Unichip fitter/maper with rolling road?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juanwond

Unichip fitter/maper with rolling road?

Post by juanwond »

Can anyone recommend someone near where i am (anglesey, north wales) that could fit/map a unichip on a rolling road that won't rip me off?. Manchester/warrington/chester would all do

Just bought a Unichip of e-bay for £130 quid..seemed like a good deal seeing as it's not been used. Anyone else tried these on a mk1 mr2? I'll post my results if anyone's interested....

Thanx,

Juan.
Scotster

Re: Unichip fitter/maper with rolling road?

Post by Scotster »

From what i have read they are meant to be really good. No idea about fitting though. One of the Dastek places are based up here in Scottyland but thats no good to you.

Go to the unichip website and ask them, that way you know its being done right. I was quoted 520 for the chip, mapping and rolling road tunning.

Cheers

Scott =oP
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

THnx for replying..at least somebody did!..phoned the HQ, found a place but a bit *****d off 2 find out that even having my own chip would only knock £100 of the price of the 'package' they do of chip/fitting/tuning and that there is no way i could get a wiring diagram and fit it myself..tried looking everywhere for someone who's already done it to a mk1 but no luck the whole setup really sucks..i really wish i'd looked into it a bit more closely and bought a different make, but i've never come across a situation like this where you can buy something but are not able to to DIY because no-one will let you have the information ](*,) .. the whole thing is just wrong :thumbdown:

Personally if i get this thing fitted i'm going to work out the wiring diagram and set up a page to post it on..then get as many people as possible 2 do the same..if you don't like something then do something about it. Be interesting to see what Dastek would think of that!

Juan.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

What rev is your car? I have a rev 3 wiring diagram if it helps......
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

sorry, just read you got a mk1..... doh!!! If you can get the wire id from the uni chip then www.club4ag.com has everything you need regarding ecu wires!!

Hope this helps :?
alexwainwright

Post by alexwainwright »

Nathanfreke - you have pm!!! :D
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

:D that might help rather a lot actually! :D
Thanks 'nathan, this might save me a pretty penny if i can work out the wires on the unichip [-o< (not received it yet) [-o<

Grat's

Juan.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

If you Google around you might be able to find wiring diagrams to help. I had some problems with the Unichip I had for the Roadster Turbo conversion and with the ECU wiring worked it out. Drop me a PM if you need the details.

FWIW I know of one MK1a owner who got a Unichip mapped and fitted one and gained an impressive 15bhp - but he had to run Super Unleaded after getting that map done.

Bear in mind though - most of the cost fitting the Unichip is actually the Rolling Road time to get it all mapped properly.

Hey - you wouldn't happen to have a white Mk1 would you? At the last Anglesey trackday I saw a obviously well cared for example driving around near Abberfraw ..
juanwond

Post by juanwond »

Thanx ben,

Is that a 3rd gen you mean when you say roadster?..Evo mag thinks highly of them (much more like the mk1 than 2nd gen), in fact they compared it to the Lotus Elise quite favourably..with a turbo conversion it sounds like it would be fantastic. Heard on a US site that people got some very good results from the Unichip with it c.160bhp with no other mods and better fuel economy to boot.

On your points:

i'm guessing there wouldn't be much similarity between the roadster and the mk1?

Tried googling but couldn't find any relevant info as regards wiring diagrams

Running Super unleaded wouldn't be a problem as i'm quite possibly getting a 3rd gen rx7 which downs fuel quicker than a 747 at take of..i'm going to have to get use to obscene fuel bills!!

Fair point on the fitting cost but then i don't really object to the overall cost. It's as i have found out that you cannot get information/wireing diagrams to fit yourself so you're forced to have a dealer do it for you..the overall cost really isn't that bad for this sort of thing (omex system for example as used by Raw Engineering costs a fair bit more for a similar system)....may sound a bit picky, fair enough but i would have liked to have had the option.

Was it a member of this club that fitted it and do you have a contact for them as that might really help?

As for my Mr2, no afraid mine looks rather rough around the edges at the moment (rusty wheel arches etc) and is blue...well looked after under the skin because to me that's more important, but i plan on doing the bodywork to get it back to a decent level in the nearish future.

Juan.

Return to “Modifications”