Trust/Greddy intercooler difference?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbo Dragon

Trust/Greddy intercooler difference?

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Can anyone shed any light on the difference between Greddy Intercooler and a Trust unit?

They seem to be pretty similar and around the same money (Trust actually slightly cheaper) but has anyone used one and got an opinion on which to go for?

Appreciate any advice....
THE DUKE

Re: Trust/Greddy intercooler difference?

Post by THE DUKE »

They are the same!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

THE DUKE wrote:They are the same!

pmsl,

yeh mate, there the same thing....
trust=greddy
greddy=trust
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

As im lead to beleive one is japanese the other is american.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

products are the same tho.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

What like Honda and Accura?
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

Thats what im told... Think trust is the Jap version and Greddy is the US
Turbo Dragon

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Lets play spot the muppet!

:D :D

ME! Jus been looking through both sites and the pat numbers are identical for both Trust and Greddy, just ordered the Trust from Oz. Even that guy couldnt explain the difference, those crazy Japanese!

Oh well thanks for the help guys, makes the morning so much more interesting!
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

did you look at the Berk intercooler. Slightly better performance but only £350.
Turbo Dragon

Post by Turbo Dragon »

Yeah iv seen the Berk one, but the previous posts iv read said it was untested at the moment and people were a bit dubious about the figures...

So think im jus playin it safe, dont matter coz iv got the Treddy/Grust :?: on order now!

But thanks for the replies and opinions, all very interesting
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How much if you dont mind me asking?
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

turbo dragon,

Just PM'd you with some details. For the rest of you here is a link with the test results of this unit

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... ntercooler
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tubby_tony wrote:turbo dragon,

Just PM'd you with some details. For the rest of you here is a link with the test results of this unit

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... ntercooler

YES, BUT RESULTS BY THE PEEPS SELLING THEM!!!
course there not gona test them and then say, its produces less power.
until there is an independant test done properly, then its hard to believe the figures....
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Seems to me like the dudes not trying to claim it's better but just saying for less money you get more or less the same performance.
I think it's great that people are trying to make intercooler options better. At the moment we're so limited that we're forced to pay way way over the top prices.
Friend of mine is worried about spending £400 on his 200sx cause it's one the higher spec ones lol.
£400 is well cheap in our world.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

/\
|
|
yeh i get that, same for less money...
but in the end you do get what you pay for.
just my 2psi...
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

"did you look at the Berk intercooler. Slightly better performance but only £350. "

That still not been proven yet, and personally i'm not buying the 20bhp increase from just a core change of the same size, Exspeically seeing intercoolers fall on there ar$e on a dyno anyway, lot of extra power from not alot of changes

Just my opinion, i want to see hard facts done on the road first before we all rush out and buy one. I've seen greddy/trust intercoolers handle 550rwhp on large gt35 turbo's proving the flow is there, but we've only seen these against almost standard cars. Could be another Pace CC for all we know.

Tim
xxxx
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

Curious as to how it has not been proven when they have used the same car, same pipes, same strappings to the same rolling road and only changed the intercooler core which was a direct swap between the Berk and the Greddy. That sounds pretty damn well tested to me.
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

it just sounds to much of a gain.

They reported a 12rwhp gain so around 20bhp from just swapping the core, on an almost standard car. 20bhp increase gain on a standard car is quite alot.

My main problem with the testing is that its done on a dyno with very little air flow which makes intercoolers prietty much usless, Most large dyno fans produce a 70mph air flow, where dyno runs are taken place at the 1:1 gear ratio which is around 4th on our cars. Top of 4th results in around 130mph and with a 70mph airflow the numbers don't match up and result in heat soak, this is why intercoolers preform much better on the road and underperform on a dyno. Also remember those 70mph fan are the very large units placed at the front of the car, its impractiable to move those to the side so that air flow is going to be at best overestermated for intercooler flow. So now we've established that the air flow just wasn't present for these tests it seems thta the 20bhp increase was even less likely.

Also remember these new intercoolers are using a bar and plate design which is usually less effcient than the tube and fin versions offered by many japanese tuning companies, like the greddy.

This is where the high flow tests would show up any problems with the new core, ok having low down cooling but you also don't want a bottleneck at top end restricting power, thats what i ment when i said about we don't want another Pace Chargecooler as this suffered the same problem

Soon as we get some proven testing on this subject and if proven successful i'll be stocking some, until then i'm sticking with the tried and test greddy units and they work everytime and are a good piece of kit.

Just my opinion

Tim
xxxx
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

tubby_tony wrote:Curious as to how it has not been proven when they have used the same car, same pipes, same strappings to the same rolling road and only changed the intercooler core which was a direct swap between the Berk and the Greddy. That sounds pretty damn well tested to me.

yes mate, but who carried out these tests???
the place bleeding selling them....
ryan

Post by ryan »

Was the Berk unit and the GReddy unit tested using the same std fan from the mk2 turbo?

Return to “Modifications”