MK1 v MK2

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

adamh

Re: MK1 v MK2

Post by adamh »

Isn't it an auto though? 5K for an auto? no way he's on drugs!

ive been watching for an sc all year, macs always on drugs!, but then they are fine examples, obvs his polishing wages are included.
Last edited by adamh on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Leeroy wrote:it is an auto, yeh, just checked it out!

Why does it look different to normal, is it just the colour??

8)

Nothing overtly special about the colour its mica blue (nice colour though)

Think its the square number plate that makes it look different.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

or maybe lowered, different rims, tyre height.........?
adamh

Post by adamh »

Lauren wrote:

8)

lauren, dosent that make the heart bleed?!!.. thats got to be the most similar to your sc ,

monty, ring a friend
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

huh??
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

adamh wrote:
Lauren wrote:

8)

lauren, dosent that make the heart bleed?!!.. thats got to be the most similar to your sc ,

leeroy, ring a friend

Well yep i do miss my first MR2- Yummy, I had so much fun in it, it was such a shame as two weeks before I wrote it off i had a trip out to Spa and had a great time with the car, it was handling near perfectly too. I think that my car was still around when that pic was taken of Mike's car at Tatton Park (though can't be sure). I very nearly sold Mike my mica bootlid off Yummy as his one was quite badly damaged. I'm guessing he's changed it since then.
adamh

Post by adamh »

i hope he has for that price, mind, the mk1 sale forum isnt updated that regular, so its probably gone.

i think there isnt enough mk2 people supporting this age old fight, one things for sure, when mine is ready for the second time, i'll be showing them who's boss again!

wheres monty at?. majority is biased each way whatever the weather, i want to know what the mk2 owners have to say, anyone owned both for a long time? or have both at present?
Monty

Post by Monty »

Sorry, still here. Just been looking for cars on the web.

Although I have £4500 to spend it looks like you can get a half decent one for much less. Could then spend some of the remaining cash tidying it up??

Just trying to work out how to add a photo to these replies!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Monty wrote:Sorry, still here. Just been looking for cars on the web.

Although I have £4500 to spend it looks like you can get a half decent one for much less. Could then spend some of the remaining cash tidying it up??

Just trying to work out how to add a photo to these replies!

Yep thats what i was getting at. See my restoration pics (i only got it back out the bodyshop today:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4115

To put up pics simply type 'Image' obviously do it without the ' bits.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Looking good!!!

I am slightly biased as my MK1 was also in red, but I think it is the smartest (when it is not faded)!! It just seems to define the lines and show the model at its best.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Monty wrote:Looking good!!!

I am slightly biased as my MK1 was also in red, but I think it is the smartest (when it is not faded)!! It just seems to define the lines and show the model at its best.

Cheers. For the early MK1 I do think red is the colour to have as there's a good contrast with the black. mica blue and silver look really good on the later MK1s. mica blue is not too bad too find but silver is pretty rare.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

dangerous thread this!!! ok im mk1 biased,but its for a good reason,i want a sportscar,plain and simple....the mk2 drifted away from its roots and lost the sports car edge,sure its a good looking car but doesnt handle anywhere near as well as a mk1......for years i had to listen to mk2 owners bangin on about how good they were/fast etc so i went out and bought one! what can i say? it was nice and comfy,started every morning,did its job.....yawn! as soon as i tried to give it rice around the back roads it rolled all over the place,didnt point and squirt like my mk1,was forever trying to get any fun out of it....i wasnt impressed,there are way better cars out there in the mk2's grand tourer class,its sadly lacking for me,i sold it shortly after.

Nope its mk1 everytime,it blew away all of the competition during its production,can the mk2 boast the same? yes the mk2na is quicker in a straight line than a mk1na...and id rather do 1000miles in a mk2 than a mk1 but these are two seater cars,supposed to be about fun and sporty handling,something the mk2 lost and not an improvement over the mk1 in terms of producing a better sports car.

I and a few others get a lot of stick from mk2 owners,i think its because the tubby brigade have been able to wave the "nothings faster than a turbo" flag....so i went out and dropped "their" engine into the 300kg lighter mk1.....and blitzed the lot of them,"YOU'RE NOT SINGIN ANY....MORE !!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

My point is you dont have to put a silly engine into a mk1 to make it better than a mk2,it already is.The mk1 v mk2 debate will rage forever but its comparing two cars that arent really similar at all....there if that hasnt well n truly lit the fire nothing will...im gonna stand back now and watch this baby burn... :lol:
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

I am growing to like the MK1, there are some rust buckets about my way, and thats why I dont like. But I saw a mint Red one near the missus which was immaculte.

I like the idea of fitting a V6 in there too. If Paul Woods' turns out to be a monster I might sell the tubby and get him to build me one, but it would have to have a turbo on there somewhere :lol:

:)
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Paul, just read the write up on your V6 conversion. Truly impressive engineering! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/V6MR2.html
Only disappointment is the write up ends 27th September, just after you had fired up the engine. What has happened since then? How does it perform, does it handle well?

Paul, couldn't agree with your comments more. I remember being really disappointed when the MK2 came out. Don't even know why they called it an MR2, they should have called it a MR3 or something, they are like chalk and cheese!

I came from a Fiat X1/9 background, having owned three (including an tuned 1800cc twincam with all the goodies). Loved the little cars, the handling was superb. However the standard engine and brakes were feeble. A guy called Nick Troth shoehorned a 3 litre V6 Alfa into his and the performance was truly astonishing. Unfortunately however soon after completing it he wrote if off! My Dad enquired about building another one for him but he wanted £12K to do it. I see the Mk1 as just a better engineered version of the X1/9.

Anyway back to MR2's and MR3's. 1/4 mile table, what's that all about! Who gives a toss! If I wanted to do a good 1/4 mile time I'd build a dragster. If I wanted to have fun on some B roads or somewhere like Angelsey (Ty Croes) I'd use my Mk1. If there were some roads like Silverstone then maybe I would be tempted to buy an Mk2, but there aren't.

I see the Mk1 as a sports car and the Mk2 as a sports tourer. Having said which I still think the Mk1 is quite a comfortable car for doing long distances in. Of course it is all relative. My Dad has an Elise. It is great fun round a track but it bumps, rattles and squeaks dreadfully on the road. If you hit a cats eye it is a major event.

Mk1 every time!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Monty wrote:Looking good!!!

Monty, lots of opinions on here. At the end of the day, you've got to test drive a few and see what you prefer. I've got a Mk1 NA and a Mk2 Turbo at the moment and enjoy them both.

The Mk1 ..

The Mk1 with its NA engine sounds fantastic over 4k rpms with a cone intake, the SC even better - its practically begging you to wind it up to redline. I find I have to watch my speed much more in the Mk1 than the Mk2.

Driving wise, around backroads and tracks it is very progressive and informative - there is lots of body roll on early Mk1'a' though, which took some getting used to after a fairly stiffly sprung Mk2 Turbo. The Mk1 is actually my trackday car.

Stiling wise, the 80's angular styling doesn't work for me - but that isn't the reason why I have one.

The Mk2 ...

Seriously, if you get a test drive in a turbo, the most impressive thing is the flexibility of the turbo'd engine which gives it get up and go in any gear. Fit an intake and exhaust and the soundtrack to go with a backroad blast is great.

The Mk2 is a bigger and slightly more practical car than the Mk1 and its probably worth noting, the later Rev2-on cars had additional safety features like side impact protection beams.

Driving it along backroads, it is very entertaining. The Turbo means you can concentrate on road observation / lines / braking without having to stir the gearbox to get the most out of the engine.

Around tracks, its very quick and able to catch all bar caterfields. Pushing to the very limit of grip I'd say the feedback you get is a little more muted than that from the Mk1, but both can be driven rapidly.

Styling, - well, for me the Mk2's curvy styling still looks fantastic.

Just my 2p.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Paul, just read the write up on your V6 conversion. Truly impressive engineering! http://www.mr2mk1club.com/V6MR2.html
Only disappointment is the write up ends 27th September, just after you had fired up the engine. What has happened since then? How does it perform, does it handle well?

Cheers! rather proud of her myself....once the conversion was done i had to put her to one side and concentrate on my business,unfortunately lily is not a good example and needs loads of welding and brake/suspension work to make her roadgoing....so the only driving ive done is 10 feet backwards and forwards to check everything works.The plan is to get the car up to scratch and then give it some serious roadtesting in time for the show season.Ive just fitted a full set of mk3 ohlins coilovers to the car,i can hardly bounce the wings! rock hard! i think maybe too hard for the roads but it will make for an interesting track day....brakes are taking the form of gt4 st185 twin pot front calipers initially mounted onto the stock disc and later on special adapter brackets and 325mm bmw discs.Rears are mk2 turbo 22v calipers cut and welded to fit over 280mm vw corrado front vented discs,all with a mk2 turbo master cylinder.....should go and stop pretty well!

Anyway this thread isnt about my v6,back to the mk1 v mk2 debate! :D
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Hi,

I would always go for a mkII, the MKI is just too old fashioned and 'square' looking for my likings.

The MKII is a pretty good track car/fun car anyway.

Paul.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

on a country road how old fashioned do they look from the rear? :lol:
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Paul Woods wrote:on a country road how old fashioned do they look from the rear? :lol:

I've NEVER been in that situation mate, so I wouldnt know!!! :P

Paul.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

i had my first drive in a Mk1 last night. Very impressed with the drive, shame about the rust!

Gonna have a look at a few more (and maybe some Mk2's), as the driving experience was nice, bit gutless compare to a Supra but far more willing to change direction.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”