I don't do night time driving (alternater wouldn't let me)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

L8ERS

I don't do night time driving (alternater wouldn't let me)

Post by L8ERS »

Don't know how to sort the alternator. Could be loose nut (on pully)? If this is causing the trouble how to I sort it or are there any good garages in Birmingham open on Sunday to sort it - need the car for work moday!

Also with the thermosat - can this be removed safely and run the car with out it? Was following a BMW 840 CL /CI real old nice looking car, all was well until we hit some traffic - road works. When crawling the coolant begain to overheat. Topped up with water and left it to stand for a bit then it returned to normal. Recovery mechanic who took me home (re; alternater not charging battery) told me it should be fine (would have constant water pressure, just take longer to heat up). If this is so where can i find new gaskets from?
Touge_AW11

Re: I don't do night time driving (alternater wouldn't let me)

Post by Touge_AW11 »

For the alternator, it generally tends to be the bearings seizing, as water can drip directly onto it. I currently have the same problem, and Im trying to source a new one.
L8ERS

Post by L8ERS »

So does ur 2 work now or is it off the road? Are they (alt's) easy to get hold off?
Touge_AW11

Post by Touge_AW11 »

Oh no she works, although the drive belt screeches in the lower revs, especially between 1st and 2nd, and when downshifting from 4th to 3rd in the higher revs.

When I had to replace it the first time, the engine wouldnt even start, as the pulley on the alternator didnt move at all, causing so much friction the engine couldnt fucntion. :mrgreen:

Theyre fairly easy to get hold of, your best bet is to look for a MK1 thats breaking, and buy a used one. I got one from a great lad on here for just over £20. =D>
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Have a word with crazylegs on this forum, he's always got a few Mk1s around. I picked mine up indirectly through him at a good rate, works much better than my original!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”