Getting a tubby chipped - worth doing?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rikki

Re: Getting a tubby chipped - worth doing?

Post by Rikki »

Im no expert on the Unichip or the PFC for that matter but I would say that a Unichip is spot on for the money. I dont see the point in buying something like a PFC that isnt tailored to the car in the first place. Using such an item with its "basic map" as is would be like running a car with a Superchip thats modem downloaded and burned onto an EPROM. No real point as it doesnt take into consideration the exact modifications on the car. The other good stuff with the Unichip is that since it leaves the stock ECU in place it retains the features such as knock detection, cold start/choke control, safe mode etc etc. The unichip also has things like launch control, full throttle gear changes and driver support for running water injection and progressive nitrous control. Not bad for the money.

R
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Rikki wrote:Im no expert on the Unichip or the PFC for that matter but I would say that a Unichip is spot on for the money. I dont see the point in buying something like a PFC that isnt tailored to the car in the first place. Using such an item with its "basic map" as is would be like running a car with a Superchip thats modem downloaded and burned onto an EPROM. No real point as it doesnt take into consideration the exact modifications on the car. The other good stuff with the Unichip is that since it leaves the stock ECU in place it retains the features such as knock detection, cold start/choke control, safe mode etc etc. The unichip also has things like launch control, full throttle gear changes and driver support for running water injection and progressive nitrous control. Not bad for the money.

R

What the hell are you on about !!!

The Apexi power FC is a full standalone ecu for gods sake! Yes it comes with a base map but this is only so that you can fit the ecu and use the car straight away, ie it's a basic map that allows you to use the car until you want to have it mapped properly!

Have yourself a proper read regarding the Power FC and the Unichip and you'll find that the PFC is far and away the better option not only because it can do everything and more compared to the Unichip but because it can be had for around the same money!

Apexi Power FC = Full standalone tuning (ie it's a complete replacement ecu)

Unichip = Piggy back tuning (ie it connects to original ecu)

So just to sum up for the last time...... the PFC is a fully reprogrammable ecu that allows you to alter all aspects of a cars tuning. It also via the hand held Commander allows you to tune the car, (if you know your onions!) and there after allows you to monitor such things as knock, rpm, boost, water temp, injector duty, air intake temp, ignition.....etc etc etc you get the picture. In short pretty much everything your engines up to it will tell you and allow you to make in car adjustments real time!

Show me a Unichip that can do this and i'll eat my hat !? lol ;)

Mikejc
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

I've read all the jazz on Nengun about it but unless I decide to stick massive injectors, massive turbo and other bits then there aint a real need (as others and DaveB have mentioned).

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/1 for those wanting to find out / buy one cheap.

R.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Fair enough mate it's your call.

But surely you can see the sense in buying something that will give you more power/ more efficient map even on a standard tubby, it will allow you to monitor important engine info, as well as allow you to go further with your tuning at a later date should you decide to, and given that it can be bought and mapped for around the same money as the Unichip............. Surely for the sweet love of god you can see that it is money wisely spent regardless of your spec simply because it does everything the unichip does a lot lot better, and that it can do things the unichip can't dream of doing, and that it costs the same as the lesser Unichip, then please please please tell me that you can see the sense in going for the apexi ?????

Mikejc
JJ

Post by JJ »

If theres nothing for your car out there available in terms of ECu remapping for refinement and power, then unichip is the way forward.

Unlike the Mr2 turbo... theres a boatload of aftermarket ecus which because of the competition out there, it drives the price of them down.. giving an excellence value for money.

Unichips a little awkward to setup as your jumping the stock ecu.. so you have to map the unichip along side the real time ecu too... where ignition moves about too against load ... so looking at it to doing the job correctly, it'll take longer to setup a unichip than a fully programmable ecu with base map.

IMO - unichip, put it in the bin !

The value and capabilities of the Power FC makes it silly to even considering going down the unichip route.

:eye:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Gaz6002

Post by Gaz6002 »

JJ wrote:

The value and capabilities of the Power FC makes it silly to even considering going down the unichip route.

^^^ Yeah that! ^^^
unichip completely screwed my cars fuelling, ripped it out and stuck an EBC in its place... all good again. And faster :) Power FC is the way forward if you are going to play with the ECU.
Modded Supra TT6
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Gaz6002 wrote:Power FC is the way forward if you are going to play with the ECU.

One word,

MoTeC. :twisted:
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
nisnos

Post by nisnos »

another word - MOOLAH!! :mrgreen:

but yes for the best MOTEC

Mark Edwards wrote:
Gaz6002 wrote:Power FC is the way forward if you are going to play with the ECU.

One word,

MoTeC. :twisted:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Gaz6002 wrote:
JJ wrote:

^^^ Yeah that! ^^^
unichip completely screwed my cars fuelling, ripped it out and stuck an EBC in its place... all good again. And faster :) Power FC is the way forward if you are going to play with the ECU.

It's only ever as good as the mapping. :roll: Mine's been running for 20k miles now on the Unichip. 1.2 bar with stock IC - 267 rwhp. Can't see the problem there myself.

Mind you, that was done at Owen Developments (who no longer support the Unichip, preferring to concentrate on the Motec :( ). Can't say what results you might get somewhere else though...
Gaz6002

Post by Gaz6002 »

well i got mine mapped by a well respected tuner (mentioning no names) and should have been fine. it wasn't.
Modded Supra TT6
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Gaz6002 wrote:well i got mine mapped by a well respected tuner (mentioning no names) and should have been fine. it wasn't.

I agree, Owen's did mine originally and it couldn't have been any worse if they'd tried. :evil:
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just to point out (cause from what I read no one has) the PFC is for rev 3 cars. So add to the £400 (cheap - usually around £600) for the PFC and comander the price of a rev3 conversion.
Then consider not every one can fit things themselves, nor map them.

So for example (talking new UK prices here)
Unichip with boost module, fitted and mapped while you wait - £611

Apexi PFC £599
Additional parts to upgrade to rev3 set up - £150?
Labour for fitting (if it's simple) say £50 ?
Then a min of 1 hour mapping time £70

So thats £869 vs £611
Without the boost module the Unichip is about £470

AND - Carl aka Galvanics tubby is 386fwp with a unichip set up so who ever said it "can't" be used for good power cars is wrong.

I know he's now moving on from the unichip but that sort of power is enough for the majority of people using them.
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

oBladeo wrote:I got a blitz access computer

Me too, and I've been looking for info on it for ages!

Like the removal of the rev limit! :mrgreen:
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Apexi PFC £599.

bit steep :shock: - more like £450 - well that's what i paid for controller AND pfc ecu

brand new from Japan. - ok i got lucky with the tax but it's still not that much.
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Thats a bit pot luck though, I'm sure any of the traders on here would highlight the risk involved with that.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

matt_mr2t wrote:Thats a bit pot luck though, I'm sure any of the traders on here would highlight the risk involved with that.

I'm sure they would - they are not gonna say anything else are they - they want you to buy it from them !
(they have to pay import duty as they are buying them as a company and more likely in bulk).

Private individual there's no risk as such... you either get unlucky and asked topay import duty before they release the goods for delivery or get lucky and do not.
from date of order to delivery for £450 it took 7 working days for me.

Horses for courses - if you need it sooner, of don;t want to leave it to luck regarding inport duty - pay a UK trader the UK price and it includes the taxes (as they have already paid them in their costings)..

Is the unichip able to monitor and display all these for the driver ?:
knock, rpm, boost, water temp, injector duty, air intake temp, ignition etc etc

also mapping should be cheaper for the PFC over a Unichip as JJ has already mentioned.
Last edited by CosmosblueMR2 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'd have thought Rolling Road time costs what it costs, I doubt they'd charge you more for an hour mapping a Unichip over an hour mapping a PFC.

Having a display showing rpms, boost etc is a bit pointless, you should have a boost gauge already, you have RPM on the dash (not totally accurate I know)

Be nice to monitor knock, but then thats the point of having a knock sensor...
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

matt_mr2t wrote:I'd have thought Rolling Road time costs what it costs, I doubt they'd charge you more for an hour mapping a Unichip over an hour mapping a PFC.

it takes less time to map a PFC mate - that's the cost saving right there
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You still get charged an hour at most places, they wont pro rata it.
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

matt_mr2t wrote:You still get charged an hour at most places, they wont pro rata it.

I'm not saying that.. but if it takes 1.5 hours to map the PFC and 3.5 to do the unichip, do you see my point ?

Return to “Modifications”