Hub nut won't budge !

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Muffleman

Hub nut won't budge !

Post by Muffleman »

Hi all,

Tried to remove my rear discs at the weekend, but do you think I could get the hubnut off :roll:

In the end, I had a torque wrench set to the hardest setting (200nm) and I was leaning on it hard, but it still wouldn't budge !!!

Any suggestions ?

I tried beer, this did help initally but still couldn't get the nut off. Swearing didn't help either, all that did was annoy the missus who had snuck up on me with a cuppa #-o

Couldn't try punting the cat, he was clever enough to stay away :lol:

As you can see, I've tried everything !!!
Jim S

Re: Hub nut won't budge !

Post by Jim S »

Shouldn't use a torque wrench to undo stuff, you'll damage it and then it won't be accurate.

Go to halfords and buy a bug f*ck off breaker bar, and a can of plusgas or penetrating oil, and a blowtorch.

Get the nut really hot with the blowtorch, squirt the oil on, which will cool it suddenly and help to release any corrosion, then but the breaker bar on and put your back into it :)

As I recall when I did mine, they didn't put up much of a fight...

Hope this is of some help!

Jim.
JJ

Post by JJ »

hang on.... if you only want the discs off, you dont' need to remove the hub nut. The disks are mounted to the hub by those silly screws and relys on the wheel nuts to tighten things up... theres no bearing in the middle of the disc on this type braking system.

Simply remove the screw / or two from the hub section of the brake disk... grind off if need be, then remove the caliper assembly from behind, then big hammer to remove.

:D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

Jim S wrote:Shouldn't use a torque wrench to undo stuff, you'll damage it and then it won't be accurate.

Yeah I know, just using what was to hand - thanks anyway buddy, I'll give your suggestions a try at the weekend.

JJ wrote:hang on.... if you only want the discs off, you dont' need to remove the hub nut. The disks are mounted to the hub by those silly screws and relys on the wheel nuts to tighten things up... theres no bearing in the middle of the disc on this type braking system.

Simply remove the screw / or two from the hub section of the brake disk... grind off if need be, then remove the caliper assembly from behind, then big hammer to remove.

:D

Now that's what I thought mate, but the holding screw was missing and the disc seems very well stuck on ! I'll try again this weekend.

I'm only looking to take off the wheel nuts, do I need to undo the hubnut ?

Cheers

Matt
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Best way I found was to jack the car up, remove wheel, clotter pin and cover, Put wheel back on, lower car, and then get the 2ft breaker bar on it.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

5 ft breaker bar laughs in its face :whistle:
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

:lol:
nuttasie

discs

Post by nuttasie »

hi
Now that's what I thought mate, but the holding screw was missing and the disc seems very well stuck on ! I'll try again this weekend.

you do not need to take off hub nut,and yes disc will seem like is stuck on due to rusting together.just get a hammer and hit face of disc all around and on the edge which faces at 90 degrees to face(soft at first then harder if need be.I have not had a disc which does not come off using this method.

sie
Davidbeaven

Tight, like a ....

Post by Davidbeaven »

I think my one is bit on the tight side ive been tring to get my hub nut undone for a while now, I have manage to snap a 1/2" extension bar in the process, I am now waiting for a mate to lend me a 3/4" drive set to give it some xxxx....

I recon i must have put at least 500N.m into the hub nut and no movement....

To remove the disks the hub nut should deffo stay on!! Try hitting the disk with a hide face hammer, some times they get stuck on with rust...

Cheers
JJ

Post by JJ »

As nuttasie and dave's mentioned... no need to remove it... just try with a hammer... it'll have rusted / fused itself to the hub... quick few swings with a dead weight hammer will get it off ! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Muffleman

Post by Muffleman »

Cheers all, much appreciated \:D/
cantfindausername

Hub nuts are notorious bastards. On my strip down I couldn't get them undone for love nor money. I ended up removing the hud from the shock. GOnna get the driveshafts to a mates garage and get an air gun on them, just hook it up and leave it for half hour or so. :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
dj_davo

Post by dj_davo »

i spent 2 days trying to do mine.
heat didnt work
large breaker bars, torque wrench didnt work
hammer didnt work
rocking the car against a breaker bar didnt work

what did work was driving (in another car) to my mates garage and borrowing his 1 inch drive snap on breaker bar and impact socket.

dont waste your time with piddly tools fella, get some serious ones and the job will be a doddle.
try to borrow a snap on bar though as it cost over 100 quid! :shock:
cantfindausername

:-k So if you tell someone that it costs £500 would it be even easier than if it was £100? :lol:

Only reason Snap-on is so expensive is because is gauranteed for live. But then so is the Halfrauds professional stuff. Maybe not made of as good quality material, but if you get a free one if it breaks, that suits me fine. Rather pay £25 than £100 for what is essentially the same tool.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Mechanical”