Bastid downpipe !

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Muffleman

Bastid downpipe !

Post by Muffleman »

Hi all,

Well, finally got a day to myself to do lots of jobs on the tubby, including fitting the 3" extremeboost downpipe I got from Tim at xxxx a few weeks ago.

Soaked everything in sight in WD40 last week, and again last night. All was going well, every bolt at the top loosened no probs - the three at the exhaust flexi undid okay, I was starting to wonder what everyone's been moaning about :wink:

I've had small problems but nothing major until I tried to wind off the nut on the bolt nearest the oil filter. Unfortunately, the bolt is coming out and the nut wont come off the bolt, so the nut fouls on the oil filter coupling (oil filter is off). Otherwise, the old downpipe is ready to just come out :roll:

I'm done with swearing, kicking the cat, hurling spanners etc and it's getting dark so I've finished. Any one got any ideas on how to remove this nut or\and bolt ? There ain't much room in there is there :eek:

Still, polished rocker on, polished up my top exhaust heatshield whilst it was off etc, looking forward to getting it all put back together :)

Time for a beer .........

Matt
eddy simpson

downpipe

Post by eddy simpson »

Give the stud a clean with a small wire brush or something, give it another soaking of wd40 then hold the end of the stud with vice grips then hopefully the nut should come off. If not you will probably need some heat on the nut! :wink:
Muffleman

Re: Bastid downpipe !

Post by Muffleman »

Will do mate, the problem is the lack of space - trust it to be the one right by the oil filter :roll:
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

just take the oil cooler off.

Big nut in the middle, undo that and move it to the side, give you another 2-3 inches of room to get that nut and stud out.

Tim
xxxx
robsgts

Post by robsgts »

as tims says mate the oil cooler has to come off ,i done mine last week its a easy job to do ,once thats of it will come straight off.

regards rob :wink:
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

Thanks mate, I did wonder about that - I had visions of winding it off and all the bits disappearing inside the engine :D
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

just keep track of the bolts and everything will be ok :)

Tim
xxxx
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

i used moll grips to get the stubborn ones off, dont worrie about rounding it off to much as it rethreads it self when i put it back in.

Return to “Modifications”