300bhp please?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Joesafish

300bhp please?!

Post by Joesafish »

Hi all im new to this forum and guess this has been covered lots but anyone give me a nice simple answer... im looking into buying an MR2 turbo... ideally in the long term i want 300bhp (flywheel) because my last car (200sx had this) what mods do you need to do im guessing same as most tubby cars.. uprated cooling tubby and fueling with management to match. Whats the best MR2 to start with and what costs are invlolved.. also can the standard internals and indeed drive train take this power (how much can they take?) or do you need to look at forged pistons head work etc. Finally my budget to start with is probally going to be 4grand whats my chances of getting a decent MR2 turdo for this and any chance of getting a decent one already modded to or close to what im after for that money? Sorry my quick question just rolled on so hope you can help.
Joe
Scotster

Re: 300bhp please?!

Post by Scotster »

Go for any tubby you want coz your going to be changing just about everything that makes them different anyway. Charge cooler, filter, exhaust, chipped, boost controller (keeping it kinda safe), large turbo, uprated rods and pistons.

Scott =oP
Scotster

Post by Scotster »

Theres one for sale on here already quite well modded for under 4k. Very low mileage too, would be a bargain for you. Its got the uprated turbo already, chipped too i think.

Scott =oP
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Pick up a revision 3 (1994 onwards) they have larger turbo and injectors than the eariler models, 300 crank hp is easy with bolt on modifications!

Graeme
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

you dont need any internals done for 300fly....altho they may help in the long run if you decide to get a massive turbo....(and want 400bhp)
these cars with the right mods are capable of 800bhp....

rev3s are easier to get to 300bhp fly than rev1/2s due to the slightly bigger stock turbo that boosts to the redline, and can handle a good 3psi more than the rev1/2s stock turbos....
Joesafish

Post by Joesafish »

thanks for the advice... ok say i brought a standard rev 3 in good nick what should i do to it to see a reliable 300bhp and what would each mod likely cost me?
Sorry to ask questions im sure have been asked year on year but hell we all have to learn somehow! p.s if anyone wants to know about nissan 200's then thats something i can help with! lol
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Joesafish wrote:thanks for the advice... ok say i brought a standard rev 3 in good nick what should i do to it to see a reliable 300bhp and what would each mod likely cost me?
Sorry to ask questions im sure have been asked year on year but hell we all have to learn somehow! p.s if anyone wants to know about nissan 200's then thats something i can help with! lol

for SAFE 300, i would say

full service, and i mean a full shabang one, say, £200-300 (includes all servicing items)
boost guage £20-200
run 17psi with mbc....(£17-£300),
cc or ic, £500-£1000
exhaust £250-£1000
downpipe £100-200
air filter £30-200

i would say quite close to 300.......

if this was all done on the rev1/2, take that 17psi down to 15psi.....PLUS a unichip.....(say 500)....
altho saying that, with the rev1/2s, your better off just buying a bigger turbo, £500-2000 (potentially would be over 300bhp tho).....

hth....
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I Rev3, Apexi intake, decat, Buddy club exhaust, and EBC.
At 18psi I was 302bhp at the fly.
Though I only usually run 15/16psi. 18 was fine, but heatsoaked quick. And aftermarket IC or chargecooler would do you well.

rory has a rev2, chargecooler, decat, blitz nurspec, and a ct20b (rev3 turbo) and is on 312 at the fly. Only running 16/17psi.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

i have a rev 3 running a tad under 1.1bar on stock ic, decat pipe and full exhaust and an apex i panel filter and got 265 rwhp which has gotta be around the 300 @ the fly i would imagine???
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

nathanfreke wrote:i have a rev 3 running a tad under 1.1bar on stock ic, decat pipe and full exhaust and an apex i panel filter and got 265 rwhp which has gotta be around the 300 @ the fly i would imagine???

going by skywalker and rory RR figs , youd have run around 320-330bhp on that Rolling Road.........

altho i really cant see this, what other mods do you have cause that is a good 30whp over similar cars with the same or even more mods........
you sure they didnt give you fly figures?? cause 265 sounds about right for fly figs for your mods.....
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I thought tranny loss was only around the 40 mark for us. Making it fairly similar.
No way we lose 65bhp! No way!
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Yep I've said it before as well. Theres no way in hell you will lose 60-70hp when you only put down ~240rwhp. Guesstimated BHP at the flywheel is just to make you feel better about how much money you have spent on your car.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

jimGTS wrote:
nathanfreke wrote:i have a rev 3 running a tad under 1.1bar on stock ic, decat pipe and full exhaust and an apex i panel filter and got 265 rwhp which has gotta be around the 300 @ the fly i would imagine???

going by skywalker and rory RR figs , youd have run around 320-330bhp on that Rolling Road.........

altho i really cant see this, what other mods do you have cause that is a good 30whp over similar cars with the same or even more mods........
you sure they didnt give you fly figures?? cause 265 sounds about right for fly figs for your mods.....

No it was definately rwhp, the guy who did it said it was extremely powerful for the mods it has done as the best he had seen on his dyno only gave 280rwhp and that had be 'significantly' modded (in his words!) so maybe there are some other mods im missing... but if there is they sure aint external ones unless the turbo has been played with internally cos it is stiill stamped toyota on it but has no ct26 or ct20 markings on it??

Maybe i should whip the rocker cover off to look for cams, but having said that the idle is smooth as anything which aftermarket cams tends to make slightly more 'lumpy'.

Nathan
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Skywalker wrote:I thought tranny loss was only around the 40 mark for us. Making it fairly similar.
No way we lose 65bhp! No way!

well i cant remeber what you got fella, but rory had 245whp, and got 312 fly....
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

My rev2 £3,700 pretty mint.

£240 for used CT20b turbo (rev3 model)
£160 for Rogue downpipe
£611 for Unichip
£15 for mbc.
Already had exhaust and air filter.
306bhp fwp (which I KNOW is only guesstimation)
278 lbs per foot of torque.

Next up, AVCR fitting at the weekend, full rev3 ECU set up and a new intercooler next year. Hoping to go over 320bhp then.

Edit: when I first bought it and put it on the rollers it made 202bhp to give you an idea.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

nathanfreke wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

No it was definately rwhp, the guy who did it said it was extremely powerful for the mods it has done as the best he had seen on his dyno only gave 280rwhp and that had be 'significantly' modded (in his words!) so maybe there are some other mods im missing... but if there is they sure aint external ones unless the turbo has been played with internally cos it is stiill stamped toyota on it but has no ct26 or ct20 markings on it??

Maybe i should whip the rocker cover off to look for cams, but having said that the idle is smooth as anything which aftermarket cams tends to make slightly more 'lumpy'.

Nathan

CT20 only says Toyota nothing else.

I've been on two different rollers and both showed substantial transmition losses.
I don't think the 2 is the same as a front engined front wheel drive car.
I could be wrong, this is only my theory but the 2 is mid engined, IE the engine isn't directly over the rear wheels.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

even the liecester RR had losses of between 50-60bhp....
as well as the essex RR day, 50-60bhp.....
matts had his on another it seems with 50-60...
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

What exactly is there between the engine and the wheels on a 2?
In comparison to a fwd front engined car.
And yes Jim it was about 60bhp tranny loss. But then I'm pretty sure that Engine Advantages do give high fwp figures.
But hey. 306bhp sounds great ;)
Joesafish

Post by Joesafish »

thanks again all, so am i right in saying the rev 3 ecu fuel pump and injectors are capable of running the car at 300bhp? With the only mods needed uprated intercooler, exhaust and a tweak on the tubby boost? Thanks for all the advice, Joe

Return to “Modifications”