On the dyno yesterday - big thanks to TDI **Now with video**

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FreeFall

On the dyno yesterday - big thanks to TDI **Now with video**

Post by FreeFall »

Hi All,

I went over to Torque Developments International yesterday to get my fueling and timing sorted out, along with an oil change now that the rebuilt engine is fully run in.

I have to say a big THANKS! to Mark, Sam and Phil for a fantastically informative and interesting day. The dyno booth is really a sight to behold (although those huge fans can get mighty chilly) and the workshop looks more like a surgery than a garage - check out the article in the lastest Banzai magazine! They were all very happy to answer any questions that I had and were able to explain stuff in 'laymans' terms, which is good for me.

I happened to mention a problem with the interior lights not working properly and the boot light staying on and within no time at all I was told that both were fixed (cowboy alarm installer for the interiors and a dodgy connection on the boot light) and that they had stripped out the old door switch wiring and soldered up a new harness... top job guys =D>

I know that some people think that they are over-priced but, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. They obviously pitch themselves at the 'upper end' of the market and for me this kind of service is money well spent. If you are not forced to work on a shoestring budget and you want the best for your car then I can highly recommend giving TDI a bell :thumleft:

Unfortunately we had to call a halt to the proceedings when it was found that my knock sensor was dodgy, but I'm going back on Friday to get a new one fitted and then get another power run done. All was looking good up until the dreaded det with the '2 pulling like a train - I've got some vids which are still on tape (which I'll post up soon) but here is the plot for those of you that are interested. Spec is HKS 2.2 Stroker kit, HKS cams and HKS turbo with the EVC 5 controller. This was running at a smidge over 1 bar but it's looking as if there may be enough fuel there to run 1.2 bar (I'm currently on the standard injectors/pump ECU and AFM).

225 BHP / 211 ft-lbs @ Hubs @ 5.5k RPM - Looking forward to Friday so I can see what it's really capable of! 260 at the hubs will do me for now I think, with the next step being to go for a standalone ECU to get rid of the AFM and maybe uprate the fuelling. I don't want to make it undrivable as a road car and will probably get the wheel/tyre combination sorted first as there is rubbing on full lock and when hitting potholes on our great British roads (due to the coilovers no doubt).

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you and of course will welcome any comments that you guys & gals have...

Click for the full size pic:

Once again, big thanks to TDI for a great service.

[EDIT] I've uploaded some video for those that are interested:

This first is of the final power run, where the knock sensor quit and the second was taken before and during the set-up runs, where 6.5k RPM runs were attainable and shows the huge fans that are used... enjoy...

[Right click and "save as"]

http://www.zigzag.co.uk/MR2/video/MR2_Power_Run.wmv - 3.6 MB

http://www.zigzag.co.uk/MR2/video/MR2_Setup_Runs.wmv - 12MB

Nick
Last edited by FreeFall on Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy

Re: On the dyno yesterday - big thanks to TDI **Now with video**

Post by Goldy »

looks good mate.... should be even better when its all running properly !! :twisted:
ImageImage
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

looking good for lots more :wink:
Harry

great!

Post by Harry »

its really great to hear,when, tuning garages do good service :!: =D>

8) 8) 8) 8)
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

How much you spend with them mate for the whole day?? I totally agree that you get what you pay for, but when I spoke to them about a year ago they wanted £100+ per HOUR on the rollers!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

gregg wrote:How much you spend with them mate for the whole day?? I totally agree that you get what you pay for, but when I spoke to them about a year ago they wanted £100+ per HOUR on the rollers!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i beleive they are doing it for free as it was not properly mapped when nick bought it :)
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

gregg wrote:How much you spend with them mate for the whole day?? I totally agree that you get what you pay for, but when I spoke to them about a year ago they wanted £100+ per HOUR on the rollers!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

As Jay correctly points out, the work that I had done on Thursday was not charged for, due to the fact that TDI actually sold me the car (albeit through a third party). The deal was that once the rebuilt engine was run-in, they would set up the fuelling and timing free of charge and, as you can see from my first post, they went above and beyond this deal. The prices quoted on their website are £68/hour for labour and £80/hour for time on the dyno - excluding VAT. Although I realise, as I said before, that this is by no means cheap, I would have been happy to pay these rates for the service that I received on the day. I was there pretty much all day but as I turned up late due to getting lost :oops: and I stated I was in no hurry, the total time on the dyno I would say was less than 2 hours, plus 1 hour to sort out the electrics and change the oil+filter. If the knock sensor had not decided to quit on the final power run, total damage to my wallet would have been around £350 less parts I presume. I personally don't find this to be extortionate, I charge well over that for a day of IT consultancy and I don't even have to get my hands dirty :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm not affiliated with TDI at all and I realise that these costs go beyond many budgets but, in my eyes, bang for buck, I personally think they they offer a good deal. YMMV :wink:

I've uploaded some video for those that are interested:

This first is of the final power run, where the knock sensor quit and the second was taken before and during the set-up runs, where 6.5k RPM runs were attainable and shows the huge fans that are used... enjoy...

[Right click and "save as"]

http://www.zigzag.co.uk/MR2/video/MR2_Power_Run.wmv - 3.6 MB

http://www.zigzag.co.uk/MR2/video/MR2_Setup_Runs.wmv - 12MB

Merry Christmas everyone, I'm off to help my wife wrap the presents... :roll:

Nick
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

An update for anyone who might be interested:

The knock sensor was replaced but we still couldn't get it past 6.5k revs without the fuel running out (stock injectors, rail and pump). So, as she stands now I'm getting

245 BHP @ hubs @ 6500 RPM
221 lb-ft @ Hubs @ 5500 RPM

Not wanting to resurrect any old arguments regarding losses etc. but that must be around 300 BHP @ the fly \:D/

Check out the huge torque drop when the fuel runs out :o

Still more to go but it looks like an uprated fuel pump and FPR could be on the cards next...

Nick
AM TUNING

Post by AM TUNING »

nice ,,

i would be intrigued to find out what it runs with good management ,
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

Hi Andi,

Yeah, me too :)

Fuelling first then a standalone management system - should be interesting :-k

Nick
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Some nice figures there - do you have any torque plots to go with that? You should be seeing an easy 250 ft-lbs + with 13-14psi ..

Running out of fuel at those power levels is probably about right - I've got 256 RWHP from my old Rev2 before fueling started to get borderline.

If you're killing knock sensors I'd be quite cautious - there's got to be a reasonable amount of detonation for that to happen.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm up to 240 odd rwhp with fuel left?
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

BenF wrote:Some nice figures there - do you have any torque plots to go with that? You should be seeing an easy 250 ft-lbs + with 13-14psi ..

Running out of fuel at those power levels is probably about right - I've got 256 RWHP from my old Rev2 before fueling started to get borderline.

If you're killing knock sensors I'd be quite cautious - there's got to be a reasonable amount of detonation for that to happen.

Hi Ben,

The torque is plotted on the same graph, the line joined by circles as opposed to squares, and with the reading taken from the scale on the right. You can see it drop from 221 ft-lbs to 193 ft-lbs between 5500 and 6500 rpm due to the fuel dropping out. This is running at 1.15 bar (17 psi?) but not up to redline. I presume that it will keep making more power if it has the fuel available :-k

The knock sensor was duff in the first place and I don't think this was caused by detonation as the engine has only just been run in and didn't go above 5k prior to this dyno run.

matt_mr2t wrote:
I'm up to 240 odd rwhp with fuel left?

I'm no expert on the subject but could this have something to do with the fact I have a 2.2 Stroker? Is yours on stock fuelling? maybe my pump is just tired :lol: I don't think that there is all that much difference between wheel/hub figures so maybe you are getting close to maxing out too.

I have more pressing issues at the moment 'cos my alternator is not charging the battery - I'm hoping that James @ 3S will be looking at this Monday - will get a quote for an uprated fuel pump and FPR while I'm there \:D/

Cheers for the comments guys, I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.

Nick
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm on a CT20b on a rev2 could be the reason, your turbo might be pushing more out.
And possible as you say the 2.2 might be needing more fuel.
BTW all the knock sensors are rubbish.
People often find that after mapping they're dead, they tend to not only sense the knock but break too.
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

The turbo is one of the HKS GT series, although I'm not sure which one. As mentioned, it's running at 1.15 bar at the moment - I wanted a lower setting on one of the EVC channels but we couldn't get it to go any lower than that!

I've been told that knock sensors are 'consumable' items... :shock:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've got a GM one, much stronger. May be not the best item to use though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”