Good charge cooler hose (st205)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Good charge cooler hose (st205)

Post by jonb- »

ST205cc guys (so most of us by now...)

I'm after some good hose for my chargecooler install. Most people are recommending I go to a fish center and get the re-enforced hose they sell for pumps but that's only good for 60degrees which isn't ideal in an engine bay.

I could of course buy samco but it's a) not clear and i'd like clear to aid with bleeding and b) over a tenner a meter and i'm guessing i need around 7 meters.

Any tips would be welcome.
Mikejc

Re: Good charge cooler hose (st205)

Post by Mikejc »

jonb- wrote:ST205cc guys (so most of us by now...)

I'm after some good hose for my chargecooler install. Most people are recommending I go to a fish center and get the re-enforced hose they sell for pumps but that's only good for 60degrees which isn't ideal in an engine bay.

I could of course buy samco but it's a) not clear and i'd like clear to aid with bleeding and b) over a tenner a meter and i'm guessing i need around 7 meters.

Any tips would be welcome.

I'm running the hose from an aquarium centre without issue. If you channel it correctly it wont be too near to anything that with heat it enough to melt it. But for extra piece of mind i used heat wrap on mine, but only lower down where the hose is closer to the downpipe ;)

Mikejc
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

I guess that's one solution mike :mrgreen:

Anyone else? I guess i better add heat wrap to my already £300 demon tweeks order.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

jonb- wrote: Most people are recommending I go to a fish center and get the re-enforced hose they sell for pumps

I know myself , Mr edwards, Andi (AM Tuning) for starters don't use the re-inforced hose - how are you gonna "clamp" the ends ? - you need it squashable to connect onto the plastic L pieces, core inlet/outlet and rad etc etc..

I have the 3/4inch transparent misty white plastic hose that turns completely clear when the CC water starts running through it (warms it up a tad).
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Do you have Golfish in the car as well as other fish products? :mrgreen: :lol:
MR2 GT-S Rev3 Red Trackcar
nailmonkey

Post by nailmonkey »

I'm using proper heater/coolant hose due to the 60 degree thing.

Having said that, the aquarium hose should be fine, working on the same principal that allows you to boil water in a paper bag over a naked flame...

Nik
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

nailmonkey wrote:Having said that, the aquarium hose should be fine,

proven for the last 3 years in Mark's engine bay :wink:
and he doesn't have any engine bay fans (like rogue's) either.
and he doesn't exactly drive like a grandma :mrgreen:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

"and he doesn't exactly drive like a grandma :mrgreen:[/quote]"

Agreed, i've always seen him as more of a Granddad with a polished head :clown: :wink:

Mikejc
jonno

Post by jonno »

I run the aquarium 19mm clear stuff from my local hardware store - it failed last summer when my pump broke and the water stopped flowing, obviously the heat from the downpipe melted the hose and what was left of the CC coolant drained all overt the circuit - nice :)

Having said that, I am still running the same stuff, just down the passenger side of the car so it wont get so hot again, even if the pump fails.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “Modifications”