FAO, PAUL WOODS, JJ OR ANYONE WHO REALLY KNOWS MK1's, PLEASE

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

FAO, PAUL WOODS, JJ OR ANYONE WHO REALLY KNOWS MK1's, PLEASE

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ok Guys here goes, Kev Crane and myself have an early MK1 with a problem, we have changed ECU's, ENGINE WIRING LOOM, THROTTLE BODY,& TPS SENSOR, but to no avail, when we short out T & E1 with the ingnition switch on only, we get 1 flash on the dash i.e normal, when we start the car WITHOUT touching the throttle we get a fault code 11 flashing on the dash, this causes the timing to advance/retard making the car run awful, we have even adjusted the TPS using the BGB, feeler gauges and a meter with everything reading as it should, we even checked this on my own car, with engine running and diagnostics shorted out = code 1 hold the throttle open = code 11, return to idle = code 1. Our other car will only return to code 1 if we pull the AM2 fuse to reset the ECU even without the throttle being touched ?????, anyone have any idea's as this is driving us really barmy and men in white suits are not far off i fear, cheers, Jinxy[/u]
Tony jinxy froude

Re: FAO, PAUL WOODS, JJ OR ANYONE WHO REALLY KNOWS MK1's, PLEASE

I thought this one would sort the men from the boys !!! :lol: :lol: , Jinxy
Terry

Post by Terry »

Does the car have AC?
Tony jinxy froude

No air con Terry, thanks for asking though, i can see where your going though, we've looked already at the relays, cheers, Jinxy
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Re: FAO, PAUL WOODS, JJ OR ANYONE WHO REALLY KNOWS MK1's, PL

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ok Guys here goes, Kev Crane and myself have an early MK1 with a problem, we have changed ECU's, ENGINE WIRING LOOM, THROTTLE BODY,& TPS SENSOR, but to no avail, when we short out T & E1 with the ingnition switch on only, we get 1 flash on the dash i.e normal, when we start the car WITHOUT touching the throttle we get a fault code 11 flashing on the dash, this causes the timing to advance/retard making the car run awful, we have even adjusted the TPS using the BGB, feeler gauges and a meter with everything reading as it should, we even checked this on my own car, with engine running and diagnostics shorted out = code 1 hold the throttle open = code 11, return to idle = code 1. Our other car will only return to code 1 if we pull the AM2 fuse to reset the ECU even without the throttle being touched ?????, anyone have any idea's as this is driving us really barmy and men in white suits are not far off i fear, cheers, Jinxy[/u]

hmmm no idea! still if kev still has that angle grinder around i'm sure that'll help :D well make you feel better anyway!
Tony jinxy froude

At the moment Chris a couple of cans of petrol seem better :wink: :wink: :x :x :x :evil:
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

Tony,I know you have swapped everything over but are you 100% that all that stuff is good.
Have you used all the diagnosis stuff in the BGB yet to try and narrow it down.
Sorry if you have done this already, but it would help to know.
Tony jinxy froude

Hi Spud,
yep looked at everything, loom is good, ECU is good, throttle body and TPS came off a car which was running in good order and has been checked, the only thing left to check today is static timing which we're going to do as soon as Kev gets here this morning, he's also bringing some relays with him, othe than that we're at a loss mate, will let you know how we get on later, cheers, Jinxy
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

YESSSSS... Its sorted.The boys are back, pure genius really.You just have to make sure everything is right at the same time.Be warned the ECU prioritises some signals so the error code only gives part of the story.
Tony jinxy froude

Yep, we sorted it guys, it was a bloody cold day to get your brain working but we did it in the end... YIPPEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!, Jinxy
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Yep, we sorted it guys, it was a bloody cold day to get your brain working but we did it in the end... YIPPEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!, Jinxy

and the fault was
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

yeah come on, tell us all about it. We might benefit from your findings chaps.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

ok the replacement tps was adjusted we spent ages with it off the car with feeler gauges and multimeter untill it was spot on.but forget all that ,just do it by hand approx and fine tune with the stop screw.but that is all hindsight. the problem was the distributer had been used to compensate for the tps not working .so with a strobe it looked close enough to normal. the ECU was throwing up a tps fault code because it was seeing the advance and assuming it was the tps that had malfunctioned even when we had replace the faulty unit.on top of that the idle adjustment had been used to prevent the engine stalling so the idle was way out.the map sensor was also totally off.the previous owner or someone for him had forced the engine to run with the tps not working at all.they had altered the distributer to negate the tps problem. the ECU was seeing the faulty tps as being at the open position and was adjusting the timing for high revs.the distibuter was miss adjusted to bring this back to enable it to idle normally.its a wonder and a testament to toyota that the engine ran at all ! this is the short version of a very gruesome tale !
JJ

Post by JJ »

Okay, run this past me again.... what wrong with the car ???

does it run but only throw out an error code ?
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

crazylegs wrote:ok the replacement tps was adjusted we spent ages with it off the car with feeler gauges and multimeter untill it was spot on.but forget all that ,just do it by hand approx and fine tune with the stop screw.but that is all hindsight. the problem was the distributer had been used to compensate for the tps not working .so with a strobe it looked close enough to normal. the ECU was throwing up a tps fault code because it was seeing the advance and assuming it was the tps that had malfunctioned even when we had replace the faulty unit.on top of that the idle adjustment had been used to prevent the engine stalling so the idle was way out.the map sensor was also totally off.the previous owner or someone for him had forced the engine to run with the tps not working at all.they had altered the distributer to negate the tps problem. the ECU was seeing the faulty tps as being at the open position and was adjusting the timing for high revs.the distibuter was miss adjusted to bring this back to enable it to idle normally.its a wonder and a testament to toyota that the engine ran at all ! this is the short version of a very gruesome tale !

xxxx - my brain cell hurts after reading all that :D:D Glad its fixed though
Tony jinxy froude

basically guys, the TPS was knackered and was left on the car by the previous owner, he knew there was something not right cos the car was running like s@it, so to compensate he adjusted the timing to make it run better and disconected loads of other bits too to try and bypass the ECU, we took the throttle body off, tested the TPS and found it to be faulty, so we replaced it with a good one and proceeded to set it up using the BGB, in theory this is ok on a new car but not on a 16 year old throttle body with wear, so when we put the thing on the car it still ran like s@it due to the adjustment being too sensitive, so we decided to just located the TPS in the mid range of adjustment and used the throttle stop for adjustment instead to set it up, when we found the positions to be correct we just altered the timing via the distributor and hey presto no fault codes !, what Kevin was saying is the fault codes only give part of the story I.E we had fault code 11 which is a TPS fault, but in reality it was also a timing fault too but there is no mention of this in any books so even if we had replaced the TPS we would have still had a code 11 due to the timing being out, hope this helps, Jinxy
Benbunny

Post by Benbunny »

Hi Tony,
I've just read your post and it might just help me!
I've got a 1985 mk1 with the timing reading up around 20-25 degrees and really overfuelling.
I can't set the timing back to 10 deg as the dizzy hits one of its stoppers. The ECU is showing code 11.
I've measured the voltage coming off the TPS and it seems ok but I guess that the wiring between the sender and the ECU could be out.

What else can cause a code 11? I was instructed that this code is caused by an interruption of power to the ECU, but looking at the car, i'm not too sure.

Cheers,
Ben.

Return to “Mechanical”