Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Dyno results. 420@ the hubs.

Post by Ryan S »

So changed my tyres and ball joints. Car feels much more stable. Tie rod bearings and hub bearing are next.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

So mapping today ha! Turns out my fuel pressure issue is still there. Tested the FPR and that is fine. Chris at Dynatune reckons the pump (bought that from demon tweeks) is knackered. Also, My TPS is knackered as well. How the car was even driving is beyond me let alone driving so well. So...New pump and TPS then back for mapping 🙄

Pump is a 255 walbro. Been whiney as hell from day one and just done 6500 miles. I won't be buying a walbro again. Far too hit or miss.
steven63

pump

Post by steven63 »

Ryan S wrote:So mapping today ha! Turns out my fuel pressure issue is still there. Tested the FPR and that is fine. Chris at Dynatune reckons the pump (bought that from demon tweeks) is knackered. Also, My TPS is knackered as well. How the car was even driving is beyond me let alone driving so well. So...New pump and TPS then back for mapping 🙄

Pump is a 255 walbro. Been whiney as hell from day one and just done 6500 miles. I won't be buying a walbro again. Far too hit or miss.
i have the same pump and cant even hear it
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it's hit or miss. For every person I read having a quiet one there's another saying theirs is noisey. Mine whines horrifically and has done since day one. Ordered an AEM one.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My Walbro 255 is very noisy vs OEM. Correctly installed with rubber damper thing on the hanger, tank is spotless internally. Bought from legitimate seller and nothing on the pump rang alarm bells about being fake, all seems legit.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mine was from demon tweeks. Believed at the time to be genuine. I'm not so sure now! Ordered an AEM 320 one. Ordered a new TPS, Easy enough to get as it's used by about every nissan ever made! So new pump, new tps and bushes getting done on Saturday. Booked in for mapping July 6th.
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Damn buddy! : /

Still glad you are staying so optimistic, these cars are a game of Jenga right? Get the easy stuff and work your way through to the next weakest link.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah it's one thing after another. I'm not too phased by it. It's only a car after all. I'll get there with it eventually ha!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Hope the aem works out for you dude. Honestly great experience on my end
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah fingers crossed, I'm keen to inspect the walbro when it comes out. It has made the worst screechy/whiney noise since the day it went in. It's always bothered me. I actually thought about changing the pump as soon as I heard how loud it was but everyone saying "I have a walbro and they are noisey" convinced me not to bother. I suspected it wasn't right! Hoping to get it in tomorrow.

Inspected my TPS and it is working but it's only reading 25% incriments, 0,25,50,75,100. It's supposed to read in 1% incriments. So deffo not right. Booked for dyno again in a few weeks :)
Equium Duo

Post by Equium Duo »

Yeah I want ot go AEM, I looked at Walbro and as you say "Walbro are noisy" and I dont want that either.

I wanted to go with the Denso Supra alternative, but I cant feel like its roulette on wether you get a genuine one.

AEM seem to have a good reputation.

What fuel pressure are you running?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I set base pressure to 42.5psi with the vac line disconnected. Yeah the supra option I thought about too but for the price of the AEM why even bother?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

New pump in. Completely silent! Got new inner tie rod bushes fitted as well, Still need to do the ones in the hub but replacing the inners has made a massive improvement already. Car feels really sporty now ha!
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:New pump in. Completely silent! Got new inner tie rod bushes fitted as well, Still need to do the ones in the hub but replacing the inners has made a massive improvement already. Car feels really sporty now ha!

Awesome dude. Glad the pumps quieter. I couldn't believe the difference especially considering the aem flows more than the walbro.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Inspected my walbro and it certainly seems to be a genuine one. It's a split new fuel filter but i'm gonna changed that as well. Yeah there is literally no noise from this new pump whatsoever. I'm still getting pretty wild fluctuations on my afr gauge at idle and cruising. There's nothing to indicate my fuel pressure is any better.
steven63

pump

Post by steven63 »

Ryan S wrote:Inspected my walbro and it certainly seems to be a genuine one. It's a split new fuel filter but i'm gonna changed that as well. Yeah there is literally no noise from this new pump whatsoever. I'm still getting pretty wild fluctuations on my afr gauge at idle and cruising. There's nothing to indicate my fuel pressure is any better.
test the flow rate of the pump you removed so to be sure that it was the pump causing the problem
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Yeah we were gonna do that actually. I have a fuel pressure gauge in the dash, It currently suffering from melted wires after it was exposed the dump tube! I should really get it sorted and see what the pressure is doing while driving.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dyno again on Monday. I since found my wastegate wasn't sealing properly so that's been replaced. Currently rerouting it into the downpipe as I hate it. Bushes getting done at the weekend, Gonna fit a new boost solenoid as well. I've checked the new wastegate and it seals perfectly so fingers crossed, Also got a higher spring for it as my current gate is cracking open at 7psi. Hoping to get a nice new engine lid fan thingy off Jaaaaaaaaash on Friday too, I have a thermostatic switch to wire it all in.
fastasfkk

dyno

Post by fastasfkk »

good luck
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Ryan S wrote:Dyno again on Monday. I since found my wastegate wasn't sealing properly so that's been replaced. Currently rerouting it into the downpipe as I hate it. Bushes getting done at the weekend, Gonna fit a new boost solenoid as well. I've checked the new wastegate and it seals perfectly so fingers crossed, Also got a higher spring for it as my current gate is cracking open at 7psi. Hoping to get a nice new engine lid fan thingy off Jaaaaaaaaash on Friday too, I have a thermostatic switch to wire it all in.

awesome, good to fix all these little bits before dyno day :-)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”