GT Battle/Time attack

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

oddball

GT Battle/Time attack

Post by oddball »

Just wondering if anyone else from here is going to Rockingham this sunday?
Could make a meet out of it, Just hope the weather will be better than last year! (and i dont spin 270 degrees in the road, coming off a roundabout like i did last year!)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: GT Battle/Time attack

Post by tonigmr2 »

We did wonder about putting an IMOC team in :-k But everybody is a bit TOTB orientated at the moment...maybe next year.
T
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

What is this? TOTB bores me silly tbh, is this more interesting/skill orientated?

Thanks
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well it's timed laps around a track. Depends on what you think constitutes skill. :wink:
T
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

skinthespin wrote:What is this? TOTB bores me silly tbh, is this more interesting/skill orientated?

Thanks

What the hell are you on about!? :? TOTB covers all of the main disciplines, ie handling circuit, 1/4 mile and Top speed runs =D>

What was you thinking of.... juggling a troop of midget pikey's whilst humming the A-Team theme and hopping on one leg, which just so happens to be made of wood !? lol ;)

Mikejc
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

I think a top speed run and a quarter mile dont constitute much skill tbh, I think reverse parking requires more. The handling circuit is ok but its usually done on an airfield and just a bit pants IMO.

Timed laps around what? A proper track etc? Is there more to it than that?

Thanks
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

skinthespin wrote:I think a top speed run and a quarter mile dont constitute much skill tbh, I think reverse parking requires more. The handling circuit is ok but its usually done on an airfield and just a bit pants IMO.

Timed laps around what? A proper track etc? Is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Granted top speed runs simply require a good deal of power, decent sized balls and enough room to indulge. You could also say that to a point the power angle can also be applied to drag racing, but in truth their is more skill involved than you give credit =; Launching a bhp rich car consistently well is far from easy infact. i'll agree that once you have passed this point things do become easier. All you really need to do after the initial launch is change up through the gears without fluffing any. I think the launch is what wins or losses a drag race in short.

All that aside, running the 1/4 is also a means to be able to pit yourself against the clock in order to see if all your tuning is on the right path :)

At the end of the day each to their own. But your comments are a little bit of a slap in the face for all of us that work so hard to make a good show of ourselves and this club :( Maybe your energy would be better spent getting behind the iMOC team rather than trivializing our hard work O:)

Mikejc
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Mike, I think you need to get off your high horse, I have never trivialised anyones work, I think drag racing is dull and requires far less skill than driving quickly round a track, and thats just my opinion, and whats the thing with balls and top speed, you dont even get a sensation of speed at somewhere like Elvington, theres absolutely nothing to it.

The point I was making is TOTB is a car contest, not a driving/skill contest, where a well developed car will do well, which is fine if you want to test the car and the work you have done, but I don't think an MR2 will do that well against the 600bhp Skylines and ex WRC cars that will be there, and I do hope Mark and everyone all the very best and genuinely hope im wrong and that they show up a few people.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's always a car contest don't you think? This new 'timed lap round a track' will be no different IMHO. The tuners with balls out cars will be the ones doing the best...

But if you think drag racing requires no skill you'd be wrong. It's an art to launch a car, believe me.
T
ribbo

Post by ribbo »

isnt there the drift thigny there and tiff's competing with fifth gear filming?
skinthespin

Post by skinthespin »

Im not saying theres no skill, but theres nothing approaching the levels required to pedal a car around a track at a decent pace, and a decent amount of skill can make up quite a power defecit around a track whereas you can never do that on a drag strip, its 95% car.

So no, I dont think a timed lap is as much car as a top speed/drag run.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

skinthespin wrote:Mike, I think you need to get off your high horse, I have never trivialised anyones work, I think drag racing is dull and requires far less skill than driving quickly round a track, and thats just my opinion, and whats the thing with balls and top speed, you dont even get a sensation of speed at somewhere like Elvington, theres absolutely nothing to it.

The point I was making is TOTB is a car contest, not a driving/skill contest, where a well developed car will do well, which is fine if you want to test the car and the work you have done, but I don't think an MR2 will do that well against the 600bhp Skylines and ex WRC cars that will be there, and I do hope Mark and everyone all the very best and genuinely hope im wrong and that they show up a few people.

First off I don't even own a short horse let alone a high one :wink:

As for my comment regarding balls and top speed I stand by it. Once you get over 150mph I personally start to wonder whether this is the best way to be spending my time!? It's not so much the speed in truth as the thought of having to stop within what often seems to be a relatively short distance :-k

As for TOTB being nothing more than a car contest where driver input is irrelevant.....what planet are you from! #-o If you think that cars simply become easier to drive once the power goes up and so this means you'll win, your wrong. Power in the wrong hands will 9 times out of 10 be slower in pretty much any discipline, other than a top speed run.

As for the MR2 not being competitive, how come is that MR2's have placed 2nd in the rwd handling course out of any other jap car at TOTB for the last two years? Surely that being so they cant be all that bad? You have to remember that the cars are broken down into groups depending on what or how many wheels are driven.

Mikejc
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

Mikejc wrote:First off I don't even own a short horse let alone a high one :wink:

That's not what the photos show mate...

Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Oh bu88er I thought I had bought all of those pic's up #-o

Mikejc
jonno

Post by jonno »

I am dead keen on the GT Battle thing if were going to run a team next year.

I never did like the 1/4 much. I suspect its partly down to once being thrashed by a nearly new diesel golf GTI with a superchip and a million bhp worth of nos that dented my interest ... and partly because im not very good at it :(

The MR2 always does well at handling events, especially on a decent circuit. The TOTB handling circuit is really a sprint, which is fine, but its not half as much fun as banging in lap after lap on tarmac :)

Im really looking forward to this summer!

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well if we can get a team interested I'll happily make contact with the organisers!
T

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”