All the way on stock internals....

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CosmosblueMR2

Re: All the way on stock internals....

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Andy Conroy wrote:

Sort of... but doing more research.... at the end of it i want to be in a postion to tune it myself.... :wink:

fair play =D>
I'm just being nosey as i want to take mine to the best place possible when I have a PFC put in.
I see Thor are not well regarded by some reading the below :?

It seems to be that the usual affair is to get your car mapped you head down to Thor and then subsequently have to pick up the tab for a full rebuild after its died on the rollers. That was what I was implying, when I said that I dont feel the quality of mapping is there;
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
Andy Conroy wrote:

Sort of... but doing more research.... at the end of it i want to be in a postion to tune it myself.... :wink:

fair play =D>
I'm just being nosey as i want to take mine to the best place possible when I have a PFC put in.
I see Thor are not well regarded by some reading the below :?

It seems to be that the usual affair is to get your car mapped you head down to Thor and then subsequently have to pick up the tab for a full rebuild after its died on the rollers. That was what I was implying, when I said that I dont feel the quality of mapping is there;

I don't think it's down to thor why these engines hd problems etc.

Anyway, Frank I know of a real good mapper. I can pm his details if you like. He's our neck of the woods.
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

These are the results of my Rev3 when run at 1.70-1.80 bar.This was not intensional of course i managed to snap the hose off the actuator so had no boost control whatsoever.This happened on the last IMOC trackday at Elvington so the car was under full load for no more than 10-15mins,i never noticed that this had happened until due to the amount of boost been run it blew the vacuum hose off the MAP sensor which caused the car to run like crap.I checked the boost control peak hold and it read 1.78bar,i thought i'd broke something in the engine due to deternation but then found the said hose detacted,i simply put back on and carried on.The car ran for another 2 months without fault,the first thing i notice was that my 1/2 litre catch can was filled with pure oil and as the mornings started getting colder the the car struggled to tick over when cold this is when i had the compression check done and found that No 2 piston was down on compression.So i think for any Rev3 to run at these sustained boost pressures for anytime you are either very lucky or the inevitable is just around the corner.
Last edited by MarkP. on Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Mikejc wrote: Now we know that Light is infact Xxxx, should he not yet again be given the boot?

This should have already been dealt with by admin. (yes, we noticed)
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

I have a piston which is exactly the same. No 2 aswell. But i also had a hairline crack in bore 2 :(

Aaahh well...the engine is real strong now after the rebuild :mrgreen:
M5
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

MarkP. wrote:So i think for any Rev3 to run at these sustained boost pressures for anytime are either very lucky or the inevitable is just around the corner.
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Ma ... CN0204.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Ma ... CN0202.jpg

Excellent information there :)
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

V8Killer wrote:I have a piston which is exactly the same. No 2 aswell. But i also had a hairline crack in bore 2 :(

Aaahh well...the engine is real strong now after the rebuild :mrgreen:

Mushin, did you go as far as oversized valves? I know your build is pretty comprehensive. Reply via pm if ya like, to keep this from going off topic.
screech

Post by screech »

there seems to be a bit of a theme going on with piston number 2 on a standard engine ;)

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Yeah, i noticed - interesting since it is number 3 that has the reputation for running lean..
Andy Conroy

Post by Andy Conroy »

Surely. with an equal fuel supply to all pots... this would help eliminate this problem of leaness...
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

no the problem lies in the inlet manifold design
Andy Conroy

Post by Andy Conroy »

Surely there must be a solution to sort this...
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

yes flow matching the inlet manifold and a better fuel rail,,,,
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

AM TUNING wrote:no the problem lies in the inlet manifold design

Yes it favours the middle 2 cylinders. Some say the rev 3 one is better.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Guys, that is CLASSIC ringland damage, caused by the excess boost. No det there (can you see any pin holes, or worse, melted sections?).

This is what James and I were talking about. When the stock engine runs too much boost, the piston ringlands will break away like that. Mine did this on cyl no 4 (so you're all believing to the INCORRECT hype on US forums about it being down to the manifold. The only things that affect the 2 inner cylinders is that they tend to run hotter than the outer 2.

Take it for what it really is - a classic case of overboosting cracking the stock pistons. ;)
Dino
-----------------------------------------------------
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

MR2Mania wrote:Guys, that is CLASSIC ringland damage, caused by the excess boost. No det there (can you see any pin holes, or worse, melted sections?).

This is what James and I were talking about. When the stock engine runs too much boost, the piston ringlands will break away like that. Mine did this on cyl no 4 (so you're all believing to the INCORRECT hype on US forums about it being down to the manifold. The only things that affect the 2 inner cylinders is that they tend to run hotter than the outer 2.

Take it for what it really is - a classic case of overboosting cracking the stock pistons. ;)

Dino, I beleive ChrisK did some testing on the manifolds and found this to be true. However, try as I did, I couldnt get any figures from him. He was busy with his new RR at the time as you know.

However, you are right, we cant go on say so alone.

I never realised you blew a ringland.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

ENSMR2 wrote:
I never realised you blew a ringland.

Yeah, although mine was from over-revving to 10k when I hit the wrong gear! :oops: The shock was SO severe, it shook the flywheel loose. I fixed that, and sorted out the leaking crank oil seal too (also caused at the same time), but then soon afterwards it ran on 3 cyls when at idle. It would run like normal though once you revved it up a bit, which goes to show it's not an easy thing to spot early unless you know what you're doing.

So, mine was for a different reason, but you see how sensitive the ringlands are. My Rev3 intake manifold was flow tested by my head guy before the porting work on the head, and he never reported an inbalance. I know the rev3 manifold is different, but I don't think the Rev1/2 manifold is any worse. Besides, good mapping will ensure this isn't an issue anyway!!! Which brings us back to whether the US *has* got good mappers, if they put the problem down a manifold!!! ;)
Dino
Click here for MR2 Mania Website
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

MR2Mania wrote:Yeah, although mine was from over-revving to 10k when I hit the wrong gear! Embarassed The shock was SO severe, it shook the flywheel loose. I fixed that, and sorted out the leaking crank oil seal too (also caused at the same time), but then soon afterwards it ran on 3 cyls when at idle. It would run like normal though once you revved it up a bit, which goes to show it's not an easy thing to spot early unless you know what you're doing.

10K !! :shock: What happened to your rev limiter. Did dropping it into the wrong gear mean even the ecu couldnt stop it spinning to that rpm? It's scary to think you could drive around for a while without realising. Would doing so cause any further damage. The only way to be sure is to take it apart I guess.

MR2Mani wrote:

So, mine was for a different reason, but you see how sensitive the ringlands are. My Rev3 intake manifold was flow tested by my head guy before the porting work on the head, and he never reported an inbalance. I know the rev3 manifold is different, but I don't think the Rev1/2 manifold is any worse. Besides, good mapping will ensure this isn't an issue anyway!!! Which brings us back to whether the US *has* got good mappers, if they put the problem down a manifold!!! Wink

Would then mapper need to run it richer in those cylinders that get hotter then? Or am I way off base?
jonb-

Post by jonb- »

ENSMR2 wrote:10K !! :shock: What happened to your rev limiter. Did dropping it into the wrong gear mean even the ecu couldnt stop it spinning to that rpm?

On a slightly comical, off topic note I'd love to see the ECU stopping the engine spinning up if you dropped into a wrong gear. I've a mental image of a little CPU chip throwing an anchor out of the boot.

Anyway, back to the fun stuff, this is one of the best threads i've ever lurked :-$
Andy Conroy

Post by Andy Conroy »

it is certainly providing me with some interesting views and advice :) :D

And i've learn't allot about cat fighting :D

Return to “Modifications”