[Mk2 NA] Looking to buy a performance exhaust system - advic

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fermanagh

[Mk2 NA] Looking to buy a performance exhaust system - advic

Post by fermanagh »

Guys,

Just got paid this month and want to get myself an early xmas present so i've decided on a new exhaust system for the old MR2...hopefully can find a decent one second hand...

I fitted an induction kit last month - nice when you have the high revs but was expecting more noise to tell you the truth...lol...which is why i want a big exhaust!

I've been told that mongoose is the best - twin tail pipes or just one double?
What about the noise level - i'm looking for one that will give me a nice sporty tone, not too loud but not too quiet either ;o)

Any advice much appreciated - thanks!

Damian

1992 non-turbo MR2 import
Goldy

Re: [Mk2 NA] Looking to buy a performance exhaust system - advic

Post by Goldy »

Mongoose or blueflame is the way forward, and will fill your critera exactly! Most people say they can be a bit boomy on the motorway but I guess thats the price you pay!

You may find a decent second hand one on ebay if you keep your eyes peeled... You can pick up a mongoose system for around £300 new and the blueflame system is slightly less if you buy from the factory its about £270ish

If you are going for the exhaust you may as well get the decat as well... you should see a few extra horses with the decat and zorst! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
fermanagh

Post by fermanagh »

Thanks alot for the info...i've seen an apexi N1 on here for sale. are they any good?

And what about these bolt on mufflers you can weld on? Are they any good or just crap?

Here's a link to one so you know what i'm on about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-B9-A ... dZViewItem
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Apexi N1 = good just make sure it'll fit your car! The turbo exhausts wont fit an n/a well not easily anyway as the pipework is usually larger.

The universal exhausts aren't such a good idea i've heard the build and sound on some of them isn't so great, and ontop of that they arent just bolt on! You will have to factor the costs in getting someone to fabricate brackets and pipework, it all adds up to the same money as a decent second hand system, which would be better in the long run!
ImageImage
pete h

Post by pete h »

www.powerflowexhausts.net/HOME.CFM

How about a custom made jobbie from power flow, they can do what ever you want and change the sound of the exhaust note to your liking.

Something to look into.

HTH :D
The-Shield

Post by The-Shield »

How about a custom made jobbie from power flow, they can do what ever you want and change the sound of the exhaust note to your liking.

I recently got a powerflow custom made for my 2. I will get some pics and possibly some sound clips so you can see (Hear) what its like.
fermanagh

Post by fermanagh »

Guys,

I'm thinking of going for this mongoose twin exit 3" system...here's the link, tell me what you think!

http://www.dcdezign.com/details.asp?ite ... MR2+Tys002
Leon.

Re: [Mk2 NA] Looking to buy a performance exhaust system - a

Post by Leon. »

fermanagh wrote:Guys,

Just got paid this month and want to get myself an early xmas present so i've decided on a new exhaust system for the old MR2...hopefully can find a decent one second hand...

I fitted an induction kit last month - nice when you have the high revs but was expecting more noise to tell you the truth...lol...which is why i want a big exhaust!

I've been told that mongoose is the best - twin tail pipes or just one double?
What about the noise level - i'm looking for one that will give me a nice sporty tone, not too loud but not too quiet either ;o)

Any advice much appreciated - thanks!

Damian

1992 non-turbo MR2 import

The Mongoose is tried and tested for the MR2, a safe bet and good performing zorst.

If you're worried about noise levels at low revs, get a custom one made as has already been said. Don't know much about Powerflow but Blueflame make the Mongoose so would make you a great custom zorst - they can do any size, any sound - low sound at low revs, screaming orgasm/deep rumble at high revs :wink:

Out of interest, what air filter do you now have. The K&N I had on my old NA was the nuts, a fabulous sound, I really miss it!

HTH

:D
fermanagh

Post by fermanagh »

Hi,

The airfilter i installed was a custom made one...it's a cone shaped filter

I got it from this guy on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-mk2-N-A-air-i ... dZViewItem

It really kicks in on the high revs - nice deep sound ;o)
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

Leeroy wrote: Blueflame make the Mongoose

Untrue dude. Blueflame used to make the mongoose, but mongoose had some "quality issues" with them, and the havent made them for some time. Infact mongoose have recently release an even better quality version of the TYS002 which we now have in stock, which have superior contstruction and build quality.

Dan
www.DCDezign.com
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Dan_DCDezign wrote:
Leeroy wrote: Blueflame make the Mongoose

Untrue dude. Blueflame used to make the mongoose, but mongoose had some "quality issues" with them, and the havent made them for some time. Infact mongoose have recently release an even better quality version of the TYS002 which we now have in stock, which have superior contstruction and build quality.

Dan
www.DCDezign.com

Thanks for filling me in. Do you know who makes the current Mongoose then? Spill the beans :wink:
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

A closly guarded secret, but they certainly Very good!!

Dan
www.DCDezign.com
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Dan_DCDezign wrote:A closly guarded secret, but they certainly Very good!!

Dan
www.DCDezign.com

Any chance of a pm for it? Only I want to get a custom exhaust and was gona go to Blueflame...... :?
Urban

Post by Urban »

fermanagh wrote:Hi,

The airfilter i installed was a custom made one...it's a cone shaped filter

I got it from this guy on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-mk2-N-A-air-i ... dZViewItem

It really kicks in on the high revs - nice deep sound ;o)

I've got the same induction kit on mine, and have a custom exhaust system from longlife exhausts. The sound is awesome :D
paul clayton

fit the best

Post by paul clayton »

Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

[quote="Leeroy
Any chance of a pm for it? Only I want to get a custom exhaust and was gona go to Blueflame...... :?[/quote]

Fraid not mate.

As I said, mongoose are better than Blueflame, no question, and very little in the price, so personally, it would be a no brainer.

Custom exhausts are good if you have a very particular look in mind, but they are no comparisom when it comes to performance increases. With just a K&N and a Mongoose, we have had customers rolling road with a 15bhp increase! I would be VERY supprised to see anything like that from a custom made.

There is a reason why extensive R+D go into making performance exhausts, it aint just a case of bending some pipes to fit if you want performance increases.

Dan
www.DCDezign.com
Urban

Post by Urban »

I've got a mandrel bent, full custom system, including de-cat, and I saw just over 15bhp increase from the exhaust alone. I haven't had it RR'd with the induction kit on yet, but i imagine there will be a small increase again.

I went for a couple of 4.5" slash cut exits with the "flame burnt" look on them. Really happy with the look, sound and quality of the system. Not to mention how unrestricted my car felt after!
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

There will always be exceptions, but that isn't the norm. Don't forget also the increase is also protional to the condition of the old exhaust when you had you initital RR. If yours is a 1990, chances are it was fairly worn, so you would have seen an increase, even if you fitted an OEM exhaust.

Dan
Urban

Post by Urban »

Sorry, i wasn't clear.

Thats an increase of 15bhp over the car's standard power (167bhp) from the exhaust.

I wish I had it RR'd before the new exhaust system but I just wanted to get it on there!

Return to “Modifications”