pin plug

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveaddy

pin plug

Post by steveaddy »

hi can anyone help asap,i had trouble with my alternator so i have removed it,but ive just checked the 3-pin plug that goes into the alternator and it only gives a reading of power from two of the pins?should they all have a power reading?i am thinking now it might be the plug at fault?the alternator wasnt fitted that long ago.any advice would be great
thanks steve
steveaddy

Re: pin plug

Post by steveaddy »

can anyone help?
screech205

Post by screech205 »

yes mate they should all be 12v +. I had exactly the same problem with my car.

Which pin is down? If it's the middle one then try bridging it with scotch connectors and a bit of wire to the fusebox in the engine bay. Use a meter and do a continuity test to find the wire IIRC it's on the far block if you stand at the gearbox side and it's either entirely yellow or black and yellow (check on your plug).

Where abouts are you? If you want you can pop over and i'll have a look for you i'm only down the road :wink:

cheers

steve
steveaddy

Post by steveaddy »

hi well i think it was black the wire?the other two wires looked yellow.its been off the road for about two month now cos of this i only changed alternator about 5 month ago,we have got the alternator off now should have checked this wires before taking it off but to late now oh well.i live in beighton,but i going on holiday tomorow so unless my dad carries on the work ill do it when i get back.thanks for the offer it good of you.
thanks steve

Return to “Electrical”