Help buying a Beauty Of Tubbyness

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

axisofunity

Re: Help buying a Beauty Of Tubbyness

Post by axisofunity »

Just something to point out here;

If you 'save and save every penny' and buy a 4k or 5k car, you will get bills in the first year. No car is exempt from it.

So make sure you leave some cash for these repairs;

I think it'd be very very rare to find a car that didn't have one or more of the following:

1) Need new tyres
2) Need fluid changes (Or you want them for peace of mind)
3) Need new pads
4) Clutch at some point in the year
5) Sparks, and other service parts
6) Tax, Insurance and MOT!
7) ARBs, Droplinks, bushes etc.

Of course not all things will happen, you might be lucky. But these cars are up to 16 years old! Things do go wrong and things will go wrong, no matter how carefully you drive them :)

Of course if you drive carefully, choose it carefully and keep it carefully you should be ok :)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Importers can find very nice examples although they won't be cheap. IMO your best bet is a private sale of one that's already in the country, and be prepared to look/travel for a while to find the car you want for your budget. I live in the SE and had to travel to Manchester for mine, twice.

Also be careful with your money situation too, I assume you've budgeted for insurance which may be expensive depending on your age? And be aware that things can go wrong with these cars, and can be expensive. Not trying to put a dampner on things just don't want you to put every single penny you've got into the purchase and then have to sell when something goes wrong. A stock, pretty much un-modded car would be the best way for you to go at this stage to avoid any unnecessary mishaps. Once you've got the car you can do what you like to it as and when you have the money, if that's what you decide to do.

HTH

:)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Axisofunity beat me to it :lol:

We're singing from the same hymn sheet on this one, allbeit your's was slightly more detailed, and pretty accurate I'd say..... good work :wink:

:D
philz

Post by philz »

axisofunity wrote:I think it'd be very very rare to find a car that didn't have one or more of the following:

1) Need new tyres
2) Need fluid changes (Or you want them for peace of mind)
3) Need new pads
4) Clutch at some point in the year
5) Sparks, and other service parts
6) Tax, Insurance and MOT!
7) ARBs, Droplinks, bushes etc.

Check my post above and you've found one :)

It's got new tyres, had all the fluids changed (inc Forlife and air con gas), pads are perfect (as are disks), clutch isn't slipping or anything, spark plugs (Blitz Iridium) have done 3k (same for rotor arm and dizzy cap too), MOT is 12 months, bushes are 6 month old High and Tight polyurethane ones and balljoints etc are brand new too.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Thanks people for all the replys if i get any nice cars in your areas i will let you all know lol might end up with like 5 people going to look at a car. He he.

Ducatichick. That is one mighty fine mr2 you have there. I'm assuming you own a ducati to what model ?.
de_niro69

Post by de_niro69 »

if you want a import,
[edited by admin]

hope this helps

Mr.deniro
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ok ok... I have googled over the pics of philz car if it is anywhere near as amazing as it looks i will certainly be robbing a bank or my father to purchase that beauty. it is the most stunning mr2 ever. So will let people know if i wanna look at other cars but i will be looking at philz when he comes to sell it.
philz

Post by philz »

Draven wrote:Ok ok... I have googled over the pics of philz car if it is anywhere near as amazing as it looks i will certainly be robbing a bank or my father to purchase that beauty. it is the most stunning mr2 ever. So will let people know if i wanna look at other cars but i will be looking at philz when he comes to sell it.

Very kind of you to say so. It might not have the engine mods that a lot of cars on here do but it's a genuinely mint condition car. There's £9k worth of other top quality mods on there (see my website for details) which would be an excellent base for a powerful engine if desired (it's 260BHP at the moment so not too slow, but not a fire breathing monster like some on here!)

I'm sure there's quite a few members on here that have seen it in the flesh who'd vouch for it.

Anyway, it'll go up for sale in mid March when I get back from skiing so I'll give you a shout then if you're interested.

Steve
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah if you can i'm not sure i will have that kinda money by then. But ebay will be my home now everything that isn't bolted down will go lol...
Draven

Post by Draven »

Right people i'm going to look at Gav's car.. Its in the for sale section. So which lucky person would like to look at it with me. :D

Don't all rush at once.....
philz

Post by philz »

Might be best if you post a link to it so people can see where it's located.
Draven

Post by Draven »

This is my first mr2 so i'm being really careful. This is a bit below my budget but it looks very clean.

And Gav seems a really decent guy

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30211.

So people [-o< let me know....

(philz i really love your car and in a dream i would buy it but budget is not quite high enough )
:-k

So what peeps think ?
philz

Post by philz »

Sounds to me like it's a good 'un.
The car has been my pride and joy for the last 2 and a half years and has been garaged and impeccably maintained since I've owned it.

I actually spent 6 months searching for the perfect car after looking at around 13 different cars throughout the country. In the end I bought this one from Norwich!

If I was looking to buy I'd certainly be looking for something like that, sounds like he's taken the time to find a good one and kept it maintained well. It's a bit too far away for me to view with you but I'm sure somebody else in the area will come with you if you ask nicely :)
philz

Post by philz »

Just a quick question, have you had any insurance quotes on a tubby yet? If not I'd recommend it as there's no point getting excited about getting one if the insurance company quotes you something silly.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah i know it does seem like a really nice car and Gav is extreemly helpful. I'm hoping that someone will come with me

PLLLLEASE people theres a pint in it for ya.

Wooo hooo just got off the phone to me dad he giving me some money. so i now have a choice :shock: grrr my budget just got a sharp injection to 6K so i don't know what to do. I'm gunna go and look at gav's cus it looks damn fine i have lots of pics he sent me.....

I want your car philz :(
Draven

Post by Draven »

Yeah i have had insurance quotes.

i'm only 21 but i have never had an accident and have 4 years NCB i have had a few quotes at around

800 - 900 mark so its ok i can afford that.

:D
Draven

Post by Draven »

2 months i'm 22.. :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”