MK1a - car out of bodyshop/restorationage pics

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

MK1a - car out of bodyshop/restorationage pics

Post by Lauren »

Finally picked my car up today, its been in restoration since the end of Jan, so am pleased to finally have it back.

Its still not got the rubbing strips on as i'm trying to source the four front ones. Also haven't cleaned the wheels yet. These pics are after i wiped the snow off when i got back so no polishing or anything.

I must say this is the first time i've seen it with all the satin black stuff done on the bumpers, sills, front spoiler etc. I really think it sets the car off nicely.

John Rees

Re: MK1a - car out of bodyshop/restorationage pics

Post by John Rees »

Looks good to me, Are you happy, do the repairs look ok, no edges to them etc.

Looks as though you did a good job :wink:
Once you put some work in polishing it will look even better.

Good colour 8)

John
adamh

Post by adamh »

looking good!. I dont suppose that body shop is anywhere near sussex?
craig

Post by craig »

Must say the old girls looks well!!

Nice work
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

That looks cracking Lauren bet your well happy, just one small thing spoils it slightly, that gap between the front bumper and bonnet, ive seen this on loads of mk1s and they all seem to have varying gaps, anyone know why this is ? i had this on my red one no amount of trying to rectify it helped, but my blue one is completely flush no gap, other than that it looks great, make sure you keep on top of the polishing as red car are notorius for fading as i knew only too well, Jinxy
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

John Rees wrote:Looks good to me, Are you happy, do the repairs look ok, no edges to them etc.

Good colour 8)

John

I'll get some close up pics of the rear arches, i couldn't take photos easily because the sun was shining at a funny angle! They do look really good and like any good repair the proof in the pudding is that you can't see the joins with the replacement panels.

Sorry Adam, bodyshop is way oop north in Macclesfield.

Cheers Craig, i keep forgetting that the car is 19years old! ;)
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote:
John Rees wrote:Looks good to me, Are you happy, do the repairs look ok, no edges to them etc.

Good colour 8)

John

I'll get some close up pics of the rear arches, i couldn't take photos easily because the sun was shining at a funny angle! They do look really good and like any good repair the proof in the pudding is that you can't see the joins with the replacement panels.

Sorry Adam, bodyshop is way oop north in Macclesfield.

Cheers Craig, i keep forgetting that the car is 19years old! ;)

19!!!! :shock:

thought mine was old at 15! :shock:
vashy

Post by vashy »

Looking pretty nice Lauren! It's looking quite shiny already, will look pretty damn good when those wheels are cleaned!

Are those eyebrows (?) below the pop-ups meant to be black?

John
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

vashy wrote:Looking pretty nice Lauren! It's looking quite shiny already, will look pretty damn good when those wheels are cleaned!

John

Yep the eyebrows on the early cars were indeed black. They look better in the flesh than photos, I think.

I should point out that there are a fair few odds and sods i need to sort out, ie the numberplate looks bad so i'll replace that, plus there's the rubbing strips to sort out once i find the ones i need.

One things for sure i need to change those tyres. They are Pirelli P600s which are absolutely diabolical last forever type tyres with no grip whatsoever, i've already been sideways in it! ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:That looks cracking Lauren bet your well happy, just one small thing spoils it slightly, that gap between the front bumper and bonnet, ive seen this on loads of mk1s and they all seem to have varying gaps, anyone know why this is ? i had this on my red one no amount of trying to rectify it helped, but my blue one is completely flush no gap, other than that it looks great, make sure you keep on top of the polishing as red car are notorius for fading as i knew only too well, Jinxy

Cheers, Tony. The gap/shutline on the bonnet isn't brilliant as the car has been involved in a front end shunt at some point. The bumper bar is in incredibly good condition so i'd say that has been replaced. Don't think the original repair on the front has been done brilliantly as one of the wings is out of alignment a bit too.

So i'd guess the reason for varying gaps is because they have been involved in a shunt!

I will try and maintain the redness, though i have nothing against pink its not the way i want it to go! ;)
System-G

Post by System-G »

Lauren, can you please PM me the details of the place that did the work and roughly what it cost?

I recently won bidding for a C-Reg on ebay that will need some body work doing...

Obviously I'm going to look into places locally, but just want to keep my options open at the moment as I'm yet to collect the car.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

MOT news

Post by Lauren »

After battling with re-bleeding the brakes and winding in a rear caliper piston in the snow, i finally took it for the MOT re-test and it passed!!

just road tax to get now and i'm legal! :)
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Lauren wrote:
vashy wrote:Looking pretty nice Lauren! It's looking quite shiny already, will look pretty damn good when those wheels are cleaned!

John

Yep the eyebrows on the early cars were indeed black. They look better in the flesh than photos, I think.

I should point out that there are a fair few odds and sods i need to sort out, ie the numberplate looks bad so i'll replace that, plus there's the rubbing strips to sort out once i find the ones i need.

Have you changed the tyres Lauren as i sold the car to you with Bridgestone re720s1

The car looks fantastic i can't wait to see it in the flesh!!!!

One things for sure i need to change those tyres. They are Pirelli P600s which are absolutely diabolical last forever type tyres with no grip whatsoever, i've already been sideways in it! ;)
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

RedMR² wrote:Must say the old girls looks well!!

Nice work

mate that's no way to talk about lauren.

car looks good though! wish my rusty gold one looked that good when i had it nice!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Must say the old girls looks well!!

Nice work

mate that's no way to talk about lauren.

car looks good though! wish my rusty gold one looked that good when i had it nice!

LOL.

cheers, well any MK1 can be saved within reason i reckon! ;) Have just spent all day wiring up the stereo and have just about finished it.

Also took the car for the MOT re-test after battling with re-bleeding the brakes/winding caliper pistons in in the snow yesterday and it passed!! :)

Tax pending i will be on the road.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

What a jelous man i am! i wish it was me but the car looks great :cry:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mk1Supercharger SE Steve wrote:What a jelous man i am! i wish it was me but the car looks great :cry:

Well you could have done it. ;) I have been working flat out to get all the little things done, stereo is in and sorted, just got to do a service now, change engine, gear oil and plugs.

Something i discovered today, whats the story with the aerial? I pulled it and the whole lot came out!! I noticed there was this aerial thingy above the interior mirror, do you know if its wired up? cheers.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Lauren wrote:
Mk1Supercharger SE Steve wrote:What a jelous man i am! i wish it was me but the car looks great :cry:

Well you could have done it. ;) I have been working flat out to get all the little things done, stereo is in and sorted, just got to do a service now, change engine, gear oil and plugs.

Something i discovered today, whats the story with the aerial? I pulled it and the whole lot came out!! I noticed there was this aerial thingy above the interior mirror, do you know if its wired up? cheers.

Hi again lauren ,i know the areial thingy,as you say definately works! It was fine on my radio.
Not sure but might have been that the original aerial had broken many years before i got the car!

The thingy thing was there when i bought the car.

I had the speakers uprated to Kickers ,which i was told where the best for that size!!

I know it cost me £45 for the speakers and £40 for them to be be fitted,which i thought was a bit of a cheek as it only took them 30 mins but was their standard rate!!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ok cool,

It fits in pretty tightly, wonder if its just a matter of pushing it right in so that it makes a connection, radio reception doesn't seem brilliant so i'm guessing me pulling it out didn't help!

Well if it works okay then i'll leave as is. My radio isn't fantastic at picking up a reception it seems, but i'll have a fiddle and see if i can improve it.

Yep the speakers sound a lot better than the stock ones. I've put some pod type blaukpunkt ones in wired up to an amp down on the floor behind the seats. Its not mindblowing ICE but it seems to work pretty well and i think i'll be happy singing along to morrissey, dildo etc whilst i drive. ;)

Cheers.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

just got to do a service now, change engine, gear oil and plugs.

Changing the whole engine is a bit much for a service isn't it? ;)

Looks really good, damm, I want mine to look like that now...

My radio isn't fantastic at picking up a reception it seems, but i'll have a fiddle and see if i can improve it.

Pah, radio is for wimps, you just wanna listen to the wonderful engine at motorway speeds.. every morning.. until you go deaf... yes, I have no radio...

Oh - and looking forward to seeing it this weekend, if we don't get snowed off...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”