water and oil in the spark plugs

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GJUK

water and oil in the spark plugs

Post by GJUK »

hi all,

I have a mk1 mr2 and i have a small problem,

over the last few days ive noticed a collection of water and oil in the spark plug area - you can see it when you take off the HT leads...

the car is running very poorly, and seems to have no power.

any ideas what it could be please?

Cheers

Jon
DeusMR2

Re: water and oil in the spark plugs

Post by DeusMR2 »

loose rocker cover? Dunno about the mk1 but the mk2 cover is held in with cross head screws which loosen alot over time.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

too right they loosen. I've seen multiple engines where they aren't even finger tight :shock:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

Yeah replaced mine with the allen key head ones from twosrus yesterday. I could undo 5 of the cross heads by hand! :shock:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

GJUK wrote:hi all,

I have a mk1 mr2 and i have a small problem,

over the last few days ive noticed a collection of water and oil in the spark plug area - you can see it when you take off the HT leads...

the car is running very poorly, and seems to have no power.

any ideas what it could be please?

Cheers

Jon

You might have leaky cam covers - the seals do go over time, you also might have i'll fitting spark plug leads - these can also leak, replacements can be had from Toyota or there are probably blue-print parts out there for less.

To help you solve the 'loss of power' though, we'll need a little more information - is the TVIS opening at 4.5k rpm - you should have a noticiable kick as it gets going? Does it idle ok? Is there mayo under the oil filler? When were the spark plugs last changed? Has it ever run right? etc etc.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

You might have leaky cam covers - the seals do go over time, you also might have i'll fitting spark plug leads - these can also leak, replacements can be had from Toyota or there are probably blue-print parts out there for less.

To help you solve the 'loss of power' though, we'll need a little more information - is the TVIS opening at 4.5k rpm - you should have a noticiable kick as it gets going? Does it idle ok? Is there mayo under the oil filler? When were the spark plugs last changed? Has it ever run right? etc etc.

Thanks for the posts guys :)

I bought the car about 2 months ago, and drove home with no problems at all, really pulled like a trooper, no miss fire or any problems.

stopped for petrol and popped in £20 of unleaded and drove on, about 10 mins later it started stuttering a bit when you put your foot down...

this has developed to the point of where you dont have any power to pull away any more :(. you have to rev to 3.5k jsut to get the car moved out ot the garage.

during hard throttle engagment the car stutters.

during gradual acceloration the car seems ok but still feels gutless.

there is no cream on the oil cap to speak of, although toyota (who have looked at the car) have said its a head gasket that needs doing. Im not convinced.

How can a car that was running SPOT ON turn to a poor thing it is now in 200 miles :(

please help guys!

Thanks

Jon
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

there is no cream on the oil cap to speak of, although toyota (who have looked at the car) have said its a head gasket that needs doing. Im not convinced.

How do they know? did they do a sniff or compression test on the engine? Are you using oil / coolant?
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

no they just looked over the car as far as i know...

Jon
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

Ok guys,

im thinking of spending a day looking at the car tomorrow.

are there any gaskets that i need to replace if it turns out the head has worked lose please?

Cheers

Jon
Terry

Post by Terry »

stopped for petrol and popped in £20 of unleaded and drove on, about 10 mins later it started stuttering a bit when you put your foot down...

Silly question, you did put petrol in and not diesel? #-o
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

yeh i did :D

anyone know the gasket answer please?

Cheers

Jon
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

I've had the exact same problem on two different cars on and off, from the same petrol station!! Since I stopped using that station haven't had a problem since.

Just seems more than coincidence that you had this running problem after filling up..

HTH
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

chrisE wrote:I've had the exact same problem on two different cars on and off, from the same petrol station!! Since I stopped using that station haven't had a problem since.

Just seems more than coincidence that you had this running problem after filling up..

HTH

Hmmm you might be right.

is it worth me leaving the car running to get rid of the tank of fuel in it? It idles ok...

Well, anyway i spent a good day on the car:

Took off the rocker covers.
cleaned them all up, got rid of the water and oil round the spark plugs,
cleaned the spark plugs.
checked the dizzy - cleaned with wd40
checked the hd leads

and all the leads in the car seem to be where they should be

Now, once interesting thing is that before we got the car, the lady had spent £80 getting it valeted, which included an engine bay jet down...

the muppets used plastic bin bags to cover the electrical devices however they flipping left them on the car so when we bought it the bin bags were melted onto the car!

anyway they all came off, but i wonder if the jet wash has shorted something? ecu maybe?

would an ecu reset be worth doing do you recon, or maybe is there something i can try?

:( getting a bit stuck here now :(

thanks for your help

Jon
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

any ideas anyone please?

regards

Jon
daz364

Post by daz364 »

if you got water in ya oil it could mean you head gasket has gone is it using water if so is your oil cap milky you said it had no power another sign
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

daz364 wrote:if you got water in ya oil it could mean you head gasket has gone is it using water if so is your oil cap milky you said it had no power another sign

no there is no milky residue in the oil cap.

anyone in the area fancy a few quid to some and have a look at it?

Cheers

Jon
GJUK

Post by GJUK »

any more ideas anyone please?

Jon

Return to “Mechanical”