All the way on stock internals....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jonb-

Re: All the way on stock internals....

Post by jonb- »

MR2Mania wrote:

Fred wrote:
Ducatis use the cam to open and close the valves , removing the need for valve springs as used in the conventional system .

That's interesting! When I get a spare couple of hours I'll have to try and look that up and see exactly how that works mechanically. Thanks for that info! :thumleft:

Ah bikes, something i can comment on:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jh ... =technical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodromic_valve

Makes for an interesting lump
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

jonb- wrote:Ah bikes, something i can comment on:

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/techcafe.jh ... =technical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodromic_valve

Makes for an interesting lump

Ah, nice one, matey!!! =D>

The first link showed me *straight away* how it's done - what a clever idea, and simple! However, I'm now wondering how this affects what you can achieve with the cams. I think what I'm gonna do is create a little app that allows me to mess around with the cam profile and see how it affects the valve. I was planning on doing this as an app to help people work out what they're doing with cams, so it's just an extension on that theme.

Thanks again, chaps! I LOVE it when I learn something new like this!!!! :D
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Was there any sign of any pin dents? You could be right. What about from thrusting? Since you built your engine recently, do you remember which side is the thrust side on the 3SGTE? Mind you, if that was the case, you'd have noticed other anomalies, like a bent crank or ovalled bearings. Other than that, did the pistons look OK?

No pin dents on the pistons they look fine to me, I havent checked them with a magnifier but initial glance shows nothing.

Mate, I've now re-read that a few times, and don't understand what you mean (I can't understand your sentence)?

Dont worry it makes no sense to me either! :mrgreen: My mind must have been having another conversation whilst I was typing. #-o What I meant to say is that the two pistons that failed at the ring land had been exposed to high boost pressures before hand on a dyno. It however became apparent that they failed during another dyno run at 8psi?!

Cheers

James
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Bender Unit wrote:Dont worry it makes no sense to me either! :mrgreen: My mind must have been having another conversation whilst I was typing. #-o What I meant to say is that the two pistons that failed at the ring land had been exposed to high boost pressures before hand on a dyno. It however became apparent that they failed during another dyno run at 8psi?!

Ah, gotcha!!! :D

What *could* have happened is that the first time round the pistons were either stressed or actually cracked by the overboost, and then all it would have taken is enough heat cycles of expanding/contracting to eventually break them at some point later in the future.
Dino
Hedgehog Dodger

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

MR2Mania wrote:Anyway, back on topic. What ECUs and mappable devices have Xxxx, Hedgehog and Jeff been using? It's important to know this if there is to be any mileage in the theory that tuning is where it's at.

HKS F-Con Pro V-Spec Gold edition. :)
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Not to take this off topic once again.

Dino: Yes I do know who you are, however, unlike most here, that doesnt automatically put me up your a*se. I guess we can leave our differences here as I said, I was not interested. As you said, you dont care if anyone likes you or not, well personally I dont either.

jonno wrote:

For some reason I am *really* looking forward to seeing you on track - wonder if your driving is as bad as your inter-personal skill?

Neil.

Jonno: Why not keep your opinions to yourself, your obviously a track king of some sort... which also means very little to me.

Mark Edwards wrote:FPMSL at where this has gone.

Graeme, you obviously have no idea who Dino is and how much of a wealth of knowledge he is. As far as MR2 tuning on this site goes, there's a few people who's word is to be taken as gospel, Dino is one of them. If it wasn't for him, myself and others wouldn't be where we are today. It's a great shame to this community that we're going to lose this great man due to such ignorance.

Well Mark, im not an idiot, and I know your not keen on me anyway due to a couple of run ins.... however, I know fully well who Dino is.

As most of you dont know, I was around back when this was all posted on Yahoo, I asked Dino a couple of questions, and was pretty arrogantly replied to due to my lack of knowledge in engines and mr2s in general. This was 2 and a half years ago. And I dont forget much about certain people. Wether he was on a bad day or whatever fair dues.

I never said he was not a strong figure in the community as he obviously is. But I am good friends with gts chris and with JJ so dont worry, you dont need to compare me to them Dino, I picked up alot of those guys which are also great people. I learnt the rest myself.

I havent done too bad to build the car I have completly single handedly, and i offer help where I can, it just seems alot of "the big guns" push everyone else a side and its more of a popularity contest than a community.

I speak my mind also, make of me what you want.

Ive never been unreasobable. Im sure this can end here and the topic can carry on.

Graeme
michael

Post by michael »

^Trickster^ wrote:

Im sure this can end here and the topic can carry on.

Graeme

Right, you've had your say now and to be honest I'm growing increasingly bored with the bitching in this thread - it ends here please otherwise it's locked.

Big turbos, big boost, standard internals... discuss.....
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

^Trickster^ wrote:I never said he was not a strong figure in the community as he obviously is. But I am good friends with gts chris and with JJ so dont worry, you dont need to compare me to them Dino, I picked up alot of those guys which are also great people. I learnt the rest myself.

Poor g1ts! So, despite them being unfortunate enough to know you, it seems that they to have have wasted their time, as in 2.5 years, you seem to have learnt sod all! I know for sure that JJ would give good advice, so all that tells me is that you don't listen properly. :?
Dino
michael

Post by michael »

Polite requests don't seem to work, warnings seem to be ignored - so as promised here comes the padlock.

Andy, if you wish to open an update thread at some point please do so, I'll keep an eye on it and trim out anything that isn't constructive.

Moaners / Troublemakers / Whingebags - if you want to have a text based battle please do so in Off Topic rather than Modifications.

](*,)

Return to “Modifications”