Getting a tubby chipped - worth doing?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr Grrr

Getting a tubby chipped - worth doing?

Post by Mr Grrr »

Mr mk2 2 turbo is running standard except induction and downpipe, will i see any power gain from getting it chipped? What does it do to your miles per gallon?

Im hoping to get my 0-60 more respectable before the summer, i cant drive the thing quickly round corners so need to make up for it on the straights.
matt_mr2t

Re: Getting a tubby chipped - worth doing?

Post by matt_mr2t »

"Chipped" no.
At least a piggy back ecu - yes.
Unichip's your best bet but it's no £200 plug in.
Gaz6002

Post by Gaz6002 »

unichip :shock: nooooooooooo
Modded Supra TT6
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Just get a grainger valve and boost gauge to monitor boost. Increase your boost then you will see more power. :wink:
Mr Grrr

Post by Mr Grrr »

what does a unichip do?

Iv ordered my boost gauge already and i suppose uping the boost is top of the list, although i want to concentrate on getting as much power as possible without forcing the engine too much to start with i.e exhaust, induction kit. Iv heard oil catch cans can help and i was hoping getting it chipped was a cheap but effective mod.

If i up the boost to say 14psi, will the engine handle the power? do i need to do other mods first?
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

A Unichip alters the fuel and timing maps on the stock ECU by changing the signal that goes to the ECU. Tends to give a bit more top end power, but where they really shine is by sorting out any dips in the torque curve, which gives you quite a lot more usable power through the rev range.

A major plus point on modified turbo's is that it makes a big difference to fuel economy. My first Rev1 Turbo @ 15psi was getting 18mpg.... I had a Unichip fitted and it gave me about 26mpg. Paid for itself in a year !!!

Just make sure you get it fitted somewhere decent.

Cheers,
Jon
EarL

Post by EarL »

If you're on a tight budget, then the grainger valve and boost guage cannot be beat £ for £. You'll get a realistic 35-40 bhp increase from spending around £50. Probably the biggest single increase in power for the very least outlay.

Set the grainger at 15psi (safe limit for a Rev 1/2) and go buy some nappies (for when you xxxx yourself the first time you put your foot down :wink: ).

If you worried about MPG, then a tubby probably isn't going to be your cup of tea. Used in anger, a well modded MR2 Turbo will see a tank of gas off in under 130-50 miles.

Happy days.

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Just me but im sticking with my standard ecu till my mods dictate i need a standalone.

No unichip, safc, emanage etc... for me! [-(
MR2 GT-S Rev3 Red Trackcar
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

I only went for the Unichip after I'd completed a few mods to the car. I got a new exhaust system, decat/downpipe etc before getting the Unichip and as has been pointed out it took care of the "holes" across the rev range so good power was delivered across the board with more top end too.

R.
adam maclean

unichip

Post by adam maclean »

How much roughly is a unichip to buyand set up correctly?
Mikejc

Re: unichip

Post by Mikejc »

adam maclean wrote:How much roughly is a unichip to buyand set up correctly?

You can pick up an Apexi Power FC for a little more money than a Unichip these days! My money would go towards a full standalone unit every time given the amount of gains to be had. Plus this will take care of any future plans too.

Mikejc
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

Not entirely sure, ive got the invoice in the spare room but it was 2 years ago I got mine fitted so cant remember off the top of my head. Best to give Dastek a call and they'll fill you in on the details. 0845 345 4045.

The other lad mentioned about getting a PowerFC but from what I can gather thats a bit of overkill and to buy the unit and pay someone to install it then have it mapped will cost a pretty penny!

R.
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

I got a blitz access computer off ebay for £200 and it's plug and play so that could be the way to go for you

stole this off http://www.mudd90.freeserve.co.uk/produ ... grades.htm

The Blitz Access computer does not rely on fooling the ecu with external clamping circuits or making sensors read differently, it properly re-programs the factory limits, and all the fuelling is adjusted accordingly. The Blitz Access computers are so technically advanced, they can even be purchased with maps for larger injectors, a unique service!

The Boost limits are raised, the speed limits are removed, the rev-limiters are raised, the timing maps optimized, and the fuelling maps are adjusted to cope with higher boost.

If it's serious power that you're after, then the Blitz Access ECU is the way to do it properly. The units are supplied on an exchange basis, and come with a custom pressed larger casing to take the additional electronics. The Blitz attention to detail will ensure that after fitting an Access ECU to your car, it will drive as smoothly as standard, but when you floor the throttle there will be a vast difference.

Last edited by oBladeo on Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Rikki wrote:

Not entirely sure, ive got the invoice in the spare room but it was 2 years ago I got mine fitted so cant remember off the top of my head. Best to give Dastek a call and they'll fill you in on the details. 0845 345 4045.

The other lad mentioned about getting a PowerFC but from what I can gather thats a bit of overkill and to buy the unit and pay someone to install it then have it mapped will cost a pretty penny!

R.

Not so mate.

You can buy the PFC for as little as £450 now and given that it comes with a decent base map and is also a simple plug and play device you could be up and running in 30 mins! As for it being an over kill, nonsense ! :wink: If you consider just how much extra tuning potential you'll have for the little extra cash invested you would be made to buy the unichip over the PFC imho :)

If memory serves the Unichip is around the £400 mark once it's been fitted? I know where i'd put my money, in point of fact, I know where I did put my money lol

Mikejc
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Tubby setup for the unichip will run you around 500 notes which includes the dyno time and setup.

Scott =op
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Scotster wrote:Tubby setup for the unichip will run you around 500 notes which includes the dyno time and setup.

Scott =op

That being the case, Given that the PFC will set you back around £600 fully mapped it would surely make more sense to go for a full standalone over the limited piggy back that is the Unichip!? :?

Mikejc
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Heads up !!!

Their just so happens to be a PFC with Commander going for £410 all in. You can find it in the For Sale section being sold by Nightspirit :wink:

Mikejc
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Mikejc wrote:Heads up !!!

Their just so happens to be a PFC with Commander going for £410 all in. You can find it in the For Sale section being sold by Nightspirit :wink:

Mikejc

But how much on top of that will it be tp setup and map? That £400 price you mention for the Unichip is not far off the cost of the device itself, installation and mapping.

I agree a standalone is the way to go for big power, hybrids and significant fuelling changes; but that's not to say the unichip isn't worth the money.... you can pick them up for £100! Add a couple of hundred for mapping and away you go! I'd hazard a guess that in real terms it's about half the cost of something like the Apexi.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

The power FC is a simple plug and play, ie it comes with a pretty good base map that can be used from the off. Fitting the Power FC takes no more than 30 mins as it's plug and play so no effort there either. Mapping will set you back £70.00 per hour plus vat.

So as you can see, you would be fully mapped and ready to go if you budget around the £600.00 mark all in which would even leave you with a few £ to enjoy your new found power on the open road :D

As for being an over kill, I have to say no of course not. I'm not saying the the Unichip is no good, no not at all, but is it as good as the PFC, no of course not. A piggy back is not going to have all of the benifits of a full standalone.

I'm also willing to bet that like for like the PFC will yield more power even out of a standard car over the Unichip!

And last but not least.... it has been my observation that those of us with Tubbys seldom seem to reach a point were we feel done with the cars and as such we keep moving ever forward in search of yet more power and or reliability. Now this being the case, would it not make more sense to spend slightly more money for a product that will not only does a better job now, but also future proofs further development down the line!?

Mikejc
addisj

Post by addisj »

Scotster wrote:Tubby setup for the unichip will run you around 500 notes which includes the dyno time and setup.

Scott =op

Yeah spot on!

Millway charge 500 quid for Uni chip + setup/mapping. Best thing you could do to your modded tubby. Im saving for this very thing cant wait.

Heard reliably with Ind. Kit. Boost Controller, decat & stainless or aftermarket (good quality) exhaust, could see 300 BHP, for a REV3 :twisted: :twisted:

This is my aim for the summer.

Return to “Modifications”