The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Madabout »

Good work on the car mate. Looks like your red mr2 and my red mr2 have both been getting some welding TLC and rust prevention treatment recently.

Good luck getting it all done.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm quite excited to see what the red one becomes. If I do decide to do any styling changes it's probably going to be last on the list, unless it ties in with other performance/aero changes I'm doing.

The feelers for selling the Rev 5 have started. Got a couple of leads for it, so we'll see... It does need saving from becoming a breaker. However, the more I look at it, the more I see bits that I'd move to the red one. In a bizarre complete flip of outcomes, when it was supposed to be the other way around! :o
Ben

Post by Ben »

Absolutely no point breaking it IMO. Aside from the fact that it'd be a crying shame to see a nice stock Rev5 heading off to the knackers yard, there's nothing actually wrong with it bar a bit of surface rust which you've already said is only minor.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a respray - you wouldn't recoup it in the value of the car for a long time. White is very forgiving for the odd repair (as my old mk1 is testament to) and people generally value overall originality over fresh paint - best bet (again, IMHO) would be to repair the bits that need repairing, give it a good service and actually drive it for a bit. Then you can decide if it's worth hanging onto long-term or moving on, and it won't have cost you very much at all in the interim.

Stop thinking, start doing! :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Key issues are the lack or time, space and willingness to do two cars at once. I've considered the wider options (probably to the nth degree) and these are what I consider to be the only two logical solutions.

It would be relatively easy to sort what's required, with the end result being a lovely little car. Alas I'm just not the guy to make that happen right now.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well, now's the right time of year to sell a T-Bar ;)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Draven

Post by Draven »

I certainly wouldn't want to handle two cars at once. You can't fully focus on either. :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Draven wrote:I certainly wouldn't want to handle two cars at once. You can't fully focus on either. :thumleft:

I cnstantly have tnis issue...
craig

Post by craig »

Now you've started restoring the rev 2, and seems the one you're set on doing, I'd probably be looking at selling the rev 5. As Ben said, summer's coming, T bar weather!! :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Agreed. I'll put it up for sale on here later today and on eBay after that. Be good to see it go to an IMOC member and them restore it, but I'm ultimately not that precious what happens to it.

If I had the triple garage I've long wanted this wouldn't be an issue. It could sit alongside the 240Z I'd be slowly building at the same time.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

While I've been over in Frankfurt, being wined & dined (well, fried stuff and Weissbier :lol: ), things have happened...

What's the worst driver's side sill rot you've ever seen...? :-k Maybe this?! :shock:

Where to start with it? Here I guess.

Ta daaa.

Wedling complete, painting complete and tidied up, time for its MOT :o :pray: 8-[ :pale:

Well I'll be, would you look at that! :D

Sufficed to say it had a sedate life this last few years!

Big thanks to Pete for his help to get it where it needed to be :clap: :thumleft: Also a big thanks to *insert name here* welder for his work and feeding over photos. We all know I like progress shots... :whistle:

Released and ready to go play in the big wide world, with other race car friend.

Tucked away now. Only 7 days until I actually get to see, and more importantly, drive it! \:D/

Next up is when things really start to happen!
Last edited by Magic Beans on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Great progress mate! Car looks great. Proper retro. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:Great progress mate! Car looks great. Proper retro. :thumleft:

:) Retro is most certainly is.

Might replace the orange sidelights with these, that I have spare.

Can they be cleaned up? Do they come apart, so I can clean the mould and dirt out of them? Don't really want to attack them with tools, only to ruin them 8-[
Last edited by Magic Beans on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Nice, they will look smart.

They can be cleaned up yeah, I did this with mine:

1. Domestos/water solution. Remove harnesses and side pieces solution just deep enough submerge the lens faces only. Avoid getting water in the rubber grommet/bulb holder holes as it takes ages to dry them out!

2. Leave them overnight. Then use a toothbrush to get all the crud/moss out of the edges. T-cut and polish when dry. Fit to car.

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Beauty, thanks :)

The lenses don't come away from the backs then?
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Beauty, thanks :)

The lenses don't come away from the backs then?

No prob mate, no the lenses don't come away from the housings. They could be persuaded I guess, but I wouldn't recommend attempting it!!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:thumleft:

Job for the weekend then :)
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

They'll come apart with a heat gun, I've a spare orange set and a heat gun if you want to give it a try
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Do they go back together afterwards?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

They do, I'm in the states till Wednesday but I'll be going to Sutton Thursday I can drop them to your work or leave them at your house

Return to “Member Profiles”