Rear fog light question

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jamitsi

Rear fog light question

Post by Jamitsi »

Hi,

I have just got a fresh import, MR2 GTS Rev 3

having to put a rear fog light on it
i wanted to convert the driverside reversing light
is this a good idea?
has anybody done this? (i am sure there is a good few )

can any of you guys tell me how you did it?
did you tint the lense red somehow?
or use a red bulb?
i thought about using a red bulb, are they red enough and bright enough for a fog light?

thanks
jamie
mrrwaction1

Rear fog lights

Post by mrrwaction1 »

Hi there i think the best way to takle this is two get hold of a twin element light base and fit it to the outer light then fit a twin element lamp to it and connect the 21 watt element to the fog light relay and switch I changed both of them on my car looks cool as i connected it up so that all four rear lights were on all at once. with the outer two doubling up as break lights and the inner two as fog lights
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Re: Rear fog light question

Post by Scott Barton »

I wired up two separate lamp bases to accomodate Fog lamps.
When MOT time comes around i whip the lights off, swop the lamp bases over to convert the inner two lights to fogs.
As soos as she has that 'MOT pass' i swop them back over so i have all 4 lights on as tail/brakes. Works a treat and there is plenty of room to leave the extra lamp base tucked behind the lights.
I dont need the fog lights...i never drive her in the wet or foggy conditions! :mrgreen:
Jamitsi

Post by Jamitsi »

Thanks forthe help guys

but i have it all sorted now :D
i have wired up the O/S reversing lamp with a red bulb
which i have to say isn't as red as the rear lights ( more abit pink)
but should be ok
if it fails the MOT because of it i will sort out the lens.

i will let you know how i get on

jamie

wish me luck!!
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Hi Jamie,

Tbh I doubt your fog light will pass the MOT......?

I imagine it is too small for starters, and if its not even as bright as your rear sidelights you have a big problem! It should be as bright or brighter than your brake lights.

The configuration on my car is 4 brake lights, 4 side lights, and the inner 2 brake/side lights act as fogs. If I brake with the rear fogs on the outer 2 will just light up as the inners are already lit.

This is illegal though as you should have dedicated fog lamp(s). So, I installed a simple toggle switch for the MOT so I can switch off the 2 inner brake lights so they are dedicated fog lights :wink:

This is the best config IMO and looks 8)

Let me know if you want a how to........

:D
Martha Foker

Post by Martha Foker »

Hi Leeroy, if you could see your way to giving me a how to for rear fogs i'd be most grateful, my bolt on job looks cheap and nasty.

Cheers

Mark
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Hi Mark,

Will do, give me a couple of days to piece the how-to together, I need to cast my mind back!

Can you please tell me your car model and current light configuration.

Leon
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

i have just done this modification when i fitted my rev3 lights
basically you need to run 2 wires (one to each side)
connect these to the brake light wires
you will then notice that all 4 brake lights also work as fog lights (not good)
so now you need to install 2, 5 amp diodes (you should be able to get these from maplins ) in the wire from the outer brake light to the iner brake light
if you get the diodes the right way round then all 4 light will work as brake lights and when you turn on the fogs the inner two only will work because the diode will stop the current going to the outer ones
i am assuming that if you take the diodes out at mot time, then just the fogs will operate the inner lights and problem solved
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Right now please dont comment on my basic computer skills but i have just done a sketch in paint to give you an idea of what i mean

i know it looks like a 5 year old done it but i am a mechanic not a computer buff :oops: :oops:

Last edited by 3sgte on Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamitsi

Post by Jamitsi »

I imagine it is too small for starters, and if its not even as bright as your rear sidelights you have a big problem! It should be as bright or brighter than your brake lights.

The size shouldn't be a problem as, as the lens is no smaller than some cars rear fogs
and it is brighter than the rear lights, i have used a 21 watt bulb and the rear lights are 5 watt!
what i meant was, the fog light isn't as red

On My Rev 3 turbo i have only 2 rear light (the outer ones) and 4 brake lights

if it fails i might convert the 2 inner brake lights
Martha Foker

Post by Martha Foker »

Leon, it's a 95 Rev 3 Turbo
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

jimi

Post by jimi »

Leeroy wrote:Hi Jamie,

Tbh I doubt your fog light will pass the MOT......?

The configuration on my car is 4 brake lights, 4 side lights, and the inner 2 brake/side lights act as fogs. If I brake with the rear fogs on the outer 2 will just light up as the inners are already lit.

This is illegal though as you should have dedicated fog lamp(s). So, I installed a simple toggle switch for the MOT so I can switch off the 2 inner brake lights so they are dedicated fog lights :wink:

This is the best config IMO and looks 8)

Let me know if you want a how to........

:D

I've done more or less the same with my MK1. But I checked with 3 different MOT testers at different test stations and checked the MOT testers manual and there is no requirement to have dedicated fog light(s), dual purpose lights are perfectly acceptable, as for wattage, 21 watts ( same as your brake lights) is all you need. Fimmo has just had his MK2 MOT'd with the rear lights setup like this and it passed without comment on the lights
hth
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Martha Foker wrote:Hi Leeroy, if you could see your way to giving me a how to for rear fogs i'd be most grateful, my bolt on job looks cheap and nasty.

Cheers

Mark

Ok Mark, well Stef beat me to it yet again! Actually I did my mod through Stef's detailed instructions originally so they'll be fine for you to figure it out. He did a grand job =D>

I made my own version of instructions derived from Stef's to help me figure it out so you can have these as well:

If you have your lights currently set up like the UK spec, e.g. sidelights and brake lights on outer bulb and dedicated fogs on inner bulb, you'll need to purchase a new wiring loom from Mr T or a breakers yard so you can exchange the inner single contact bulb holders with dual contact bulb holders. You'll also need 2 dual filament 5/21W bulbs for the new holders.

To replace:

• Cut both old inside bulb holders from fog feeds. Leave the fog feeds in situ
• Wire up the two new inside bulb holders in place, wiring both sidelight filaments in parallel and then both brake light filaments in parallel
• Wire the inner and outer sidelights filaments together in parallel
• With the new inner brake light parallel connection, wire the outer brake light filaments to the inner ones, putting (1) a 5A diode and (2) a switch in between (to allow (1) a single current direction from outers to inners, and (2) to enable the inside brake lights to be switched off for the MOT)
• Wire another 5A diode from the fog light feed to the inner brake lights. Tape up the other fog light feed

According to Jimi you can leave out the switch if you like but there's no real harm putting it in anyway.....

A note to people trying this with UK light clusters: please note that there will be a separator plate between the inner and outer bulb holders so you won't get 2 complete circles each side but just over 1 and a half! You can always get hold of some JDM clusters though to make it look 8) again!

HTH
jimi

Post by jimi »

As Leeroy says wouldn't do any harm to put the switch in, you might get an awkward MOT tester who has a different interpretation of whats allowed. :wink:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
Martha Foker

Post by Martha Foker »

Cheers for the replies, the instructions seem easy enough to follow but as far as I know I have no rear fog light feed on my wiring loom hence the tacky bolt on rear fog I have at the moment.

Mark
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Aha, that's what I had! No problem though......

Just unbolt the tacky fog light and remove, and in the process unwire the fog lead and let it hang loose. If you lift up the felt in the boot (by removing some of the poppers first - push in the middle part and pull out from the edges) you should be able to see where the fog lead goes out of the body. So just pull the lead up and feed it through to the cluster area, I did this via the small blanking grommet you'll see (6-8mm diameter) for neatness and punched a small hole in it with my mum's fabric hole punch!

One other thing, when and if you need to connect the fog/brake or whatever wires from 1 cluster to the other cluster, just run the wire/cable inside the boot and behind the felt and tape it to the other cabling already there for neatness.

An obvious tip but be careful to insulate all bear wires so they don't short on the car bodywork :wink: I once managed to short one of my component speakers as the terminals were touching the bodywork :oops: Simple fix though and no damage :-$

Good luck!

:twisted:
Stevef

Post by Stevef »

Leeroy,

im looking at doing this coversion soon myself ,

Any ideas where i would get the JDM clusters (as my tail/brake lights are outers , whilst the inners are fogs , so i wanna lose that separator plate so i get the full two circles)

Can the serparator plate be removed ? filed down/snapped off/ sanded ???

Also wot kind of wiring loom would i have to ask Toyota for ?
Knowing Toyota they`ll charge about £750 for it.........

Thanks in Advance

Steve

ps ill maybe need a bit of help with the fog too.

pps. eleccys are not my thing so keep it simple .......... (bit like maself)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and one other quick thing , can Front fogs , be fitted with a lower wattage bulb to be the same brightness as normal headlights ??
Or is this illegal ????
Jamitsi

Post by Jamitsi »

Oh and one other quick thing , can Front fogs , be fitted with a lower wattage bulb to be the same brightness as normal headlights ??
Or is this illegal ????

Your front fog light bulbs should be 65watt standard fitment. you can get higher wattage ones. as for the headlight i think it uses a H4 type bulb (dipped and main in one!) and i can remember if they are 65watt/65watt or 65watt/55watt. so they are the same wattage or only very slighty lower.
think you will find its the way the lights are angled, as headlights a angled down and to the left. fog lights are pointing straight ahead! so look brighter.

hope this helps

jamie
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Stevef wrote:Any ideas where i would get the JDM clusters (as my tail/brake lights are outers , whilst the inners are fogs , so i wanna lose that separator plate so i get the full two circles)

Can the serparator plate be removed ? filed down/snapped off/ sanded ???

Firstly, I guess you've got UK spec clusters. If you wanted to remove the separator plate it would mean braking the seal to get into the clusters which is not a good idea as they will then mist up all the time if not re-sealed correctly. I also don't know how easy it would be to remove the plates, presumably not too difficult, but not sure it would look great if you couldn't get it 100% smooth??

Best bet is to get some JDM clusters. They are often sold on the for sale and affiliates sections here, and on eBay, just keep a look out. Alternatively, a breakers will probably be able to get you a set, try Sports Toyota Breakers in affiliates...

Stevef wrote:Also wot kind of wiring loom would i have to ask Toyota for ?
Knowing Toyota they`ll charge about £750 for it.........

As for the loom, well really you just need two additional dual filament bulb holders, not a whole loom. But in reality its easiest to get hold of a whole loom and then cut them off... You can buy one from Toyota for £20-30 which is a lot (what I did :oops: ) or you can get them from a breakers yard. Try Sports Toyota Breakers again...

Stevef wrote:Oh and one other quick thing , can Front fogs , be fitted with a lower wattage bulb to be the same brightness as normal headlights ??
Or is this illegal ????

Are they not already around the same wattage of normal headlights? Why are you asking this? You do realise fog lights are only for use in foggy conditions right - there's nothing more annoying than people using fogs when they're not supposed to!!! :wink:

FWIW headlight bulbs are H4 and fog lights are H3.

HTH

Return to “Electrical”