greddy profec b2 EBC help please :)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Flamby

greddy profec b2 EBC help please :)

Post by Flamby »

heya people,
I've just been searching and I have sort of found the answer to my question but I want to be certain before I do it tomorrow :)

right out of the back of my greddy ebc I have got direct power for the unit ( powered off ciggy lighter ), power cable for the solonoid which Ive run to the back and a hose which says it has to be spliced into the fuel pressure regulator.... now I dont want to start cutting things up without being certain... I've read on here and I think I understand that what I actually need to do is just connect this hosing to the same place Im taking my boost gauge reading from ? is this right?

Would be great if someone can just put me straight.
Thanks in advance :D
Dan
Flamby

Re: greddy profec b2 EBC help please :)

Post by Flamby »

so can anyone confirm if I can just t off my current aftermarket boost gauge hosing and use that for the EBC to get the reading?

The reason I think this is right is because currently I have it semi hooked up ( power to unit is hooked up :) ) and the hose which is supposedly ment to be hooked up to the fuel pressure regulator isnt at the moment so Ive left it losse and un connected and the unit is telling me I've got -0.1 psi, so Im guessing if this is hooked up to the current boost gauge piping it will work correctly ?
haha anyway unless someone says different Im gonna go try that :)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

yep, splice or t in where you get your boost guage measurement...

you are hitting stock boost already arnt you?
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

awesome cheers jimGTS, well currently its on a manual grainger valve that is set to 15psi, Id only want the EBC to keep it round that number too.

Thankyou for your help though :) gonna get out and play with these settings :-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

search greddy profec spec II on the forum, and there should be a few posts on how to set it up...
including something i wrote.
ive spliced mine at the boost pressure sensor, where i put my boost guage.
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

sweet thats cool jim, I'll have a look! Cheers again
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

right well got another problem which I thought I would add to this thread instead of starting a new one...

right the other day hooked it up and it all worked fine :) held 15 psi spot on which is exactly what I wanted... right now yesterday it went in for its new alarm, that came back all fitted and the guy there told me how he had sorted out all my wiring as he said it was a mess.

now I pick it up from there drive home to see I am only boosting 9psi, I checked the settings on the ebc and all was same as what I had set.. right anyway today I check the wiring to find that my wire from control unit to solonoid in the engine bay had been cut and just wrapped up neatly #-o so I proceed to rewire and try it again, still only 9psi, I tried reverting all settings back to 0 on the control unit and still nothing, seems really odd oh and I cant hear the distinctive clicking I could hear before when boosting.

Anyone got any ideas at all? :D
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Sounds like the solenoids not activating and your just going off actuator pressure.
He hasnt cut the solenoid cable anywhere else has he?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

AdamR wrote:
He hasnt cut the solenoid cable anywhere else has he?

yeh, check all wires....
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

ok guys, yeah the solonoid cable was cut once so I will check for more... I quickly tried to rewire them "quickly" might have been my problem but the weather at the moment didn't give me more of a chance than that :roll:

I'll have another look when the next dry patch is here :D cheers guys, its what I thought too, just making sure there wasn't like a reset button for it or something you know...

cheers :D
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

right ok this is odd now, Ive checked all the wires from source to the solenoid, and still nothing... Ive now gone back to the manual boost valve and its gone back up to the 15psi it was set at before so atleast its something to do with the ebc for sure :)

anyway I have a fear, Ive realised today I mounted the solenoid under the big hole in the bonnet, so its open to the elements and with the rain we've had here in the last few days it must have got drenched completely, anyone know if this is a problem that could have affected it ?

Thanks in advance guys.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

may have done.
i placed mine in the engine bay.
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

yeah mines in the engine bay but below one of the vents, the vent which has no plastic protecting the engine bay from the outside world, sorry didnt explain myself well the first time.

if I have screwed it up is it easy to get a replacement solenoid?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

no it isnt....
or going to be extremely hard as they all come in kits.....

i really dont see how a bit water could bu88er it tho......

did you check ALL wires, all the ones going to the ebc as well???

i suggest you take the whole unit out, check it all and install again.
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

ah ok Jim, cheers mate, I will reinstall it all over again this weekend :) thanks for your help mate.
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

Right ok IVe had time to refit it completely and this is what Ive found.

Ive used a volt meter from the loom that connects to the back of the unit to the loom that connects to the solenoid and all is fine, brilliant circuit on live wire and earth wire so the cuts that were made to my wiring by the car alarm installers are all fixed.

right now my only possible thoughts now are that

- the solenoid is stuck? is this even possible?
- the solenoid is short circuited? is this even possible too?
- the unit isn't sending a signal anymore due to a short circuit?

perhaps if it was a short circuit, it occurred when they were fitting the alarm?

atleast I know my wiring is fine so I know its not a fault my end just annoying when I can't test to see if either of the main bits are broken.

and the unit still displays settings and a vacuum reading absolutly fine.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Any help is fantastic :D
70by

Post by 70by »

i had a second hand blitz boost controller on my rev 1,the boost control solenoid had siezed. but it did come off a scrap car that had been out in the elements for a while,seems too much of a coinsidence that yours would go wrong after your wiring was changed. if he cut the wires while it was live(off the cigerette lighter) i reckon its fried it!!! mine still displayed ok with the siezed solenoid. hope this helps
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

yeah I have a feeling he fried it too :( ah well :(
yeah its still displaying fine on mine too, so either its seized as yours did or perhaps the whole thing is fried, I thought they might have shorted it by wrapping the earth and live that goes to the solenoid together with wires touching :( idiots :(

good to hear someone has had same sort of proble,, ah well guess I'll save and get a avcr :D lol cheers mate, if anyone else knows anything or can help please say.
johnnymr2

Post by johnnymr2 »

i wouldnt be 100% convinced that it is the solenoid as im guessin that the ebc has some kind of protection to allow for this kind of thing. also the solenoid is just a coil and so a short duration of high current shouldnt, im not saying definately, kill it. have you tested to see what the resistance is through the coil?? you will know if its bu88ered! also you could try to disconnect it from the ebc and flash a 9v pp3 battery acoss it to see if you get any clicking. i have exactly the same problem as you and iv bin troubled by it for a couple of months now. the garage have tried a few things but nothing found as of yet.
Flamby

Post by Flamby »

ah cheers for your input johnnymr2 :) good to hear in a way that someone else has a similiar issue! I will test the resistanc on the coil asap to see if it is bu88ered, if you do find anything mate would be great to hear a solution :) I'll keep trying to figure it out too! :)
cheers again people for trying to help, seems really odd.
Dan

Return to “Modifications”