Wheel Alignment

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

Wheel Alignment

Post by mr2nut123 »

My rear right hand side wheel is pointing inwards very slighly but is making my ride really uncomfy and unstable as its draggin to the left constantly. I took it to a garage today and a bar coming from the suspension is bent about an inch which need to be replaced. When thats done there is a bar at the back which can be adjusted with a turning bolt in the middle which SHOULD bring the wheel back to its correct position. This guy was going to charge £25 an hour for it and couldnt even give me an estimate :? anyone know where i can get this job done cheap? Maybe some traders discount. Im in the Bradford area but will travel a fair bit for the right price. Cheers in advance.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Wheel Alignment

Post by Lauren »

Get a replacement track rod, to replace the bent one, then take it for a 4 wheel alignment.

Last time i did this it cost me £57. this was at Nottingham alignment.

They did an 'ok'ish job, though since then i've done my own geo setups which have proved far more accurate, only because i took the time on it i guess.

The rear wheels have quite a lot of toe-in anyway, so they will look to be pointing slightly inwards. I know its 5mm toe-in stock on a Mk1, would guess a MK2 is approx the same.

OEM settings generally work on a plus minus of 1mm.

What you should ensure is that you get a printout of the before and after. Any decent alignment place should give you this.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

lol about time sum1 replied. its pointing in a gud inch to be honest. do you think thats what it is thats bent? i havent got any pics but the rod isnt the one at the back with the adjustable bar its the other one coming off it, quite a thinish bar. if this is the track rod how much are they from toyota? cheers for reply by the way
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mr2nut123 wrote:lol about time sum1 replied. its pointing in a gud inch to be honest. do you think thats what it is thats bent? i havent got any pics but the rod isnt the one at the back with the adjustable bar its the other one coming off it, quite a thinish bar. if this is the track rod how much are they from toyota? cheers for reply by the way

hmmm, not quite sure which part of the suspension you mean.

Looking at the suspension from the rear of the car, the track rod which controls your toe is the nearest one to you. the next one is the lower arm which is quite a bit bigger/thicker.

The only thing that i can think which is thinner than the track rod is the anti-roll bar which wouldn't have any effect on geometry.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

its not the one u immediately see from the rear, thats the adjustable bar. its the one infront slighly to the right tho goes at a 45degree upwards.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mr2nut123 wrote:its not the one u immediately see from the rear, thats the adjustable bar. its the one infront slighly to the right tho goes at a 45degree upwards.

Do you mean the lower arm? ie does it go to the bottom of the hub?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

im not a mechanic so sorry if i arent been clear lol. its the small bar that goes near the strut? is it? theres one bar that goes horizontal pretty much along the back of the car for each wheel which is adjustable but the bar that is bent is the one further towards the front of the car coming off from the adjustable bar. it starts off low and then goes upwards towards the arch.

Return to “Mechanical”