The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by ashley »

androo007 wrote:We're only really here for the love of the car due to its:

- Ease of tuneability
- Ease to work on and play with
- Availability of parts on a reasonable budget
- Impressive performance that can be achieved without breaking the bank
- Nimble handling, and fun factor/ challenge to get the best out of thew chassis

If it wasn't for these I'd be playing with a 911 instead, but I simply cannot afford the cost of the associated parts :lol:
Last edited by ashley on Fri May 12, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Chassis work was the next thing on my list with Mule II, along with aero improvements and weight reduction.

The base car felt good but never really gave me the confidence I'd heard so many other talk about. It was a combination of the lowering springs, instead of proper coilovers, the enormous tyres and their profiles. A set of coilovers and aftermarket ARBs would improve things for sure. The turbo also doesn't help, because when it comes it comes pretty hard. So if the chassis isn't well set up it just tries to break free, or light the wheels up.

That engine though, never missed a beat once. The heart of that car was strong. I still miss the noise :lover:

I guess the decision now is what do I get next :-k :-k Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, MX5, something else? :-k :-k Not looking for anything too serious, as in you feel like you're its custodian rather than a play mate. So things like a 240Z aren't on the list right now. Plus the house build hasn't happened and my agreement was once the house is built, along with a workshop, that's when it's Z time.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Umm, so Mule VIII is a thing... 8-[ :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Breaker thread now up: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192546

Mule VIII in T minus 6 days \:D/
JD

Post by JD »

It's large and American, isn't it?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

JD wrote:It's large and American, isn't it?

Not this time :wink: I'd need a bigger driveway for one of those :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

T minus 2 days! \:D/

Insurance is sorted and the train booked. Just two more sleeps!

I'll not put up loads of photos of the Rev 2 breaking, doesn't seem right. However, this thread being what it is, it must be documented.. So.. breaking is well underway. It's sat on ramps at the moment, with the subframe now dropped and the engine about to come out. Many things have or are about to have new homes, so things will start moving pretty quickly. A choice selection of parts have been earmarked for the new car, which is making for a pretty exciting end product!

Roll on Saturday!
craig

Post by craig »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
ashley

Post by ashley »

Mk I,II or III or are we looking at something blue with an extra couple of pistons in it :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Magic Beans wrote:T minus 2 days! \:D/

Insurance is sorted and the train booked. Just two more sleeps!

I'll not put up loads of photos of the Rev 2 breaking, doesn't seem right. However, this thread being what it is, it must be documented.. So.. breaking is well underway. It's sat on ramps at the moment, with the subframe now dropped and the engine about to come out. Many things have or are about to have new homes, so things will start moving pretty quickly. A choice selection of parts have been earmarked for the new car, which is making for a pretty exciting end product!

Roll on Saturday!

Oi dont forget my very poorly elbow!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

ashley wrote:Mk I,II or III

Yes :mrgreen:

ashley wrote:or are we looking at something blue with an extra couple of pistons in it :-k

You very nearly were. That car was so similiar to Mule 1 and how I ultimately wanted the car to look! Even the wheels were almost the same, albeit a lesser TE37 style equivalent. Ultimately though it was the lack of base power that put me off. I'd need to boost it in some way to get what I'd want from it and that was going to cost more than I felt the end result would be worth.

The car I'm buying is pretty much the perfect MR2, in my eyes. It's not the first time it's crossed my path either... :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:Oi dont forget my very poorly elbow!

Oh, yes. Sorry about that, on behalf of the car.. :oops: :wink:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well, it was definitely an eventful day, but I am pleased to say Mule VIII is home! :cheers:

Before I get on to the day's happening etc I thought I'd share a bit of a history moment.. Are you sitting comfortably? :lol:

Many moons ago, back when I had fewer grey hairs and wasn't that far in to my Mule journey, a certain event happened that spelled the demise of Mule 1 and the start of the hunt for Mule II. I had a freshly tuned Mule heart and was looking to transplant it in to a new shell. I'd whittled down a long list of options to just two remaining candidates. One of them was Mule II as you know her, the option was a Rev 5 turbo T bar that was being sold by Chris. I'll spare you my thought process in making the ultimate decision, but I made my decision and Mule II was born. Ever since then I've always questioned my decision, as both were really strong candidates for different reasons. There was always that "What if?" lingering in my mind though.

Cut to several years and several Mules later, I find myself in a new predicament. The Rev 5 I had was sold, the Rev 2 was canned and I was left looking for something to fill the void 5 months of car dramas had left me with. I'd been toying with a whole host of different options. MR2s (Mk1, 2 & 3s), MX5s, shouty 'Murica mobiles, all manner of things. To be honest I'd looked so much I was getting a bit burnt out and was at the point where I was ready to part out Mule VII and call it a day for a while. Then while on a late night trawl through IMOC, looking at cars I was considering etc, I went back to look at an ad for a certain Rev 5 turbo being sold by Michael (muckman). It all suddenly made sense to me! The car was aesthetically exactly what I wanted, it had obviously been very well cared for and the only bits I felt it needed were things I had on Mule VII! How I hadn't thought of it sooner is beyond me?! It was essentially Mule VI completed to how I wanted it to be, with the ability to fuse in the best of Mule VII. The net result, to me, was my ultimate MR2. It then dawned on me that back when I was looking for my first MR2 it was a white Mk2 T bar turbo I wanted. Albeit back then I had no clue what I was looking at and eventually bought Mule 1, but there it was! The day after realising what I'd found I went down to see said Rev 5 turbo. As soon as I saw it I was smitten and had one of those "Throw cash at screen" moments. The outcome was inevitable.. :lol:

During the following week Craig mentioned he thought it was Chris' old car and after a quick search it was confirmed! I'd somewhere found myself in the position where I was buying the car I'd so nearly bought all those years ago and had always wished I had. I'm not one for fate and all that nonsense, but it was all feeling like a damn big coincidence!

Cut to yesterday.. What a day that was... The train was booked and the journey planned. I was driving down to Birmingham to get a train from New Street, because Adrienne had a wedding dress shopping day planned and it made sense to go from there. Hit the M1 and started cruising, safe in the knowledge I had about 45 minutes in hand, good times! :D Got to just before J25 and everything stopped, completely. The type of stop where you're there so long disgruntled men get out of their cars and start wandering about muttering to each other, which they did :roll: I sat there watching the sat nav ETA creep up, minutes passing by. Cut to about 45 minutes later and things started moving. The disgruntled men all bolted back to their cars, with one having to dive in as the car drove past! :lol: By now the sat nav was telling me I'd get to New Street about 3 minutes after the train was due to leave #-o #-o :| :| I made the call and decided to ditch that train and catch another one, from a different station etc. Cost me another £50 for the privilege though.. :evil:

A few hours, a couple of train changes and some pretty grim station coffee later I arrived in St Albans. Met up with Michael, we did the paperwork and I was then given a demonstration of the PSVR. It's a lot of fun! Business settled we headed down to get the car. I busted out my camera, because photos are life :lol: and grabbed the first shot of the car :lover:

This thing is immaculate! One of the cleanest all round MR2 I've ever seen! It was obvious it had been really well cared for and someone loved this machine.

I moved round to the other side, then spotted this #-o

Nightmare time for a random puncture, but it happens though. We had to come up with a solution pretty quickly, so stuck some air in the tyre and moved the car back; big old screw right inbetween the tread. Driving it back with a space saver on wasn't an option, so we limped it to an ATS Tyres a few streets down. They were fully booked, which is understandable, given it was about 4pm on a Saturday. They were good enough to put some air in the tyre, which gave us enough to get to a Kwik Fit, which I'd been calling while this was happening. We rolled over to Kwik Fit, which had the friendliest manager I've ever known and they set out repairing it. Thankfully due to where it was it was a simple fix, which was at least small mercy :)

That wasn't the photo I wanted to use as a FB introduction, but hey, it's a Mule, it comes with the territory :lol:

Tyre fixed and everything sorted we dropped Michael off and I started the journey home :cheers: By now I was THE MOST hungry person in the world, so stopped off to grab something to eat. Oh, and to geek out a photo too :mrgreen:

Fed and watered I carried on, then weather happened! I can't remember a single time I've driven up or down the M1 in an MR2 without it being Weathermageddon and true to form yesterday was no exception! Those of you who remember the days of Mule 1 will remember how that all ended, on the M1... :pale: I still have MR2 PTSD from the whole time :lol: It was pretty brutal out and a sea of stupid was happening around me :roll: It came and went, twice and the car drove like an absolute dream. Solid as a rock and a joy to drive. Definitely a contrast to some I've driven in the past in similar conditions.

A chunk of time and miles later, a now dirty Rev 5 and I arrived home :D

The Germans (cars) of the household were introduced and the Rev 5 tucked away for the night. Leaving me in need of a good drink, which I had! Took a few last shots before that though, as always :wink:

This will be my last MR2 Mule, possibly the last Mule ever. I certainly have no plans or desire to go for anything else anytime soon. As such this will essentially be my MR2 swan song, my ultimate MR2. Every last MR2 itch I have ever had will be scratched with this car. It's already a damn good base and I don't intend to do anything significant to the styling etc, it's perfect. The rest, however, you'll see over the coming months :wink:

So I guess that wraps things up for now. I want to say a big thanks to Michael, it's been a pleasure. I think I need to meet stuMR2lee at some point, I think we'll get on very well. We seem to share a similar attention to detail :lol: Best go and wash her now :mrgreen:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice words, as ever. Can't wait to meet the new arrival :)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good stuff Phil, I assume you mean Chris Isles's old car? Will be good to see it with a decent power plant in it again :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Good write up Phil. Car looks fantastic! Tuned in for developments, inevitable really :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ben wrote:Nice words, as ever. Can't wait to meet the new arrival :)

Soon. Needs to meet your new angry Italian :wink:

ashley wrote:Good stuff Phil, I assume you mean Chris Isles's old car? Will be good to see it with a decent power plant in it again :thumleft:

That's the one :) Well, assuming you mean the one he bought and converted, not his original big power build?

No plans to touch the engine just now. To be honest, it drives really well as it is. I'd forgotten how good a CT20b is, in terms of spool time and power delivery.

craig wrote:Good write up Phil. Car looks fantastic! Tuned in for developments, inevitable really :mrgreen:

O:)

It is inevitable and it will begin after next weekend :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Yep, nothing wrong with the CT20b turbo mate. Old skool, but Toyota got it pretty spot on with it, great for a road car. :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Well done Phil on the new car mate. After our conversations glad to see you got something sorted.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Magic Beans wrote:Ultimately though it was the lack of base power that put me off

Magic Beans wrote:I'd forgotten how good a CT20b is, in terms of spool time and power

:lol: :lol:

We'll see how long that view lasts :twisted:

Return to “Member Profiles”