The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Not a great deal done over the last few days. Primarily due to sorting outstanding tasks out at work before a much needed holiday.

The mats are now clean, dry and back in. Sans burn mark on the passenger side mat. I also got the Teins out so I could see what condition they were in and to remove the end of the drop links, which we had to cut in order to remove the coilovers. Old nuts and Allen fixings are a recipe for pain in the future. These were no exception. Started off with the drill, then progressed to the hacksaw and ultimately resorted to the angle grinder to get them out! ](*,)

Anyway, fighting over, we end up with these.

Completely different model to what I thought they were. Not sure what to do with them though. Do I do a full prep on them and fit to the car, knowing they did feel really planted. Or do I sell them and look at getting something more modern? :-k The Rev 2 had been set up by Fensport, so the ride was really well dialed in.
craig

Post by craig »

Got these on my car mate. Tein Super street coilovers. They feel great. Get em fitted! :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

I have tein super street on one of my mx5s and used to have them on my rx7. If they feel good I would use them Depends on the end game with the car as if track use would invest in new suspension, etc.
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Worth asking. I'd included some stock side vents that I'd modified with centre bar removed. Strange they weren't included with the car. Pictures in my original sale thread.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:Got these on my car mate. Tein Super street coilovers. They feel great. Get em fitted! :thumleft:

Madabout wrote:I have tein super street on one of my mx5s and used to have them on my rx7. If they feel good I would use them Depends on the end game with the car as if track use would invest in new suspension, etc.

:thumleft: I guess my thinking is whether it's better to buy something up to date instead, as the yearly iterations see the previous top model become the equivalent of the new mid tier etc. Not sure how much they've changed over the last 10+ years :-k

stuMR2lee wrote:Worth asking. I'd included some stock side vents that I'd modified with centre bar removed. Strange they weren't included with the car. Pictures in my original sale thread.

Scanned through your Photobucket link, I see what you were doing now. Like your thinking with them, I'd be tempted to do the same. The stock Gracer style skirts look great but could look even better with some customisation :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

You got that suspension. It works.. don't spend money not needed ;) use it you know it's good
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

stuMR2lee wrote:Worth asking. I'd included some stock side vents that I'd modified with centre bar removed. Strange they weren't included with the car. Pictures in my original sale thread.

I didn't get those when I bought the car at Xmas. Assume the guy you sold it to then sold those on to someone else....
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Ah right. knightrider81 I think was his username. Shame if he just binned the skirts.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:You got that suspension. It works.. don't spend money not needed ;) use it you know it's good

I think that's what I'll do. Not sure when though, as they'll need a good prep before hand and it's not a job I'm that enthralled about doing 8-
muckyman wrote:quot;]I didn't get those when I bought the car at Xmas. Assume the guy you sold it to then sold those on to someone else....

stuMR2lee wrote:Ah right. knightrider81 I think was his username. Shame if he just binned the skirts.

I'll get in touch and see what's happened to them.
ayresyboy

Post by ayresyboy »

If you really want coilovers I'd recommend Meister R's
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ayresyboy wrote:If you really want coilovers I'd recommend Meister R's

Thanks for the recommendation, Andy :)

I think I'll prep and fit the Teins and go from there, if required.

Anyone know where I can get boost piping made? Not keen on the current arrangement for the IC to inlet mani pipe, I'd like to get a single piece made. I know you can buy Greddy fitment kits from the US but they're silly money. I could buy a pipe bender and pipe for what they cost, which is an option :-k

Been out of the country all week and spent far too much time pondering things I'm planning on doing 8-[
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Magic Beans wrote:
ayresyboy wrote:If you really want coilovers I'd recommend Meister R's

Thanks for the recommendation, Andy :)

I think I'll prep and fit the Teins and go from there, if required.

Anyone know where I can get boost piping made? Not keen on the current arrangement for the IC to inlet mani pipe, I'd like to get a single piece made. I know you can buy Greddy fitment kits from the US but they're silly money. I could buy a pipe bender and pipe for what they cost, which is an option :-k

Been out of the country all week and spent far too much time pondering things I'm planning on doing 8-[

Most exhaust fabrication places will do intercooler piping too, alternatively the berk technology one piece top pipe for the Greddy style intercooler kits is good quality and fits well. (I have one on my car, pics in my thread somewhere)
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

There's a custom exhaust place on the industrial estate where you work Phil, there quite helpful I've had a few bits and pieces done by them
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

C35Rob wrote:Most exhaust fabrication places will do intercooler piping too, alternatively the berk technology one piece top pipe for the Greddy style intercooler kits is good quality and fits well. (I have one on my car, pics in my thread somewhere)

I've had a look at the Berk offering; looks good. Getting hold of one might be more tricky these days, but it's a solid option, thanks :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

thomp1983 wrote:There's a custom exhaust place on the industrial estate where you work Phil, there quite helpful I've had a few bits and pieces done by them

Good call. I went to see them back in the Mule I days, as I was looking to have a custom exhaust made. Good guys, I'll pop over and see them when I'm in the office next :)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Not done an awful lot recently, due to being away on a much needed holiday. I've come back more tired than when I left, returning to a mountain of outstanding projects to catch up on. Still, nice to be away though, eh :-k :lol:

Went out for a proper drive out on Sunday, as I've not really had chance to still doing all the work. The chassis feels great, really planted. The exhaust, while being a lot louder due to the lack of a silencer, sounds awesome! On a warm (900rpm) idle it makes a great rumble, which ties in nicely with the whole car shaking due to the poly'd mounts etc.

One thing I have spotted is I now have a boost leak somewhere, which must be the result of the IC having been removed and re-fitted #-o The boost controller is set to 1.15 bar but it only really hits 1.1bar max and doesn't hold at that. Now I have the angles of the pipe orientations I've pull them out again in one piece and check/adjust them as required. The plan is to replace them with one piece pipes, as I'm not keen on a sea of pipe pieces, hoses and clamps. That or I replace the lot with a chargecooler set-up, which sets me up for any future developments. Might as well buy now while I have a requirement to sort something, than buy twice in the future :-k

A few small jobs done. First is part of project "Back to black", related to the boost/vac piping in the engine bay. The palette for the car is black and white, with the odd splash of red to tie in to it being a Rev 5. As such the blue piping, as good as it might be, has to go.

The stock pieces were lifted from Mule VII, cleaned/treated then installed.

Small steps towards the wider goal. No rush with it all, it can be done as/when I focus on each area for some reason.

One other step completed too. Can you see what...? :wink: It's actually made sod all difference, after all that :lol:

I've got a couple of free nights coming up, so back to business as usual.
craig

Post by craig »

Coming along nicely mate. I'm personally not a fan of blue/red/bright hoses in the engine bay either.

More a "black and silver" man :mrgreen:

additional small change - recirculating pipe to the dump valve refitted? What do I win? :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Correct. You win the adoration of this smoking boy and his chicken :mrgreen:

After all the effort the recirc solution sounds barely any different. A bit less of the "Pssshhh" I guess :roll:

Pulled the cold side piping last night, checked the angles and put it all back together. Still only hitting 1.1bar #-o Feels like it's pulling pretty well though, it just doesn't quite get to what it's set at. Although, I never checked to see what it hit before, so I could be chasing shadows right now :-k
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

Might be worth re-setting the GFB back to factory settings and starting again. You may have done this already though.

I liked the blue Hoses:)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

stuMR2lee wrote:Might be worth re-setting the GFB back to factory settings and starting again. You may have done this already though.

I liked the blue Hoses:)

Thought about doing this but wasn't sure if any other settings had been made to Gain, Duty etc? Opted with the cautious approach first 8-[

I was conscious of ripping the blue out, especially as it was something I used to want in my cars. Just going for the ultra stealth black and white look this time. Forgive me? :pray: :wink:

Return to “Member Profiles”