Toyo R888 V T1-R V T1-S

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hugo

Re: Toyo R888 V T1-R V T1-S

Post by Hugo »

I am not in herts but HEREFORDSHIRE, I got them from Ian Jones tyres of Kington and they were £200.00 because I get the vat back.
I am now really nervous about even trying them a little. As what you say seem right good front end grip in wet bad rear = 360 degrees.

Can anyone but my mind at rest.

Hugo
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hugo wrote:Toyo T IR’s I see what you are saying. Should not have been rushed into this I was desperate for back tyres! Was told that they would be fine but “be aware in the rain” What will be the problems other than in the wet when they might be a handful?

hugo

Well its a bit anyones guess, but in the dry it'll just understeer. In the wet you may suffer from aquaplaning if there is a lot of standing water, i'd watch out for that.

Its really not an ideal situation to have a mix of such different tyres on your car though as the 888s will have a fair bit more grip than the fronts. Mind you its in the wet and particuarly standing water that i'd be careful.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I've been running the R888 for the past year and found them to be fantastic. Lauren, I honestly think that you are giving very much the wrong impression to some people that may well have tried the R888 and found them to be great as I have! ;) Your making them out to sound like they are complete crap but in truth tyres are very much a personal thing and so what doesn't suit your own driving style may well be the very thing someone else was looking for :) As for your comments about them being a budget option, I really wish that this was true! Have you seen the cost of these things? lol

To sum up... I have been running the R888 for the last year now both on track and road. On track they are like nothing else I have tried to date. On the road they once again filled me full of confidence. Even in the wet I found them to be nothing like as bad as some will have you believe!? :-k Obviously their are better wet weather tyres out there but given that these are semi slicks they really do pretty well and are by no means dangerous. Bearing in mind I ran them straight through the winter also. So I can say that I will be giving them another go this year. Fingers crossed i'll have enough to scrub them in before TOTB this year instead of doing it out on the track as I did last year lol :)

Mikejc
[SiG]

Post by [SiG] »

How many miles did the R888's do for ya Mike?

Si
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Just shy of 6000 on the rears and the front are still going strong with nearly 7000 on them now :shock: Bearing in mind that they have seen a couple of track days, drag days and some hard use on the roads too =D>

Mikejc
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mikejc wrote:I've been running the R888 for the past year and found them to be fantastic. Lauren, I honestly think that you are giving very much the wrong impression to some people that may well have tried the R888 and found them to be great as I have! ;) Your making them out to sound like they are complete crap but in truth tyres are very much a personal thing and so what doesn't suit your own driving style may well be the very thing someone else was looking for :) As for your comments about them being a budget option, I really wish that this was true! Have you seen the cost of these things? lol

To sum up... I have been running the R888 for the last year now both on track and road. On track they are like nothing else I have tried to date. On the road they once again filled me full of confidence. Even in the wet I found them to be nothing like as bad as some will have you believe!? :-k Obviously their are better wet weather tyres out there but given that these are semi slicks they really do pretty well and are by no means dangerous. Bearing in mind I ran them straight through the winter also. So I can say that I will be giving them another go this year. Fingers crossed i'll have enough to scrub them in before TOTB this year instead of doing it out on the track as I did last year lol :)

Mikejc

Basically Mike there are much better tyres out there. I'm basing my findings on all the people i speak to in the trackday world. Also don't forget BaT supply tyres so there is quite a lot of feedback from there too.

They may seem like the best thing since sliced bread to you and fair enough have no problem with that but believe me you get to see trends in tyres after a while and amongst the regular trackdayers and the racers i know, 888s don't rank very highly at all. In fact Toyos are perceived pretty lowly full stop. It still amazes me how they always appear so popular in the 'forum world'. Yes they may be much better than your average TDF, but these things are relative and compare them with say a yokoneova or a michelin pilot sport cup tyre and they look pretty poor in comparison.

i didn't think you did trackdays?

In summary: A048s would be the way to go if you want a trackday 'cut-slick' type tyre.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Hey Lauren.

I'm not saying they are the best tyres out there as i'm the first to admit that i've not tried everything that is on offer. But they are without doubt the best I have tried so far :)

The A048's are on my list to try as i've heard great things about these. The guys I know out in Jap land swear by them. Have you tried them personally or just heard via the grape vine?

Mikejc
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mikejc wrote:Hey Lauren.

I'm not saying they are the best tyres out there as i'm the first to admit that i've not tried everything that is on offer. But they are without doubt the best I have tried so far :)

The A048's are on my list to try as i've heard great things about these. The guys I know out in Jap land swear by them. Have you tried them personally or just heard via the grape vine?

Mikejc

Yep have tried them, was mostly on the road though (bizzarre i know) in Jonny's elise (drove it to Zandvoort and Spa and back)... pretty impressive tyre though a bit hard over catseyes! though to be fair the suspension was setup very hard. Stupid grip on the road though. Also general consensus is these are the way to go for a road legal track type tyre.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Interesting views from Lauren & Mike as always, I have now arranged to put a pair on the front, at the weekend as this would seem to be the safest way to go. I note your comments and look forward to trying them when I have a set of 888 all round. I will let you know what I think is a week or so.
Hugo
jonno

Post by jonno »

I still cant find anywhere that sells A048's for less than £160 a corner in my sizes, so I wont be trying them for some considerable time :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

whats the difference between the A048's and the A032's? :-k
they list different compounds of these tyres on demon tweeks - super soft =P~

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... tlgrp=M010
LuizeGT

Post by LuizeGT »

what i was saying was that not everyone can afford to spend £500 odd on tyres, and the T1R's i got a full set for £300 delivered which i think are good value for money against alot of other tyres in that price range.

i dont to trackdays anymore since kitting up the car so dont see the real reason for putting super duper track tyres on that will cost me £££££ when the proxies suit my needs, :)

i dont drive like a pansy on the roads and love cornering in the 2 :wink: and havnt spun on these yet

*goes off and touches wood*
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

quigonjay wrote:whats the difference between the A048's and the A032's? :-k
they list different compounds of these tyres on demon tweeks - super soft =P~

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... tlgrp=M010

32Rs are quite a lot different, they aren't road legal for a start.

A048s are though.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Hate the T1-R but love the T1-S. For the price they're good tyres IMO. They last no time on the rear of even a lowly Mk1 (6k including a track day) but I find the level of handling acceptable for everyday driving and they seem pretty good on the track.

I've had some issues with the 539s I have on the rear of the car as they were somewhat snappy (not progressive :whistle: ) until I pumped them up to 34psi (were 32ish :mrgreen: ).

BTW Lauren many Caternail drivers swear by F1s as track tyres. :wink: All down to vehicle weight.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:
BTW Lauren many Caternail drivers swear by F1s as track tyres. :wink: All down to vehicle weight.

Really, you think so? That really surprises me. Yes i'm sure the F1s will cope better with a lighter car as they will need less pressure and will suffer less with heat issues.

If you drive a caterham though there are two main choices: ACB10s and CR500s. Not much point running anything else on a caternail.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Suprised me too, a lot of the guys I know on the Locost forum use them on the track.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Limeymk1 wrote:Suprised me too, a lot of the guys I know on the Locost forum use them on the track.

ahhh you mentioned locost, not quite a caternail(!)... that'll be why then. ;)

have never seen a caternail owner run on F1s unless they are running stupid wheels in which case they have no idea.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Caternail, Locost, what's the difference? :shock: :whistle:
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

About 20K ! Been there done that, never again.

Hugo
Lemondesign

Post by Lemondesign »

Just a thought for maybe someone from the committee, but in the days when I was involved with the club magazine for one of the Porsche clubs, it was possible to get tyres to try out from some of the tyre companies. Might be worth asking some for a set to try out and get someone to write a report on each of them. Just an idea.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”