Toyo R888 V T1-R V T1-S

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gouda

Toyo R888 V T1-R V T1-S

Post by Gouda »

Can anyone vouch for any of these tires?, was thinking of replacing the rears with one of these three but have never used any them before so don't know which one would be best.

Presumably the R888's provide the best grip but is it really $30 a corner better? especially on an N/A

225/50/15

Thanks.
CosmosblueMR2

Re: Toyo R888 V T1-R V T1-S

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

T-1s's were replaced with the T1-r's :wink:

R888 are cut slicks in essence so dry grip is much better - in the wet however it's obviously a trade off.

so depends on your usage really :-k

search function brings up a whole load of info on them
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Just about everyone i know who has used 888s, says they are crap, so not worth it really. Much the same holds for poxies tbh.

If you want something decent try yoko s-drives or advan sports. I'm not sure if they are available in 225/50/15s though, so you'd have to check that.

I have recently put a set of S-Drives on my car, took it out round rockingham yesterday, pretty impressed with the levels of grip.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

toyo proxies should be named proxy. In thre 15" std sizes they are rubbish, thats my findings anyway :(
jonno

Post by jonno »

I rate the R888. Most Toyo's are pants though. I suspect most trackday junkies dont like them much because they were designed for heavy jap cars and not superlight spaceframe cars with bike engines ;)

Take some heating up before they work.

Seem OK to me in the wet as well - although I havent been on track with them in the wet.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

At my last trackday someone ran with 2 sets of wheels, the first a set of F1's and the second a set of r888's which had gone through a few heat cycles.

If i heard correctly, after the first run with the r888's their comment was something to the effect of "damn these are crap, the f1's gripped better"
Baker

Post by Baker »

Changed to T1-R's recently and am very disappointed. they are worse than the kuhmos i had on before, and close to nangkang!

the sidewalls are too soft and they offer awful grip in the dry compared to others ive tried.

wont buy them again.

problem is there is little alternative in that size...exalto seems the best bet, or sp9000's.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

now i've had them on for a bit i dont rate the T1-R's either, wish i had gone with the OE fitment yoko A022's now #-o
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:I rate the R888. Most Toyo's are pants though. I suspect most trackday junkies dont like them much because they were designed for heavy jap cars and not superlight spaceframe cars with bike engines ;)

Seem OK to me in the wet as well - although I havent been on track with them in the wet.

I take a keen interest in tyres and often talk to people about their tyre choice when on the pitlane (i know its sad). I've not heard a lot of good about 888s from anyone.. in fact i was talking to about this was Chris Wilson when i saw him with his skyline at angersea back in March. He had 888s on, said they were crap, but cheap, but he wouldn't be using them again. A048s are the way to go and the dunlop (can't remember the model) seem to have reasonable reviews amongst users. You can read exactly the same for poxies, judging what people have said about them on trackdays.

Personally i think its daft though using trackday type tyres on the road, much better to go for a decent road tyre such as S-drives and i bet the new advan sport (haven't seen anyone with these of yet and am first AFAIK to have the S-Drives on my car). I currently have Sdrives on the front and S306s on the rear. Unfortunately for me the crappy S306s came with the wheels i bought, in practice obviously the S-Drives have a lot more grip having a traction rating of AA compared to teh 'A' of the S306s. On track well the car doesn't understeer at all, perhaps unsurprisingly and it was very, hard to unstick the front end in the dry (this is my uberbarge btw with 225/45/17s). With S-Drives all round i would have a huge amount of grip, can't see why you would really need more on the track tbh. Would like to try the Advan Sports, but chose the S-Drive (boyfriend pressure on price). I'll try the Advan sports next time, though Mark was worried about the wear rating and its not a track car after all really.

http://www.yokohama-online.com/gb/pages/IEFRAME.HTM
Baker

Post by Baker »

quigonjay wrote:now i've had them on for a bit i dont rate the T1-R's either, wish i had gone with the OE fitment yoko A022's now #-o

Dont sell em with your rears :(
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

I had T1-r's on the rear before, and now have F1's allround (Although on different wheels- 17s now, stock 15s before). I thought the T1r's were very good for the price, but the F1's are better tyres(also a fair bit more ££), basically more grippy. This is all road driving btw, not been on track yet.

Having said the F1s are better, i wouldnt hesitate to buy T1rs again, i got over 10k miles out of the rears and even with 1mm tread left (While i was waiting for my new wheels to arrive!) they still gripped!
Baker

Post by Baker »

TheRoadWarrior wrote:I had T1-r's on the rear before, and now have F1's allround (Although on different wheels- 17s now, stock 15s before). I thought the T1r's were very good for the price, but the F1's are better tyres(also a fair bit more ££), basically more grippy. This is all road driving btw, not been on track yet.

Having said the F1s are better, i wouldnt hesitate to buy T1rs again, i got over 10k miles out of the rears and even with 1mm tread left (While i was waiting for my new wheels to arrive!) they still gripped!

your superior suspension may help i guess.
jont

Post by jont »

Just put T1-Rs on my rears to replace the ones it had on from Japan (Bridgesone Potenza 3). Not very impressed, far to soft sidewalls - the rear seems to move around a lot more. Wet grip is probably better than the old ones (which although they had plenty of tread were starting to crumble through age). Dry grip - well, I haven't been near the limits. Soft sidewalls mean they're very progressive, but don't think I'll be buying them again.

Blackcirlces are currently listing the SO-3 as being available in 225-50/15. Think I'll be giving that (or the F1s) a go next. Despite doing 10-12k miles a year, I'd much rather have a grippy tyre than a long lived one, especially on a car like the '2.
Gouda

Post by Gouda »

Have been recommended the Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico by a friend, having felt the difference on the front of his Fiat Coupe 20VT after putting these on i'm inclined to give them a try.

Anyone ever used these tires on a 2?
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

i used to have t1-s tyres, now i've got t1-r. the t1-s were better IMO. However, the other tyres that have been on my car - Falken, Dunlop , Michelin (not sure which tyre model on each) were worse for grip in the wet and dry. Falkens should be buried with radioactive waste.

I haven't tried goodyears on this car, but going from some of the reviews on here, i may slap them on next time i need a change.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well that's food for thought - now have some new wheels on my wagon and am looking for a very good grippy tyre - wheels are 16x7" and will be mostly for track work. Need something extremely grippy - would welcome suggestions. :-k I have Eagle F1s all round on my MK2 at the moment, good for normal road driving, but melt and roll on track...
T
Baker

Post by Baker »

Gouda wrote:Have been recommended the Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico by a friend, having felt the difference on the front of his Fiat Coupe 20VT after putting these on i'm inclined to give them a try.

Anyone ever used these tires on a 2?

Theyre the best tyres around i believe. on a few of the super cars at the moment
jonno

Post by jonno »

Lauren wrote:
jonno wrote:I rate the R888. Most Toyo's are pants though. I suspect most trackday junkies dont like them much because they were designed for heavy jap cars and not superlight spaceframe cars with bike engines ;)

I take a keen interest in tyres and often talk to people about their tyre choice when on the pitlane (i know its sad). I've not heard a lot of good about 888s from anyone.. in fact i was talking to about this was Chris Wilson when i saw him with his skyline at angersea back in March. He had 888s on, said they were crap, but cheap, but he wouldn't be using them again. A048s are the way to go and the dunlop (can't remember the model) seem to have reasonable reviews amongst users. You can read exactly the same for poxies, judging what people have said about them on trackdays.

Personally i think its daft though using trackday type tyres on the road, much better to go for a decent road tyre such as S-drives and i bet the new advan sport (haven't seen anyone with these of yet and am first AFAIK to have the S-Drives on my car). I currently have Sdrives on the front and S306s on the rear. Unfortunately for me the crappy S306s came with the wheels i bought, in practice obviously the S-Drives have a lot more grip having a traction rating of AA compared to the 'A' of the S306s. On track well the car doesn't understeer at all, perhaps unsurprisingly and it was very, hard to unstick the front end in the dry (this is my uberbarge btw with 225/45/17s). With S-Drives all round i would have a huge amount of grip, can't see why you would really need more on the track tbh. Would like to try the Advan Sports, but chose the S-Drive (boyfriend pressure on price). I'll try the Advan sports next time, though Mark was worried about the wear rating and its not a track car after all really.

http://www.yokohama-online.com/gb/pages/IEFRAME.HTM

Thats interesting, I have heard pretty much the opposite about the R888 - although mostly from Evo guys, my cossie mates are all still running F1's - I dont know anybody who likes the proxies range at all. I suspect a large proportion of MR2 owners will be restrained by tyre sizes though, especially MkII's on 17's.

As for the R888's, the sidewalls are very soft and they do take some getting used to - they tend to break away easier than you expect but are also very progressive. Same as Chris, I got em because they were cheap and to be honest I havent had a chance to really get stuck in to them on track yet, well no more than a couple of laps - although they do seem to inspire me with increased confidence over my previous tyres.

Time will tell - probably once they are worn out and I need to decide what to replace them with :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Well that's food for thought - now have some new wheels on my wagon and am looking for a very good grippy tyre - wheels are 16x7" and will be mostly for track work. Need something extremely grippy - would welcome suggestions. :-k I have Eagle F1s all round on my MK2 at the moment, good for normal road driving, but melt and roll on track...
T

Toni,

in a word: Yokoneovas, you can fit S2 front sizes, am guessing they'd be 195/45/16s... would need to check that though. Had these in S1 sizes on my old SC.... best thing since sliced bread basically. Took abuse well too.

Other option would be Advan Sports they are brand new out and you ought to have more room for manouevre with sizes.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Yeah want to go slightly bigger than 195s...thanks will check sizes.
T

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”