T- bar fix didn't work! :-(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MikeyG

T- bar fix didn't work! :-(

Post by MikeyG »

I obviously did something wrong but I tried the sealant/cling film fix last weekend. All was going well as I found a sealant from Halfrauds that said it dried in 24hrs and was translucent. I followed the instructions from a thread on mr2oc put the cling film in place etc etc. Left it about 30 hrs and removed it. To my extreme disappointment the selant hadn't seemed to have dried one bit. Admittedly it had rained for a few hours before I removed the panels to check. Could this have ruined things. I may try again this weekend as I wil be at my parents so I can leave the panels off the car to dry and put the car in the garage. Damn not having a garage!!
MarcMR2

Re: T- bar fix didn't work! :-(

Post by MarcMR2 »

i think it depends whether your seals are actually knackered or not. My t-bar leaked just at the join where the window would meet the t bar seal. There was a join between the two seals that was letting the water run into the cabin. I used a can of 3n1 spray lubricant out of halfrauds and soaked everything including the inside of the seals and it seems to have worked great.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Silicone sealant left exposed in a thin layer may take up to 24hours to dry completely. When you apply thicker quantities and have it covered with something like cling film, it can't breathe, so try leaving it for 5 days or so??? Check how it's set and then possible leave to breathe for another day or so???
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Yeah I did spread it fairly thick. about as much as 3 Cadbury's fingers per seal! Is there any fast drying stuff and if so what is it and where can you get it? I cant have the car off the road or wrapped in cling film for 5 days! Grrr - bloody t-bar's!!
woody

Post by woody »

i put 1 cm of sealant on, placed the panels on(without fixing them down)left it for about 4 hours and they were virtually ready.

i took them out, removed the cling film and left them for a bit longer before cutting off the excess.

shouldnt take anywhere near 24hrs to dry.. :-k
woody

Post by woody »

i'll post photos of my t bars with sealant when i get home.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you dont need that much sealant tbh. The black sealant dries fine in 24 hrs no bother at all
PDR1

Post by PDR1 »

I fitted the optional eccentric rod guides to my rev 1 G-limited 2 weeks ago and it has helped stop the leaks however I am still getting a small leak on the passenger’s side in the area of the windscreen, roof and door window glass. I have noticed that there is a bit of a gap where the window glass meets the seal on the edge of the T-bar roof panel.

I had an idea today but don’t know if it would work…..I thought it might be possible to use black (push-bike) rubber puncture repair patches to build up the area where the gap is?
Brikie

Post by Brikie »

Hi

I have seen the eccentric bars, for the roof, mentioned in various posts. Can anyone give me more info and where to get them?

Cheers
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Brikie wrote:Hi

I have seen the eccentric bars, for the roof, mentioned in various posts. Can anyone give me more info and where to get them?

Cheers

toyota are the only place to buy them brand new. £12 for a set of 4.

All instructions and part no are found on http://mr2.noegruts.com/ttops/ttops.htm
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

woody wrote:i'll post photos of my t bars with sealant when i get home.

have you not got home yet ? :clown: :mrgreen:
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
miss mk1

Post by miss mk1 »

i used black sealant from b&q about £8 - dried in under 24 hours - you have to look at the can though - you need to get one that will 'go off' ie dry - some of them stay tacky- they wont dry. it will say it on the can

T x
Harry

interesting subject

Post by Harry »

challenge-winter coming-interesting ole subject

i love the tbar :!: :wink:

in my opinion some of these ideas might work, :-k

1-highest strenght silicone grease=expensive adds about 25% more life
2-adjust the glass from inside door tighter/higher to upper top of door frame=more seal/door/glass window
3-buy brand new seals
4-buy brand new tbars-they also have seals too
5-check to see if door requires raising-this will bring door frame top closer to rubber seals-remember gravity over time-droopers :lol:
6-special kit-about size of pinkie finger-cant think of the name-its a device
that fits into the tbar locking latch device=makes the locking tigher against seal

do not go to a dealership and spend about 600 or 700 pounds with just brand new seals and hope for a miracle,the only miracle is the money they have taken off you,it might not be the full answers to problems-
see any of above 1-6

for emergency till then...try building up the seals with xx side tape,just follow the seals,add more to the required areas,leave the side/facing
out with seals on so that it is not able to stick, :-s

door now will be tighter to close but an emergency idea,
remember great people talk about ideas,average talk about people, :-k

so come on great people lets bash out all and every possible ideas to
help our fellow imocers-we love a challenge....and helping too.... =D>

:D 8) :lol: :) :whistle: \:D/ :-k :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Harry

ok

Post by Harry »

ok
gw_mr2gtt

Post by gw_mr2gtt »

1-highest strenght silicone grease=expensive adds about 25% more life

Any reccomendations?
The eccentric guide thingymajiggies have been done on mine, but it still leaks a tiny bit after heavy rain.

Thanks!
wrx133

Post by wrx133 »

i need to sort mine out ASAP, my is only leaking where to the tbars meet the sills, its not sitting low enough on the door so ive just order eccentric rods to see if this helps.

Wes
woody

Post by woody »

CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
woody wrote:i'll post photos of my t bars with sealant when i get home.

have you not got home yet ? :clown: :mrgreen:

doh... forgot..

errr... :eye: #-o
miss mk1

Re: interesting subject

Post by miss mk1 »

[quote="Harry"]
do not go to a dealership and spend about 600 or 700 pounds with just brand new seals and hope for a miracle,the only miracle is the money they have taken off you,it might not be the full answers to problems-
see any of above 1-6
quote]

But surely you have some come back if you get them fitted at a dealer and they're still leaking?

Im sick of messing about with mine - just going to bite the bullet and save the money to get them done at our local dealership

T x
Harry

HI-TBARS

Post by Harry »

:-k :sunny:

i know just how you guy's must feel,rain leak in car is not good at all :!:

what will really help is feedback from people who have had this work done at

1-toyota dealership
2-coach work company
3-private

big :?:

after spending big money here will they guarantee leaking,