dark metallic colour, not a flat grey.

Karl

Do you happen to know the colour code for the silver & the grey, would Halfords stock such items?

Cheers,
Gary.
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

The Holts gunmetal grey is an excellent match and is brush on so there is no need for masking. One tiny pot will put a single coat on 4 alloys. The only problem I had was getting a colour match across all the teardrops as despite repeated stirring and shaking the paint never truly mixed properly. Adding a small amount of thinners may help here.

As it stands, 2 of my wheels need a couple of the teardrops darkening to match and then I may finally get around to lacquering them.

I'm lacking the willpower at the moment though so they have been in the shed like that for 2 months :roll:
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Polypedates wrote:The Holts gunmetal grey is an excellent match and is brush on so there is no need for masking.

Started on the spare today - got all the paint off and then went shopping for the paints. Found grey primer, silver wheel paint and clear laquer in Halfords, but couldn't find Etching Primer as recommended in the KB, nor could I find the Holts gunmetal grey... all halfords had was their own brand spray paint.

Could I order this stuff online, or is paint one of the items that the royal mail won't deliver?

Cheers,
Gary.
(With one very shinny wheel! :)
Chunky Monkey

Post by Chunky Monkey »

I saw a set that had been polshed, looked awsome.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”