Old tyre survey

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KyzarVS

Old tyre survey

Post by KyzarVS »

Not sure where this fits - but mechanical seems close enough for me :?

Is it still possible to get to the old tyre survey information that used to be here? I only ask coz my second set of S03s (usually I use proxes) have 0mm (as in completely bald) on the back of my tubby in a little over 5 weeks - not impressed. My usual supply of proxes has dried up so I was looking for alternatives. Wear is completely flat across the tyre so driving style / tyre/wheel angles not a factor - Only thing I could think of that would wear them like this is continuous wheelspin - which I don't do as I'm a grownup :lol:

Anyone else have such a terrible wear rate on the Bridgies? The proxes are much better - 15k km going by receipts and usually it's the edges that are gone from cornering (welsh roads).

Ta,

Joe.
The Morris

Re: Old tyre survey

Post by The Morris »

That would p**s me right off as they are not cheap and i cant imagine they have much more grip than the Proxis. Cant you just buy some Toyos of the net?
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Ian Jones Tyres Tel 01544 230291 Kington, Hereford Powis boarder.
They do all TOYO even the new "rain tyre" £125 for a pair of 225 x 16's
4 weeks ago.

hugo
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Hold on I must have read this wrong.

They went from brand spanking new full tread S03's to bald in 5 weeks?? :shock: Thats crazy. I had mine on for months and used to drive around 35 miles a day on them. High speeds low speeds etc. There was plenty left after 3 months when I took it off the road.

I'd go back to where you got 'em.
KyzarVS

Post by KyzarVS »

Nope, not reading it wrong - 5 soddin weeks and 1800 miles. All on A roads fer sure - if it was just the shoulders of the tread I'd accept it as too much 'enthusiastic' cornering. As it is the missus is well fumed that I had to break into pre-crimbo cash for new tyres and now I'm breaking into post-crimbo recovery cash for more. This is second time I've stumped up for S03s (normally Proxes) and neither time have I been impressed at all. Maybe Bridgestones only work well on Ferraris with german drivers or summat...

Thanks for the heads up on Ian Jones - my once or twice weekly commute is on the A44 from Rhayader to Stratford - I've passed his mobile van no end of times ;o)

Joe - now looking forward to a week of Rover 820 si driving until next pay day - wootywoot.... :o(
Grajey

Post by Grajey »

I get around 6-8 k miles on the rear and 10-12 on the fronts.

I always use SO3's.
Davidbeaven

bu88er!

Post by Davidbeaven »

bu88er!

Is it still possible to get to the old tyre survey information that used to be here? I only ask coz my second set of S03s (usually I use proxes) have 0mm (as in completely bald) on the back of my tubby in a little over 5 weeks - not impressed. My usual supply of proxes has dried up so I was looking for alternatives. Wear is completely flat across the tyre so driving style / tyre/wheel angles not a factor - Only thing I could think of that would wear them like this is continuous wheelspin - which I don't do as I'm a grownup

sounds like someone swaped them while u were asleep!
:lol:
KyzarVS

Post by KyzarVS »

Grajey wrote:I get around 6-8 k miles on the rear and 10-12 on the fronts.

I always use SO3's.

Maybe I'm not that far off then - My proxes last about 20k on the front - that's rediculous wear on S03s for such a small improvement in grip. They are a little bit better than the Toyos for me, but to be honest I only notice it at speeds I shouldn't be doing :wink: Any crash thats down to the difference in grip would be firmly in the 'wtf were you doing going that fast anyway' category :D

Only my opinion - not wanting to get into the great tyre debate or offend anyone!

After all this I take it that tyre guide has gone the way of all things then?

J
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

There's something going on there if they only lasted that long! That is absolutely bonkers.

If there's notning wrong with your suspension (could only think toe may be wrong) then i can't explain how a set of SO3s would go that quickly. They are not that soft really.

Return to “Mechanical”