Finally.....I can afford one!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Urban Assault Vehicle

Finally.....I can afford one!

Post by Urban Assault Vehicle »

Good day People,

After lurking around in the background for the best part of a year, I have managed to get myself enough money to buy an MR2.

I have around £5000 in which to buy myself a good condition 94+ model (hopefully). I'm looking at getting a NA Uk T-Bar, hopefully Rev 3 or above.

Can anyone in the collective tell me what I can expect for this kind of money and also what to look out for when going to view one. I know the basics but was just wondering if there are any common problems to look out for with MR2's

Thanks
Graw
Dale_V

Re: Finally.....I can afford one!

Post by Dale_V »

For 5k I would expect that you will get an excellent example of a rev3

I wrote this little guide a while ago....

Make sure of the service, check it's using decent oil and has been changed regulary. The service scedule for an oil change is 6k if i remember but most owners drop the oil every 3k.

make sure its had the cambelt changed at the correct times. 60k or every 5 years which ever comes first. It should be using Toyota's own red "Forlife" coolant and this is worth changing every couple of years.

For the 3SGE engine, reccomended spark plugs are NGK platinum, which are expensive at around £60, but only need changing every 60k.

Accident damage; it's worth looking in the front and rear boots at the weld seams to make sure there original and the paint is too. Panel gaps obviously should be even too.

When test driving it listen for knoking in the suspension, this is usually the drop links, quite cheap to get replacements, but can be a pain to take the old ones off...

Binding calipers are also common, so check for any dragging whilst braking and make sure its not pulling from side to side.

Also look for mayo in the oil cap - possible head gasket, oil leaks around the rocker cover.

Syncro's on the gearbox usually go, but this is pretty obvious to find as it will be chrunching when changing gear.

these MR2's are pretty good regarding rust, but make sure the arches are good, check for mud build up behind the arch. if there is mud there, remove it properly and make sure the metals sound and you should be OK

Oh and if it's a T-Bar it will probably leak

HTH
Neil Clark

Post by Neil Clark »

You can have my 1995 Rev3 for £4750 matey, T bar (NO LEAKS) with black leather, all new re-con calipers (4), as new alloys

Neil
Urban Assault Vehicle

Do you have any info on it? i.e, colour, mileage etc...

Cheers
Neil Clark

Post by Neil Clark »

PM sent :D
tony2311

Post by tony2311 »

for £5000 i rather spend £4000 on a turbo and the extra 1000 on insurance, the difference between then is a lot and you will get bored with 172bhp very soon and its very expensive to get more bhp from a N/A,find out the insurance difference is for a turbo and see and test drive N/A and Turbo to feel the difference you wouldnt buy then N/A then!
Urban Assault Vehicle

Although I would love a turbo, I do a 50 mile round trip to work every day and the majority of this is spent sitting in traffic so I don't really fancy the running costs to be honest.

Also, my mate has a turbo car and has had nothing but trouble with it so its kind of put me off the idea as well. :cry:

Cheers
mr2nut123

MR2 For Sale

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ive got an excellent White UK 1993 rev2 N/A for sale if your interested? very well looked after and maintained, full service history, just had cambelt and valeo sports clutch installed (£400) and then 17" alloys with low profile tyres (£700) my ONLY reason for sale is to get a turbo model. £3500 ono

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”