2GR options for 400-500bhp

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: 2GR options for 400-500bhp

Post by monkeyra »

I've got the tvs1320 (from a lotus) fitted to my 2grfe. Pulls like a train.

If you want a turbo, follow nixspeed racing on facebook, they are currently in the process of producing a single turbo kit for the 2gr. And rat2 motorsports are making a twin turbo 2gr at the moment, again on facebook.

Get all your swap parts from Gouky (Frankenstein motorworks) and Wilheim Raceworks. Quality is brilliant.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Cheers bud, I actually am following the nixspeed kit.

I did think about a supercharger but they are just so expensive compared to a turbo kit. I can have turbo exhaust manifold made to whatever spec I want delivered for about 1200. On the other hand a bone stock 2gr with a charger bolted on would probably work out cheaper. I do much prefer turbo mind you. Yeah I've checked out Frankenstein etc. Will most likely be later in the year i start now as my other business' opening date keeps getting pushed back :(

Looking likely I'll be about £10k all in start to finish.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Yeah, the cost of the SC is a bit of a kicker. I ended up buying a brand new (albeit second hand, the lotus owner bought it for a project but never used it) 1320, still boxed and everything. You also need the lower inlet manifold as well which doesn't come up for sale often, the whole thing is rocking horse schit basically. You also need extra pulleys and some other stuff, Gouky supplied the lot, not sure what he's got in stock now though.

This was back in 2017 though and no-one had turbo'ed a 2GR. It's taken until now to see some progress of this front surprisingly!

The Nixspeed does looks interesting, a 500bhp kit, single turbo, with a flashed ecu. Following with interest...
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I'll deffo be keeping an eye on that. I'll be doing the very least I can to the engine, Basically just rods and pistons. Them doing an ecu does sound vedy appealing! Would take the headache of needing a base map then a proper map out of the equation. Is it a toyota ecu they're going to use?
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

No idea tbh, I'm also wondering the same. I know Gouky can reflash ECU's and he's got a version of the 2-plug ecu which has a boost map on it. Apparently the ECU is very good at learning. Apart from that I'm pretty clueless about them and don't even know what aftermarket options we can use on the 2GR, and who to trust to do it.

The only quote I've ever got was from Swindon Engines who could fit a bosch motorsport ECU for £2200 which I didn't think was bad, but then needed 5 days of engine dyno to calibrate at £900/day. Bit out of my budget!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Link G4 extreme can be used as it supports drive by wire. My mate Kris wired in mine to the current build. He's a genius when it comes to that side of things so i'm fully confidently he could wire one into the 2gr no issue.
Zimmo

Post by Zimmo »

Why would you use the extreme when the G4+ Fury has it as well????

I have a 2GR turbo if you have any questions! Or go to my Instagram: evlmr.2grturbo
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Whichever one works. Makes no difference to me haha! Cheers dude, I'll deffo pester you for info at some point!

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”