[Mk2] [Turbo] mk2 turbo gearbox failure

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

luke2152

[Mk2] [Turbo] mk2 turbo gearbox failure

Post by luke2152 »

Not having much luck at the moment! I think my gearbox has failed in a major way. Surprisingly didn't do so under any kind of load in fact I was doing about 2mph when the back wheels locked (thank f*ck I wasn't travelling at speed).

Now I can select all gears and drive forwards or backward a couple of metres before it stops violently. In neutral with a wheel jacked up I can turn the wheel easily by hand until it locks up. There is a consistant 1 and 3/4 wheel rotations of freeplay.

Locking under these conditions I can only think it is a failure at one point of the crown gear with the pinion driving ok on the rest of the crown gear. Anyone else think of anything?

I'd built the gearbox myself with a Quaife LSD a couple of years ago and only done a couple of hundred miles so I expect it's probably my workmanship or that I missed identifying a failing component. It gave a couple of warnings making a bit of a bang and then immediately going back to perfect operation before I had a chance to figure out where it was coming from.

Luckily I have a spare E153 box in my shed although I don't really have the time to go fitting it at the moment much less rebuilding it.

Return to “Mechanical”