Aftermarket Radio Installation

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

goomgala

Aftermarket Radio Installation

Post by goomgala »

I have recently designed and built my own speaker/subwoofer box to fit behind the passenger seat in my LHD '86 MR2. My amps are in the mail and my new Kenwood radio just came in this morning. However, when I went to dry fit it, I realized that I have no way to actually mount the radio in the dash. I believe that there are supposed to be some metal mounting brackets in there, but mine does not have them. All I have are the stock screw holes for the original radio (which I do not have). I have found these mounting brackets on ebay and a single din pocket on Prime MR2. Is that all I will need to install my new radio? Any advice will be helpful as I know very little about the stereo for this car. When I bought it, the radio had already been ripped out, so I was not able to learn anything on the disassembly.

Thanks so much.
jimi

Re: Aftermarket Radio Installation

Post by jimi »

1986 is possibly a 1a which didn't have the pocket, it only had a single DIN space and the brackets are different, easy to tell, if your ashtray is to the side of the tunnel its a 1b, if its in front of the gearstick, it's a 1a
This is a 1b

From a previous post of mine
jimi wrote:
This is a picture of my bracket ( MK1b )

and in the car

The MK1a bracket is slightly different in that it doesn't have the lower part for holding the cubby hole. I'm guessing you could use a 1b bracket and cut off the lower portion if you can't get 1a brackets
MK1a brackets ( lower ones in the pic )
hth
Jimi

If the original connector plug is still there you will need an adapter to convert to the standard ISO plug.
goomgala

Post by goomgala »

So I have determined that I have a 1a (the pop open ashtray is right in between the radio and the gear shift) but I am having a hard time finding the right brackets for sale. Do you know of any places that may have these for sale? Or the mk1b ones? Would I be able to find these brackets on any other car from the same year range? I'm sure if I can get my hands on something similar I will be able to make it work for what I need. Afterall, it's only holding on the lightweight radio :lol:
jimi

Post by jimi »

86212-17010 and 86211-17010 are the early brackets. Both early and late are no longer available from Mr T, they were only used on the MK1, so I'd say eBay or one of the MR2 breakers are your only hope.
Good luck with the search

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”