Another window problem...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mk1Chris

Another window problem...

Post by Mk1Chris »

PLease help me. [-o<

My passenger window has stopped going up. It has been struggling since i bought the car, but just as the april showers started, it got stuck half way down.

The switches on the drivers side and passenger side will both lower the window further, but neither will raise it up again.

For now i have removed the door card and undone the glass... it is now proped up in place by a block of wood. But obviously i need a permanent solution.
cartledge_uk

Re: Another window problem...

Post by cartledge_uk »

This is similar to what happened to mine.

Does the switch feel firm in both directions?

remove the passenger switch and then dismantle it completely, brush all the contacts and make sure that there is no melted plastic in the way.

inside the switch there are 2 copper slips that sit accross 4 copper contact (2 each) with the slip being seesawed across the 2. if the plastic housing melts at all, it fouls up the 4 contacts should be proud. so just clean the contacts and scape away any melted plactic

(wish i took pixcs of mine now #-o
RickXSi

Post by RickXSi »

Agree'd, looking like switch failure.

Exact same happened to me, and the passenger wasn't best happy doing 30 miles in -1 temps!

Actually - I was ratty about it too!
Martin Jay

Post by Martin Jay »

The same thing happened to me, even got a replacement passenger window motor.
After stripping both door cards out and measuring voltages and hearing the drivers relay clicking, I admitted defeat....until I was putting the passenger switch back in the door card and noticed the side of the switch was melted.
I took the switch apart and found the copper rails melted into the plastic.
I cut away the melted plastic and cleaned up the contacts.
Hey presto passenger window works for the first time in three years. \:D/
Previous owner never bothered to get it looked at and was told by "trained auto electricians" it was the motor at fault.
The switch works, but not sure for how long, will need to get a replacement.
Does anyone have any details of the modification that duplicates the relay of the drivers side window :-k Fitting/wiring instructions etc ????
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

This is a common problem, all you need to do is work the switch back & forth until it makes contact & the window rises & falls, its the damp in the air at this time of year which causes it as the passenger window gets little or no use. Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”